autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The COMET Technique by Mike Phillips - 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

So would you do this and then still do the M7

Mike Phillips

Re: The COMET Technique by Mike Phillips - 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post

So would you do this and then still do the M7

Good question Mike.

The answer is "no". And that's also what I "didn't" show the #7 Rub Down Technique in the write-up or list it as a "step" in this thread.

I went from the Comet to the BLACKFIRE One Step.

The Comet trick is NOT for all cars and all paint and all people.

Mike Phillips

For anyone reading this into the future

When you read my original article on how, when and why to do the #7 Rub Down to restore neglected antique and original single stage paint. In about the 3rd paragraph in the first post of the thread, I made the word important bold and red text.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

I did this because too many people don't read. They just scan. So they miss the sentence with the word important. It's there for a reason as well as the entire sentence and that paragraph.

From the above article...

What to do

If preserving the original paint is important to you then the first thing you want to do is condition the paint before working on it. Most people just jump right in and start rubbing some type of abrasive compound over old, dry, fragile paint and this will remove a lot of paint quickly and possible remove too much. Instead, take the extra step of conditioning the paint and bring it back to life with product that's been around since cars and thus car paints have been around.

For a lot of people, whatever it is they are working on, it's NOT important to them. For these people, the technique I share in the above article is NOT for them. They might as well do whatever it is they would normally do, like I said in the second sentence of the above paragraph after the sentence with the word IMPORTANT in it.

Most people just jump right in and start rubbing some type of abrasive compound over old, dry, fragile paint and this will remove a lot of paint quickly and possible remove too much

It just depends on you and the car and what you care about and what you want.

One thing I know, I've seen a lot of Facebook Experts just start with compound on everything. Not my kind of approach but I get it.

I'm a very careful and deliberate writer. I've dealt with the stellar people in this world as well as the dregs of society and it has sharpened my skills.

Post Thanks / Like

I apologize, Mike, if I missed it but...

I fully understand the use and benefits of Meg's #7 for old single stage paints. You clearly point out the benefits to the paint preservation of why you treat it first. What I'm not clear on is why the Comet trick is used in lieu of #7.

I get the Comet trick is used in certain and probably rare cases but when specifically would you do the Comet trick on one and Meg's #7 on another? Is it specifically used for severely oxidized white paint only?

Just trying to fine tune my knowledge.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

I apologize, Mike, if I missed it but...

I fully understand the use and benefits of Meg's #7 for old single stage paints. You clearly point out the benefits to the paint preservation of why you treat it first. What I'm not clear on is why the Comet trick is used in lieu of #7.

I get the Comet trick is used in certain and probably rare cases but when specifically would you do the Comet trick on one and Meg's #7 on another? Is it specifically used for severely oxidized white paint only?

Just trying to fine tune my knowledge.

Great questions and I have 2 answers as to why "I" would use the Comet trick and not the #7 trick.

[b]1: Single stage white paint uses titanium dioxide for pigment. This mineral is very hard and this in turn makes the paint resin hard. In other words, old single stage white paint jobs on cars like this Cadillac are BULLET PROOF. So the top is chalky and oxidized but under it exists a hard base with all of it's integrity.

This type of paint job, the paint that is on the car in this write-up will take a BEATING. Or take a careful Comet wash. And this simply CHEWS off all the old dead, oxidized paint revealing the intact base and this means I can de-oxidize it quick and not waste any #7 or clog-up all my buffing pads with dead paint.

Reason 1 make sense?

[b]2: This car was not IMPORTANT to me, nor to the owner. It was for sale. I don't mean to be callous, but no one came to me asking if I could SAVE the original paint because it was IMPORTANT to them. It did end up getting sold to a friend of mine, I'll did up his other car we detailed down here. But at the time Ray and I busted this out I had know idea where it was going, who would be the owner and this was a FREEBIE.

And the above is in the context that I STILL knew what I was doing and did no harm to the paint. I would not do the Comet trick to a darker colored car where the owner CARED about PRESERVING the original paint. A car that was IMPORTANT to someone. Remember - I made the word IMPORTANT in my original article in bold red text for a reason.

Reason 2 make sense?

Good questions, thank you for asking. Probably can't find anyone on a Facebook Group or Instagram or Twitter that can share this type of nitty-gritty car detailing information.

6. Thanks Paul A., mc2hill thanked for this post
    Likes Farmallluvr, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Mike. Perfectly explained and logical answers. Both answers make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

In the early 90's I did a lot of cars this way that were destined for the auction house,,a quick Comet job and then a quick polish and ship it,,color didn't matter but speed did ,,most of these cars were from the 70's and 80's
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Mike Phillips

Will be sharing this technique in a LIVE detailing class today...

Here's where you can watch LIVE on Thursday's at 3:00pm Eastern Time

YouTube - You can interact LIVE via the comments section

Facebook - You can interact LIVE via the comments section

Autogeek.com - The products showcased are also on this page

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123