autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - CarPro Cquartz Lite

Thank you Avi for sending this product for review.

Products:

CarProCquartz Lite 150 ml kit

Cost:

$52.99

Product description from CarPro

CQuartzLite - The fastest application of Cquartz yet!

Introducing the incredibly user-friendly CQuartz Lite ceramic coating! “Lite”is based on the incredible CQuartz UK Ceramic Coating Technology,which has become famous around the world! CQuartz Lite can be applied as a stand-alone ceramic coating lasting more than 6 months or it can be used as a topcoat for existing CQuartz coatings!

CQuartz Lite was designed for those that are not ready to make the plunge into the industry leading strength of our professional grade coatings but wish to enjoy some of the many benefits that only CQuartz coatings offer.

The capabilities of CQuartz Lite include: easier to clean surfaces,resistance to insect splatter, petrol spills, light solvents, and UV rays, whilst providing a beading contact angle of 110 Deg! In other words, CQuartz Lite helps keep your paint super glossy, well protected, beads like crazy, and washes off easy when properly maintained!

CQuartz Lite is built on a combination of Sio2 and Tio2 particles with over 45% solid materials, as well as proprietary ingredients not made public outside of the lab! CQuartz Lite is a great option for professional detailers as an entry level coating or for the do it yourself guru who wants to switch to their first true ceramic coating.

CQuartz Lite may be applied to virtually any exterior surface of your car including paintwork, plastics, wheels, and glass (except windscreen),just like your other favorite CQuartz products!

Features:

• Spray on and wipe off or wipe on and wipe off. (Use appropriate ppe if sprayed)
    • The fastest to apply Cquartz yet
    • Protection and high gloss with ease of use for all detailers
    • Sio2 (ceramic) / Tio2 (titanium) Hybrid coating
    • Easy maintenance with "self cleaning" properties
    • Resistance to stains, dirt, soiling, loss of gloss and weathering
    • Repels UV rays, water, oils, dirt, and contaminants

Specifications:
    • Durability: 6-12 Months
    • Average Thickness: 1 Micron
    • Coverage 15ml-50ml per coat depending on method of application
    • Water contact angle: 110°
    • Minor filling
    • Recommended working temperatures: 40F to 100F

Kit Includes:

• (1) CQuartz Lite 150ml Bottle
    • (2) Microfiber Applicator
    • (1) CarPro 2Face No Lint Towel
    • (1) 3M Face Mask
    • (1) User Manual

Directions:

1. Make sure the surface is clean and full decontaminated. Use CarPro Iron X, Tar X, and clay the surface to ensure all contamination is removed.
    2. Use Carpro Eraser (or similar) to remove oils before application. Make sure surface is cool and dry. You may wish to polish the surface with CarPro Essence or Reflect to create higher gloss before using Eraser or to ensure maximum durability.
    3. Apply 10-12 drops on a microfiber applicator; apply the product evenly to one small area of roughly 24x24” / 60cm x 60cm with complete coverage and an even layer.
    4. Use a CarPro 2Face Towel to remove any excess. CQuartz Lite does not need to be left to cure on the surface so it should be removed immediately. Check well with an appropriate light source to ensure you remove any high spots (excess product that was not leveled) or residue. Note:For a short period of time after application, high spots that were not removed immediately can be corrected by applying more CQuartz Lite on that area and wiping off immediately.
    5. After the paint is free of residue, leave to dry for 4 hours prior to getting wet. Any water drops during first 48h should be removed before drying to prevent water spotting. We also recommend the use of CarPro Reload 1 hour after application to protect from water spots during first 48h.

Precautions:

• As usual we recommend an appropriate Face mask and nitrile gloves suitable for protection from solvents while applying.
    • If spray method is utilized, proper masking is critical and isolation is recommended from unprotected objects, creatures, or people.

Cquartz Lite is a new product for the early part of 2019. It falls in that coating lite category with a competing product Gyeon CanCoat.

In this write up and overall durability test, I am going to test CQ Lite side by side against Gyeon CanCoat on my personal vehicle. CQ Lite is advertised as 6+ months and CanCoat is advertised as 6-9 months. CanCoat easily makes it to a year and I suspect CQ Lite will do so as well.

The product comes in a kit that I will break down. Photo of the box it comes in. As stated on the box, it Is based on the CQUK 3.0 technology and it is a hybrid SiO2/TiO2 coating consisting of about 45% solids. It also states it 6+ month durability claim.

The rear of the box includes the contents of the box and the features of the coating.

There is also a precaution on the box.

Photo of the contents included in this kit. One towel is included with this kit but I would recommend additional towels when applying any coating to be sure that no high spots are left behind. Although with this coating, a high spot can be removed hours later if one is seen by adding more product to an applicator and wiping over the high spot. I purposely left a high spot and was able to remove it 2 hours later.

The coating comes in a plastic bottle. It is 150ml compared to CanCoat which is 200ml. They are priced similarly. The 150ml is enough to coat a few vehicles, of course the size of the vehicle will dictate that. Also one coat is fine but a second coat can be applied 1 hour after the first coat.

