autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?

My first post everyone, go easy. And thanks for all of your posts here....days and days of reading for me.

Wife is picking up her brand new BMW M550 in an amazing Black Azurite color (Dealer is not touching it, I am getting it straight off the truck). I am going to prep/coat my daily with CSL and EXO to get my first experience doing a Ceramic. I have been a Jescar/Collinite/Beadmaker guy for awhile but the dust and pollen here in AZ is kicking our butts....

but! I am not really liking the feedback I am reading and seeing on EXO. Now I am considering doing CQUK 3.0, but it does not seem to be a great install process for someone who hasn't done it before where CSL seems to be pretty easy.

What is the thought on doing CSL, topping with Gliss and Reload? All three look pretty easy and hard to mess up.

Thanks for any advice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?

My recommendation is to stick with the product family to avoid install issues.

Exo is not that much harder to install compared to CSL. Just takes a bit more due diligence to wipe off the excess residue. Multiple towels come in handy for Exo.

CQUK 3.0 is not that hard to install either. Topping it with Gliss is a fun option. TiO2 is a bit easier to work with and a good coating in its own right. Can also be topped with Gliss.

If you are not ready to go to a full blown coating Cquartz Lite and Gyeon CanCoat are great options.

3. Likes BudgetPlan1, Bruno Soares, Paul A., Loach liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome idea Guz, thanks

I may have to punt....looks like it will be 110-115 degrees when we pick it up on the 21st....I will check into the ti02 too. The cquartz lite also has my full attention right now.....but I may just be wimping out a little....locking something in for "years" has me a little paranoid on a brand new ride

Post Thanks / Like

Give CQ Lite a try. Pretty straight forward to use. No need to worry about flash times. Essentially on and off.

Here is my review of it

Review - CarPro Cquartz Lite

For maintenance you could keep it pretty simple with CarPro Elixir or if you like invest in Reload and alternate between the two. I have a review on Elixir as well.

Review - CarPro Elixir Quick Detailer

6. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just did my 1st/2nd coating and used CQUK3 with can coat on top. Just make sure to have good lighting to see high spots. If you’ve got that it’s pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Medicaptain View Post
    ...but I may just be wimping out a little....locking something in for "years" has me a little paranoid on a brand new ride
    If you've got a black car that you daily drive and are even mildly OCD-ish about it's appearance, anything over 2 years as far as longevity goes is pretty pointless IMO. It's a tough world out there and you will pick up some defects and marring through daily use and maintenance over the course of 2 years so you'd likely be re-polishing and applying something new at the end of that time anyway. I just don't understand the appeal of "5 to 7 year" longevity products on daily drivers despite the marketing claims of it being the best way to go.

Having recently (2 or 3 months ago) done 2 identical vehicles, 1 with CSL and EXOV4 and one with CQ UK 3.0 + Gliss V2, I prefer the CQUK3/Gliss combo. Many rave about how awesome the Gtechniq stuff is and it certainly is nice but isn't as all-out, crazy awesome as folks make it out to be since I've been watching both vehicles daily. All personal preference though so YMMV.

I think one thing folks tout about the Gtechniq stuff is CSL has a greater claimed longevity but again, 2 years in on a black vehicle will make that kinda pointless. At least aht's been my experience owning/coating and living with 2 black cars.

Although I'm a certified coating junkie, sometimes I wonder if the best way to go if *extremely* OCD-ish about the appearance of black paint, something like Gyeon CanCoat or Cquartz Lite....easier and cheaper to fix/reapply as necessary when the roads throw ya a curve ball...

10. Likes Bruno Soares, rlmccarty2000, Loach liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Give CQ Lite a try. Pretty straight forward to use. No need to worry about flash times. Essentially on and off.

Here is my review of it

Review - CarPro Cquartz Lite

For maintenance you could keep it pretty simple with CarPro Elixir or if you like invest in Reload and alternate between the two. I have a review on Elixir as well.

Review - CarPro Elixir Quick Detailer
    Thanks Guv...great reviews, thanks for all your work for our benefit. It will be CQ Lite with Elixir...after 6 months I will step up to the big boy stuff when it's cooler and easier to work on.

12. Likes The Guz, Bruno Soares, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You will enjoy it. The coating will probably last you close to a year as CarPro has stated it will.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you may already be dissuaded away from the GTechniq line but let me offer my experience on it.

My biggest problem with coatings has always been water spotting. I'm currently testing out CSL+EXO v4 and have been impressed with how the EXO keeps them to a minimum. So far this combo has been the best of the 4 coatings I've tried in dealing with spotting.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    If you've got a black car that you daily drive and are even mildly OCD-ish about it's appearance, anything over 2 years as far as longevity goes is pretty pointless IMO. It's a tough world out there and you will pick up some defects and marring through daily use and maintenance over the course of 2 years so you'd likely be re-polishing and applying something new at the end of that time anyway. I just don't understand the appeal of "5 to 7 year" longevity products on daily drivers despite the marketing claims of it being the best way to go.

Having recently (2 or 3 months ago) done 2 identical vehicles, 1 with CSL and EXOV4 and one with CQ UK 3.0 + Gliss V2, I prefer the CQUK3/Gliss combo. Many rave about how awesome the Gtechniq stuff is and it certainly is nice but isn't as all-out, crazy awesome as folks make it out to be since I've been watching both vehicles daily. All personal preference though so YMMV.

I think one thing folks tout about the Gtechniq stuff is CSL has a greater claimed longevity but again, 2 years in on a black vehicle will make that kinda pointless. At least aht's been my experience owning/coating and living with 2 black cars.

Although I'm a certified coating junkie, sometimes I wonder if the best way to go if *extremely* OCD-ish about the appearance of black paint, something like Gyeon CanCoat or Cquartz Lite....easier and cheaper to fix/reapply as necessary when the roads throw ya a curve ball...
    GREAT info....Thank you

I am not dissuaded on GTechniq at all as I will be doing my daily (2012 Platinum White F150) this weekend. I have no worries what goes on that truck even though it is near flawless. The new BMW on the other hand has me hesitating....or a better way to put it would be that I am doing an overload of research...it is unique and beautiful paint, brand new and my experience level is upper DIY and hoping to move to Prosumerish level. With that said, thats why I will try both the GTechniq on the truck and the CQuartz Lite on the BMW....if I screw up the BMW....at least it won't be for long.

I have tons to learn and this is certainly the right place to get the right information. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond....GREAT website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast