autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How best to negotiate with dealer for new car price ?

Wife wants to trade in her 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE for another new Camry Hybrid. She tried test driving the Rav4 but prefer another new Camry Hybrid, the 2019 Camry Hybrid XLE model.

I was thinking better to wait until October for the 2020 model. Also dealer would not give good price for trade in. I'm thinking to either sell old car privately or just give to my older son in college. He'll need a car this summer.

And the 3 options we want with the new Camry Hybrid XLE is the Navigation Package, Driver Assist package and Adaptive Headlights. Could careless about everything else.
    So I was thinking, a good price would be aboot $3500 - $4000 off of the MSRP.

I'll will go in to Credit Union tomorrow and get a pre authorize financing.
    Then go to dealer, we're not in any hurry to buy.

What you think ? try to get a deal for about $4000 off MSRP ?

That would be $35,234. Is that doable ?

Please advise. Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How best to negotiate with dealer for new car price ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oz_TCH View Post
    Wife wants to trade in her 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE for another new Camry Hybrid. She tried test driving the Rav4 but prefer another new Camry Hybrid, the 2019 Camry Hybrid XLE model.

I was thinking better to wait until October for the 2020 model. Also dealer would not give good price for trade in. I'm thinking to either sell old car privately or just give to my older son in college. He'll need a car this summer.

And the 3 options we want with the new Camry Hybrid XLE is the Navigation Package, Driver Assist package and Adaptive Headlights. Could careless about everything else.
    So I was thinking, a good price would be aboot $3500 - $4000 off of the MSRP.

I'll will go in to Credit Union tomorrow and get a pre authorize financing.
    Then go to dealer, we're not in any hurry to buy.

What you think ? try to get a deal for about $4000 off MSRP ?

Please advise. Thx.
    I didn't negotiate when I got my wife's car. I just came in and wrote down the number I'm willing to pay and not a dime more. I don't care how you get to that number all I know you better get there 20 mins later deal done and out the door lol. Well I use to work for a dealer back in the day so I know the games. Lls.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Always buy at month end or quarter end when dealerships are trying to meet sales goals. Also, use edmunds website to figure out invoice pricing (at least pretty close). Don't ask what they will give you for your car, talk price difference between what you want for your car and the price you are willing to pay for the new car.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you when I sold cars for Nissan back in 2007-2008, they probably don’t even have 4K in profit in these vehicles. I’d start their but don’t expect it. I’d do some research or even ask the dealer for invoice pricing and ask to see ACTUAL invoice.

Most new car dealers profits come from incentives from manufacturers. Go in during end of months as they’ll be trying to hit quota. If they won’t show you invoice stick to what you think is right price any thing less leave.

Do around 27th. If the don’t call you back by 31st with better offer then you’ve got their best offer. In 2008 a top of the line Altima with every option had around 1800-1900 profit over invoice. Sometimes if close to quota the will sell at invoice. I help a lot of friends buy cars if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

How best to negotiate with dealer for new car price ?

To find the best deal try emailing and going to their online prices and ask them what their out the door price will be with all available incentives

To be honest with you there is not a whole lot of “dealing“ anymore with the Internet now

The days of haggling with a car salesman for hours over a few dollars is pretty much over

Financing is also contingent upon your credit score which will make a huge difference in rates and monthly payments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

6. Likes MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i just go to sites like truecar and get pricing without having to haggle with the salesman. it's usually a few grand below sticker and little under invoice...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oz_TCH View Post
    What you think ?
    try to get a deal for about $4000 off MSRP ?

If the Dealership will honor Toyota’s current
    $1,500 Customer Cash Back offer; then, IMO:
    $35,234 is doable.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

9. Likes Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I attempt to research the cost of the car to the dealer. That starts with their invoice price.

I break down my negotiation into 3 separate deals...1.) The price I'll pay for the new car, 2.) The price they'll pay for my trade in, and 3.) My financing deal. All 3 are separate, independent negotiations. If we can't agree on deal #1 we never get to #2.

I also shop my trade in around locally to get a wholesale price. At least 3 used car dealers around town and get a business card from each with their best price to buy. When the new car dealer lowballs you, whip out the card and say ""this guy will give me $X".

Finally, shop around for the best "cost of using money". Find your best finance deal and bring it to the new car dealer. Sometimes the dealer can do better so listen to their financing also.

I know, I know...old school negotiation tricks but I don't like playing games. And when he/she gets up to "get approval" for your counters, amicably and politely ask for that person to come out and deal with you!

11. Likes PaulMys, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The last one I got I contacted 3 dealers in the area via email. Didn't give them a phone number. Used the emails from each to get the others to lower their price, they all kept lowering prices trying to win the business. Eventually got the dealer I wanted (which had the car in stock) to agree on the lowest price of the three. Came over that night with the deal already set so we just had to test drive the car and sign the papers.
    Bruno Soares

13. Likes VISITOR, MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking they'll start at $39K, I'll say 30K. After some back and forth, hopefully, we meet in the middle.
    I'm waiting for my credit union preapproval before I go in to the dealer (towards the end of the month).

I'll email a few dealers too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast