autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Biily Wraps View Post

What a great boot camp !!!!

To have the opportunity to work on very high end vehicles was a once in a lifetime experience. So many tools, so many products with the chance to try them all. Incredible!!!

Thank you for attending Billy and THANK YOU for sharing your experience in this thread where others will see it and then make the decision that "YES" this will be a great value for my hard earned money and then sign-up for a future class.

There is simply no other class like this class.

And if you look for pictures like I've shared here that SHOW you what you get to do for ANY other class on the market - you simply will not find any.

For anyone doing research into detailing classes - just look at how many REAL cars you train on when you attend a Mike Phillips/Autogeek class.

Try to find this kind of documentation anywhere else. And this type of documentation goes back for 10 years now on this forum and 7 years on the MOL forum where I taught classes before coming to AG.

Info on all classes

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi this vincente from Virginia

I work at a uniform fulfillment center. I watched about 20 videos of Mike. Then came across the boot camp training class. I immediately signed up.

To get to train with the Mike Phillips I couldn't pass the chance up. What a class, hands-on means hands-on got to say.

It was a fun and educational experience. If you get the opportunity to go I say take it u will not be disappointed.

I plan on going to the marine training.

3. Likes rpms111 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike and Andre for taking and posting all of these pics!

This was such an awesome experience! I never would have imagined getting the opportunity to work on vehicles of that caliber during a class.

Mike shares so much of his experiences and knowledge with the students on so many of the topics covered, a true professional!

The class was so very well organized and thoughtfully planned out, making it easy for everyone to always be hands on.

The collection of vehicles, tools and products was incredible, and we were offered the best of instructions and support while working with them.

Although I don't have a background in detailing, I never once felt out of place during the class. I'm excited to use my newly gained skills and knowledge ASAP!

Thanks again Mike for your dedication and passion!
    -Robyn

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Vreyes View Post
    Hi this vincente from Virginia

I work at a uniform fulfillment center. I watched about 20 videos of Mike. Then came across the boot camp training class. I immediately signed up.

To get to train with the Mike Phillips I couldn't pass the chance up. What a class, hands-on means hands-on got to say.

It was a fun and educational experience. If you get the opportunity to go I say take it u will not be disappointed.

I plan on going to the marine training.

Hi Vicente,

Thank you so much for joining the forum and sharing your feedback. This is the most important thing about our classes. Real people that attended letting others know what they think. I can tell people it's a great class all day long, (and I do because it's true), but when someone that paid for the class says it - then it has real impact.

It was a pleasure working with you and having you in the class.

Here's Vicente using a Griot's 6" DA on the black 2014 Mustang 5.0

And like all 12 cars this class worked on it came out amazing!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike... What are the chances you can come to Sydney and do some workshops?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ozzywannabe View Post

Mike... What are the chances you can come to Sydney and do some workshops?

If there was a way to do it and do "Good Business" then it would be possible.

Good business means capitalism or profitable. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings about capitalism but that's the way the world works.

So figure all the costs involved, my airfare, hotel, rental car, meals on the road, time out of the office and then we need a shop, power, good lighting and the one thing that I offer in all my classes that you don't find in the other classes, all the tools, pads and products.

If a major company wants to sponsor it, for example FLEX, RUPES, SONAX, Mothers, etc, then that's a path to follow too.

I've taught my roadshow class in other countries and like the classes I teach here they are ALL HANDS-ON. And it took a lot of work and expense on our part to make them that way. I don't want to be a part of an academic class, you know, the kind of class where people sit in chairs and listen to someone talk and then if they are luck get to see that person do a demo. That's not real-world learning, that's real-world sitting.

I never put up all the pictures from the Waxstock Roadshow Class, I still have them but it takes time to process and then magically make pictures show up on a forum. A Monkey with a smart phone can put a picture on Facebook but it takes some brains to do it on a forum. Kind of a sad commentary on our cyber-world as I wouldn't consider myself all that smart. But check out what I did get put into this thread and pay attention to ALL THE TOOLS, PADS and PRODUCT. Also look at all the cars I was able to get in ENGLAND! Heck I don't even live there and I got cool cars for my class. And except for an introduction - NO SITTING

Pictures: Roadshow Class at Waxstock in England!

And here's pictures from my Argentina Roadshow Class... I was even able to get a 1965 Mustang (a classic American Muscel Car), and taught the class how to WETSAND on it - no a demo hood but the real-deal, real world wetsanding on an entire car. You don't find that anywhere else buy my classes. At least there's not picture or video documentation that goes back for decades now.

Autogeek's Detailing Class in South America!

GLASS POLISHING to remove scratches in Glass using a Porter Cable and this was back in 2014

After inspecting the results from the first few passes to show the scratches are being removed and optical clarity is being restored, it's time for one of the students get some hands-on training and experience.

Heck - I don't think there's another detailing class where after the class this much information on technique with the pictures is shared, just the below takes time to write-up and share or "document".

How to tape-off a car for wetsanding
    After decontaminating the paint it's time to tape-off all the edges and raised body lines. For this we go over tips and techniques for laying down 3M Blue Vinyl Tape.

Measuring Paint Thickness
    Even though custom paint jobs will normally have more clear paint on them than a factory finish it's important to measure the paint thickness to help you make what I call

The Go or No Go Decision

The paint on this car was averaging around 10, 11 and 12 mils so we decided to go forward with the sanding process.

How to correctly hand sand
    First we went over the correct techniques for hand sanding. While it's important to know how to use the right technique when sanding by hand I also know that once a person hand sands and then machine sands, except of tight or intricate areas they will always opt to machine sand instead of hand sand because not only is it faster but it also does a better job and leaves more paint on the car. The buffing step also goes a lot faster as it's a LOT easier to remove machine sanding marks than it is to remove hand sanding marks.

Notice the tight, close pattern to my strokes when hand sanding. Your sanding mark pattern should not look like you're making W's or M's in the slurry.

Machine Sanding - Edging
    I love the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher. I cal it a 3" Wet Sander because it works so well for machine sanding with 3" sanding discs.

What I do when I sand down a car or teach others to sand down a car is to start by doing what I call edging.

Edging is where you sand the paint next to any edges or raised body lines first and then after sanding these perimeter areas tackle the major sections of the paint. In my classes I go over why this is important for a number of reasons and to do this by machine you must have a 3" orbital polisher that you can use with the 3" discs or do it by hand.

Machine Sanding - Majoring on the Majors
    After showing how to edge a panel and explain why to do this first, next we switched over to the Porter Cable 7424XP with 6" Trizact #3000 discs and knocked out the major portions of the panel right up to where we edged the panel.

So anything is possible and I love to teach hands-on classes but it's the money side that has to be made to work before Autogeek will allow me to teach any class anywhere. That's just how it works. I have no idea how any of these other classes are paid for but when I see "anything" about them it's usually either people sitting in chairs or people standing around one guy that's doing a demo. I never see pictures like I share showing the class doing the detailing. To me.... my style is the way people really learn.

Thanks for asking. My friend Aaryn in New Zealand would like me to come to his country and teach a class and I would love to do it but the expenses have to be taken care of and there has to be a profit for all involved.

8. Thanks ozzywannabe thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

If there was a way to do it and do "Good Business" then it would be possible.

Good business means capitalism or profitable. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings about capitalism but that's the way the world works.

So figure all the costs involved, my airfare, hotel, rental car, meals on the road, time out of the office and then we need a shop, power, good lighting and the one thing that I offer in all my classes that you don't find in the other classes, all the tools, pads and products.

If a major company wants to sponsor it, for example FLEX, RUPES, SONAX, Mothers, etc, then that's a path to follow too.

I've taught my roadshow class in other countries and like the classes I teach here they are ALL HANDS-ON. And it took a lot of work and expense on our part to make them that way. I don't want to be a part of an academic class, you know, the kind of class where people sit in chairs and listen to someone talk and then if they are luck get to see that person do a demo. That's not real-world learning, that's real-world sitting.

100% agree.

It needs to be beneficial for all parties. I definitely am not expecting you to fly 18 hrs just to polish my car for free Pictures: May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

However, I will ask a few friends and see who may be interested.

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This was a great class, I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to learn more about detailing as a business or just wants to take care of their own cars.

Mike is a first class instructor with plenty of knowledge and he lets you the student decide what tools and products you like. As you can see he brought in some awesome cars for us to work on. The weekend flew by and like Billy Wraps stated, I too wish we had a few more days because it was so informative and fun.

Just wanted to thank Mike Phillips and his assistant Andre Hile for making this class what it was "Awesome"

Bob

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BOB114 View Post

This was a great class, I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to learn more about detailing as a business or just wants to take care of their own cars.

Mike is a first class instructor with plenty of knowledge and he lets you the student decide what tools and products you like. As you can see he brought in some awesome cars for us to work on.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the class. I agree that the time flew by and also Andre is so good in the class helping to make sure everything runs smooth.

As for cars - YES we had some cool cars! Here's you working on the 1972 Mustang, a very cool car and a very rare car. Remember how bad the paint was contaminated?

And the results were incredible!

When I tell people there simply are not classes like our classes it's true. And if you look for any pictures showing the people in a class working on cars? You simply cannot find them.

As of today, there are almost 400 pictures in this thread showing people, tools and cars. The one thing that you don't see is....

People sitting in chairs listening to someone talk

Or

People standing around the instructor watching HIM work on a demo hood.

These classes are as I like to say....

THE REAL DEAL

Thank you for attending Bob, thank you for your trust.

Post Thanks / Like

. . . . & that Ladies & Gentlemen is how to showcase the finest Detailing Class on the planet! Incredible documentation Mike Wow!

What a fantastic looking class, filled with awesome cars & check out the students! Everyone getting in there & getting it done, & just to point out too - these cars are done, detailed done! They’re not just there as a cool canvas for folks to “have a go” with tools & products, they’re truely being detailed to a high standard, how cool is that!

Hahaha, well done team! I knew that Honda CRV was gonna be an incredible turn around but damn, you guys nailed it, & like Mike said - it really does look like a new car.

Congratulations to everyone who attended this epic class, let’s hope a good number of y’all become active members here on Autogeek Online.

Massive Thread Mike, thank you so much for taking the time to build it, very very impressive indeed, Bravo!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast