autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bucket List Buff - 1968 Shelby Mustang GT350 - Original Paint by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    No way man, there’s some crazy stuff that goes on in a detailing marathon off camera.

Including but not limited to: Strange stretches, scratching bodily crevices, dancing and talking to oneself.
    Bingo

Mike Phillips

Re: Bucket List Buff - 1968 Shelby Mustang GT350 - Original Paint by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post

Here's a neat idea, set-up a webcam so we can watch the transformation in awe!!

Yancy set up a GoPro camera for me one time to do a Time Lapse. It is the first ever time lapse capture for wetsanding a car from start to finish.

I did the work from start to finish in 12 hours. 8 hours the first day and 4 hours the next day. I did the job in as fast as humanly possible while maintaining pro quality results. It was a convertible so I didn't have the a-pillars, roof and sail panels to deal with but still - a large car.

Here's a still shot from the video.

The full write-up plus the process I used and before and after pictures of the orange peel can be seen here,

How to wet sand a car - Time Lapse Video

A few months after I did this there was a similar video made at Meguiar's - the noticeable different between the videos is in our video it's me doing all the work. In their video they have a TEAM of guys that did the work.

3. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post

Here's a neat idea, set-up a webcam so we can watch the transformation in awe!!

Hmm.... webcam or time lapse?

Post Thanks / Like

Are these the same two Mustangs recently found in a warehouse after 15 years of storage/being forgotten?
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...

Would you believe I just read this article this morning, and here they are...awesome!

Two dusty Ford Mustang Shelby GT500s parked in warehouse for 15 years worth a fortune | Fox News

When I was a kid, my dad owned a strip of concrete behind our attached house in Forest Hills, NY, when they were still playing the US Open tennis tournament there. For those two weeks, I would hold up a Parking sign at the bottom of the block (Yellowstone Boulevard).

A guy pulled up and asked how much...in a Shelby GT350 fastback, white with blue stripes. Fell in love.

He became a regular, and needless to say, when he drove up the driveway, I would beat him to the spots, pull my father's 1966 VW Squareback out of our garage, and let him have it

Eric

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    No way man, there’s some crazy stuff that goes on in a detailing marathon off camera.

Including but not limited to: Strange stretches, scratching bodily crevices, dancing and talking to oneself.
    lmaooo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hmm.... webcam or time lapse?

Time lapse would probably make more sense.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Update....

I go inspect the two Shelby Mustangs tomorrow at 10:00am

I'll share swirl shots next week. That's Swirl Shots, not Squirrel Shots.

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

11. Likes Goonie75, SWETM liked this post
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1st one, I wouldn't be able to detail it. I wouldn't be able to get past sitting in the drivers seat and pretending to drive it like I was a 5 year old again. BEAUTIFUL

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Mike!

Will be fun to follow your work on these beutieful cars!

I was at a car show a couple of weeks ago in my hometown. It's called Nostalgia Festival and is a magazine behind it with classic cars. I looked a lot on the paint conditions on the cars and they where okay with some high and lows.

There where a restored Shelby Mustang 1970 GT350. It has been looked over by AACA and aproved.

Was a story behind the 1970 Mustangs that they are 69' and where carefully looked over by FBI when Shelby bought the rest of Mustangs 69' and made some as 70' and put the chassi numbers on them. The paintwork is made to look as original as possible. It has the original Shelby 5scoop hood and trunk lid and fenders in the fiberglass material. Would have looked perfect after you have made your magic with the polisher on it!

A picture of it.

Will be awesome to see what products you use on these originals.

/ Tony

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast