autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Why hand wax? Machine waxing is the ONLY way to go! Let me show you have to make it fast, easy and safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post

Assuming the vehicle's surface is relatively void of nooks, crannies and concave spaces, and has vast amounts of flat surfaces, is there any reason why not to use a 5"/6" DA and hand apply to those areas that are missed (i.e. behind door handles, around trim, etc.)?

If by saying

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post

why not to use a 5"/6" DA

You mean a full size entry level dual action polisher like a Porter Cable, Griot's Garage 6" DA or Meguiar's MT300 or any of the other knock-offs of the Porter Cable 7424XP?

If that's what you mean then thank you for asking the question. The answer is YES - of course you can use a full size simple DA to machine wax. And I have multiple articles on this topic plus show it in my how-to books, in our DVDs, on are YouTube Channel and on TV.

BUT - some people DON'T want to become a "detailer.

1. They don't want to do correction work with compounds.
    2. They don't want to do polishing work with polishes.
    3. They don't want to do all the steps associated with doing a full detail where you NEED a real full size tool to do these step.

All they want to do is wash and wax their car.

And I meet these people all the time. Sometimes in person. Most of the time electronically like Tom, the person that prompted me to write this article. He owns 2-3 cars and 2 of them are toys with paint in GREAT shape. As I wrote, he works on them by HAND.

When I talked to him on the phone I told him there's nothing wrong with working by hand but it's so much faster, easier and safer for the paint to use a SIMPLE tool like the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher as a mini waxer.

As I wrote above, this tool is SMALL as in compact in size. This tool is LIGHT WEIGHT. These to characteristics make it EASY for someone that ONLY wants to apply a coat of wax to their car to machine wax both the horizontal surfaces and the vertical panels.

Because it's small and lightweight it's easy to hold with ONE HAND and run the tool over a vertical panel.

The point of sharing this tool instead of a full size tool was to show people that still work by hand there's a cheap, easy to use safe tool that enables them to machine apply a wax or a sealant to their cars paint.

Could be they don't know this tool exists?

Could be they don't want to hold the larger cousin to this tool with both hands just to apply a coat of wax to their car.

This article was to show people that there is in fact a small, compact and lightweight tool that takes ZERO skill to use to machine wax their cars paint. Nothing wrong with working by hand but as I stated in my first post,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Machine application will not only tend to be faster and easier but machine application will also do a better and safer job than hand application in my experience and in my opinion.

And I stick by what I wrote.

I've deal with people for a living with the topic of car detailing. One of the criteria I use to write an article is if a topic comes up over and over again, instead of typing out a reply for each time the topic comes up, I write an article and then for the next 20+ years simply share the article. The information is accurate and endures the test of time because that's how I write. Writing an article saves me time, saves the company time and leads to sales and happy customers.

But "yes" a person can use a full size simple or entry level orbital polisher to machine apply a coat of wax. And again, thank you for asking this question because if you have this question chances are others have this question and I like to answer questions.

Here's a few write-ups on machine waxing using full size DA or dual action or orbital polishers....

How-to Machine Apply Wax using a DA Polisher

How to apply a paste wax by machine - Dodo Juice Carnauba Paste Wax by Mike Philips

High speed machine waxing - Kissing the Finish Technique by Mike Phillips

Kissing the Finish by Mike Phillips

How to machine wax your car using the Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why hand wax? Machine waxing is the ONLY way to go! Let me show you have to make it fast, easy and safe!

Thank you for the reply. You are correct in my case that I did not realize that the small DA can easily be worked with one hand and with little effort. I put this on my wish list and will be ordering one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Probably the most valuable article and video I've ever made as far as helping others to avoid stupid mistakes and keeping their car's paint looking great!

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

And the above is just the video, click the link and READ the entire article.

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I have waxed and sealed cars by hand since the 1970s and continued to do so until last year. I like the control of hand waxing in tight areas and to avoid staining black vinyl trim. After reading Mike’s articles and comments about machine waxing, and after trying Griots One Step Sealant, I decided to try machine waxing. I am now hooked on that process. It definitely spreads the proper, uniform layer of product and it is a lot faster. I still hand wax the tight areas but the machine works for me now. I have the GG6 but I may look into the 3”.

Post Thanks / Like

There’s only 1 way to get the job done right... I’ve noticed that applying lsp by hand has a certain effect on female customers. Really seems to impress... And sometimes they’re really grateful for the hand application by returning the favor when it comes to my tip. Happy customer = happy detailerWhy hand wax?  Machine waxing is the ONLY way to go!  Let me show you have to make it fast, easy and safe!Why hand wax?  Machine waxing is the ONLY way to go!  Let me show you have to make it fast, easy and safe!lol.

Detailers who know, always choose hand.Why hand wax?  Machine waxing is the ONLY way to go!  Let me show you have to make it fast, easy and safe!

7. Likes WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only apply my LSP by hand also. By machine seems too sterile. Sounds silly but you’re not “in touch with” the paint that way.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I only apply my LSP by hand also. By machine seems too sterile. Sounds silly but you’re not “in touch with” the paint that way.
    Exactly. When I apply my lsp I like to put some passion into it. Lasts longer that way. Lol.

10. Likes WaxMaster1 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12