autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Confusion

Good lord what is on that paint?! What an amazing looking car!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes Belo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Good lord what is on that paint?! What an amazing looking car!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thanks DETAILROOKIE,
    After claying, I put one coat of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant followed by a coat of Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Wax.

4. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another question regarding my coatings...
    When I got this car from the dealer, they had "detailed" it...which I assume was a quick coat of a wax. So, before I applied Wolfgang Deep Gloss PS I washed and clayed the car. Was it a mistake for me not to remove any existing wax from the dealer with something like Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer before putting my sealant on?

Post Thanks / Like

Not a huge problem, but in the future I would remove all existing LSPs and start with a clean slate to get the best shine. Wash, iron-x, clay, wash, polish/correct, panel wipe, apply LSP.

7. Thanks lkaten thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just want to be sure I’ve got it right and that SiO2 products are compatible with all that I am doing...I can use the Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash as my routine wash and continue to use Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax over that? ...and use Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz between washes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lkaten View Post
    Just want to be sure I’ve got it right and that SiO2 products are compatible with all that I am doing...I can use the Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash as my routine wash and continue to use Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax over that? ...and use Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz between washes?
    yes.

Basically wax can cover just about any and everything. but not everything or even most things should be put on top of a wax. For example, most if not all sealants and ceramic coatings should be put on a clean slate. But a wax can cover just about anything without any real harm. Think about the fact that many LSPs need to adhere to the paint, and wax will basically prevent this (that's kind of what it's for haha)

Just to add to some confusion though, many of the LSPs have recommendations for what to use as a maintenance wash/wax/extender.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Freaking amazing car wash.

Oh wow. That's something right there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    yes.

Basically wax can cover just about any and everything. but not everything or even most things should be put on top of a wax. For example, most if not all sealants and ceramic coatings should be put on a clean slate. But a wax can cover just about anything without any real harm. Think about the fact that many LSPs need to adhere to the paint, and wax will basically prevent this (that's kind of what it's for haha)

Just to add to some confusion though, many of the LSPs have recommendations for what to use as a maintenance wash/wax/extender.
    The chemistry of all these coatings is interesting. So, WGDGPS needs clean paint to adhere to...then a wax like Pinnacle Souveran Liquid can top it. If Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz and Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash can then make any difference in the shine and beading properties of the paint, it would seem that the polymers and SiO2 are able to pass through the wax topper to adhere to the sealant or adhere to the wax as another top layer. There must be a point where the optical properties of the paint coatings don't improve any more with more applied layers...and I wonder what the order of the coatings does to the beading properties, gloss, and depth of shine. Does it still make sense to use Pinnacle Spray Wax after every wash if I use the Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash on a regular basis? Just wondering if anybody has experimented with using these products (including the SiO2 Coating Wash) and changing up what the last applied top coat is.

Post Thanks / Like

someone said it before, if you stick with the same brand I think you'll have better luck mixing and matching because they do pretty extensive testing within their own products. everything else is a gamble.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

13. Thanks lkaten thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12