Unlike CanCoat, CQ Lite does not use a sprayer to dispense the product. The reasaon for CarPro not going the sprayer route is that a sprayer becomes clogged with coating material and hardens in the sprayer. CarPro instead chose to go with a dropper bottle similar to their CQUK and CQ TiO2 bottles.

For the application portion I am going to refer to my video. I demo the application process on a test hood that I have. I have also applied it to the roof of my daily driver in a side by side durability test against CanCoat. The roof was prepped by polishing and removing the 9 month old CQUK 3.0, CQUK 2.0 and Gliss test I was running. I am not using Essence as a primer polish so that I can get a true representation of how these coatings perform on bare paint. I will post a couple updates in this 8 month durability test.

I will also mention that the applicators in the kit are designed to have a rubber core to not allow the core to absorb the product. Thus saving the user from using an excess amount.

As far as application, CQ Lite is wipe on wipe off. No need to let it flash. When it comes to how it feels, it is tacky. It feels similar to CQUK 3.0. CanCoat is slightly slicker between the two.

So for those asking if it can be used as a topper, it certainly can. But if slickness is the goal then stick with Gliss. Here is a post from CarPro from their social media page.

Let's get to some water beading photos. The beading looks good and is similar to the other CarPro coatings as it also has the 110 degree contact angle.

Here is the water beading of CanCoat.

The water beading looks fairly similar with the edge going to CQ Lite as CanCoat is 100 degrees. Really hard to differentiate between the two.

When it comes to sheeting, CQ Lite looks similar to CQUK 3.0.

When it comes to gloss it is a wash as they both look similar.

Someone will comment or ask, why would I invest in a lite coating rather than using a sealant of some sort that lasts the same amount of time. Or the other question is why would anyone choose this over a more longer lasting coating.

Firs toff a coating is easier to wash than a sealant. A coating also has a better self cleaning effect making the paint stay cleaner. Also these coating lite type products can go longer than a year with little to no maintenance.

Also some people are leery about coatings and a coating lite is a good place to start. Getting ones feet wet so to speak.

From a professional stand point, not all customers are going to pay for a full correction and a multi year coating as it exceeds their budget. This is where something like CQ Lite comes in to play as it would be more budget friendly for the customer.

[IMG][/IMG]

Final thoughts:

First thing is I can not comment on the durability of the coating. This will have to wait until a few months down the road to see how it does.

From a user stand point, it is straight forward. The wipe on wipe off application negates the need to figure out flash times. Not to mention how forgiving it is to remove a high spot with more product hours later. I don’t know the exact time of when this does notwork and polishing will need to be done to remove a high spot.

From a water behavior stand point, it resembles coatings such as CQUK 3.0,CQ TiO2 and even Gliss V2.

The self cleaning effect seems to do well at least from the initial couple weeks thus far.

It can be used as a topper or stand alone. If one is looking to use it as a topper don’t expect it to be slick. Gliss is still better for that.

It can be used over Essence unlike Gliss.

It does harden and crystallize on the applicator.

Video breakdown

Application:4:00 min

Spray Bottle Water Behavior: 9:00 min

First Wash: 13:15 min

2. Dislikes gripaddict disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - CarPro Cquartz Lite

Outstanding review Mike !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like these products, To many water spots if you don't stay on top of it. Coatings and their self cleaning effect and long lasting durability are good in theory for people who don't want to do much maintenance except for that Achilles heel called water spots.

I understand detail guys like the coatings on their cars but come on. We are topping every week or every other week aren't we?

I'm trying cosmic glass coat on my next detail but I'll be topping it. The best thing you can do to avoid water spots on a coating ironically is to top it with carnauba wax so we come full circle.

I like those 2 face towels

Edit: Awesome review guz! Nice job as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

Well laid out review Mike. Thanks for including a competitor to show the aspects of what they offer.

Let us know how it holds up down the road.

Thanks for sharing.

6. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - CarPro Cquartz Lite

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Outstanding review Mike !!!

Thanks Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Well laid out review Mike. Thanks for including a competitor to show the aspects of what they offer.

Let us know how it holds up down the road.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks. Will provide feedback on how they perform.

Post Thanks / Like

what a great review, looks the the wipe off was pretty easy

9. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done review!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

11. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    what a great review, looks the the wipe off was pretty easy
    Thanks. The wipe off is pretty easy. A big plus is how forgiving it is hours later if a high spot is seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Well done review!!
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. Thanks!

I'm glad to see CarPro going with a dropper to deliver the product. I've been pretty happy with CanCoat, but the one thing I REALLY hate is the sprayer. Maybe I'm more accident prone than others, but I always seem to have issues with overspray.

Did you use the finger tip applicators which came in the kit? How did you like them? Could you use an applicator like the foam one from Lake Country just as easily?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Great review. Thanks!

I'm glad to see CarPro going with a dropper to deliver the product. I've been pretty happy with CanCoat, but the one thing I REALLY hate is the sprayer. Maybe I'm more accident prone than others, but I always seem to have issues with overspray.

Did you use the finger tip applicators which came in the kit? How did you like them? Could you use an applicator like the foam one from Lake Country just as easily?
    I did not. I will save the mitt applicator for a full vehicle. I used an autofiber coating applicator, which are fantastic coating applicators.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast