autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How best to negotiate with dealer for new car price ?

Search CarGurus.com over the next month and watch the prices go up and down. You'll get the best deal at the end of the month. Get pre approved for your finance rate and compare rates with the dealership.

Detail your car before looking to trade it in or sell it. The Dealership will pay more for a clean car that doesn't need to be detailed. They need used cars on their lot. Trading in the old car does help with taxes on the new car. You have to figure what your old car is worth in the condition it's in and the mileage. Lets just say you think its worth 16k, but you're willing to sell it for 15K privately. How many people have 15K laying around to buy a used Toyota Camry? More than likely the buyer will need to shop around for a loan and will want you to hold the car for them until they get approved. The dealership would probably offer you around 10K, but if your car is really clean and in great shape with low mileage they might bump it up to 13K just to make the deal happen.

If the dealership offers you a great price on the new car and offers you a pretty good deal on the trade in I would go for it. You'll be in and out within a few hours. Selling the car privately could takes weeks - months.

You might want to look at other car brands too. Toyota and Honda don't really budge on their MSRP prices because they have no problem selling those cars. You'd probably get a better deal with Hyundai or Kia. I went with Dodge and got a huge discount off MSRP.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I've bought over 50 cars, most of those for myself, some for friends.

Start shopping mid month. Preferably on a slow month like January or February. Work with at least 3 dealers. Don't be afraid of shopping out of state. Don't focus on one particular car, at least don't let on that you have. Look at trucar.com and laugh at the lowest price. Try to beat that by at least half the difference between MSRP.

And listen to this for a clue of how things work behind the scenes.

129 Cars - This American Life

3. Likes MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    The worst car accidents happen on the showroom floor. My advice is to go 2-4 years used. Let someone else take the 25% depreciation that day and the other 15% over the next 3 years.
    Great advice on European, terrible for Honda and Toyota. I can buy those cheaper new than a 2-3 year old one with average mileage.

Post Thanks / Like

How best to negotiate with dealer for new car price ?

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    Great advice on European, terrible for Honda and Toyota. I can buy those cheaper new than a 2-3 year old one with average mileage.
    Yea no kidding

Same thing with lower model pickups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

6. Likes yakky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oz_TCH View Post
    got an offer that looks pretty good.

MSRP: $39,144.00
    Your Exclusive Truecar Buying Service Price: $33,024.00
    Processing Fee: $689.00
    Sales Tax (VA): $1,496.55
    DMV Fees (VA): $73.75

what's processing fee ? dealer add on profit ?
    i would ask to see the invoice (compare it to the price you are offered, and with other online buying services), but other than that it seems like a good deal. just make sure to read the fine print and not pay for any additional things that aren't needed...

Post Thanks / Like

Negotiate from the parking lot. Never go in and sit down. That’s exactly where the want you. In fact, negotiate with one foot in your own car. Sounds absurd but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my way of buying/leasing

Dealer invoice price, minus hold back, minus incentives. No delear fees as they are just deal padding and definitely no money down.

If you follow that model you get the car you want at the lowest possible price. Don't believe "we have to charge you fee" BS on anything but taxes and reg. Most states cap the fee a dealer can charge as a processing fee but none that I know mandate it. Basic math is that at $500 per car X 250 cars monthly =$125000 in profits or residual payments on loans and leases. Don't look for the oldest car in inventory either as it's old and tired of sitting on a lot wearing away. Get a fresh of the truck model. They rent these cars on their lots so new inventory that sells fast earns more money for them old inventory just losses value that you get on a discount. Might sound like a good deal but a car that has sat for months on lot is in worse shape than one driven in the same time period. Also dont get hung up on monthly payments as any payment you want can be made with creativity. Never negotiate under any circumstance from the MSRP as once you do your already be losing. If MSRP was the price of the vehicle it would not be listed as manufactures SUGGESTED retail price. Lastly the invoice posted is not an original and had about $1000 cost added besides the dealer fee.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Your price you were offered looked not bad. If you are happy where they have you then by all means go for it

You can ask them what the fee is. Doesn’t hurt. Probably get some sort of paperwork processing/title work answer

I tried the Costco service in Feb March and the dealer rep called me with the price. I was shooting the breeze with him and he’s like look my “internet price “ is cheaper I can give it to you for that. Then I talked to a couple other dealers on their internet price and I saw even a little more discount.

So don’t go thinking true car etc is the cheapest it could be, but also not always so

You get a feel pretty quick on email from sales if they really want to make a deal or are trying to take you. If they don’t really give you the info you requested and just ask when you can come in to test drive. They usually don’t have the best price for you in mind. They want you to feel pressured behind the wheel on a test drive and fall in love with the car you already have decided on anyways without time to think about the numbers in your face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Bought this new Rogue last Sunday. Out the door for $7,000 off sticker.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

12. Likes Oz_TCH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Bought this new Rogue last Sunday. Out the door for $7,000 off sticker.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Congrats. Nissan always has crazy deals. We got out leaf for $11k off plus the federal rebate of $7500... And zero percent financing. Feels funny to buy a new car for more than half off.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast