autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which polisher for a new guy?

Quote Originally Posted by nprotz View Post
    So what do you and everyone else do when you need to get into tight places? For instance my Jeeps has a few areas with some staining spots. I know it will come out as I did a few small places by hand but it wore me out. The area is on the strip above the back glass. Also like areas on the doors next to glass. Do I need a 5” and then some sort of mini polisher?
    Yeah. The reason I didn’t like the gg6 with the 3” plate is it’s still got a BIG head /grommet where the plate mounts and looked hard to get into small concaves. I went with the Adams mini as it was reasonably priced and it is an actual dedicated mini polisher. I have not heard a bad thing about it and it was nice.

But the BOSS 15 was hands down my best investment hand couldn’t be happier with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks nprotz thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, SWETM, WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post
    I've never had a $400 rupes polisher that didn't work. I've a had a flex polisher that didn't. I know some people like to work on a budget and I can respect and understand that. So I can only speak for myself. I buy polishers like women buy shoes. If it breaks I just buy a new one cause I don't have time to send it out and wait so on so on. When I buy something I want to know that it last long and not how often I have to send it in to be fixed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I haven't had it happen either.

And while I'm pretty sure it's not typical, it has happened, and some were left feeling put out.

So being in a situation where I do this for money, we're similar in that we have other plans. I have duplicates because I don't want to wait for a new tool to be shipped, I'll just use the one in the back up bag, and make my dollars. In the meantime I can send the down tool to Rupes for repairs. When it gets back I can put it back into rotation. These tools are investments for those of us using them to make money. There is no reason for us to not be prepared.

Like I said earlier though, it's different for the more casual user. I prefer the Rupes line, but for a d.i.y. or weekend warrior the GG6 is a great option. And even pros like my friend, he takes advantage of the warranty when he kills one. He has multiple GG6s now on polisher racks next to his other tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yeah. The reason I didn’t like the gg6 with the 3” plate is it’s still got a BIG head /grommet where the plate mounts and looked hard to get into small concaves. I went with the Adams mini as it was reasonably priced and it is an actual dedicated mini polisher. I have not heard a bad thing about it and it was nice.

But the BOSS 15 was hands down my best investment hand couldn’t be happier with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That huge spindle housing was the biggest reason I stayed so loyal to the 7424.

Post Thanks / Like

I would start with a Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher. It's the perfect polisher to start with and learn your polishing techniques. You can always upgrade to a Rupes or Flex polisher.

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nprotz View Post

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I’ve always liked keeping a clean looking car and I’m interested in getting into polishing.

I want to remove some hologram/spider webbing but have some older vehicles I want to try and improve. Anyway I’ve looked at polishers non stop and don’t really know what I need.

The gg6 looks like it would do well and can also take a 3” backing plate for tight spots. I’ve also looked at Flex.

Any recommendations?

Hi nprotz,

Interesting thread to read through with all the different recommendations and opinions.

Visitor shared the below link here, but being under an imbedded video I didn't see it at first.

I wrote this in 2017 and it's probably one of the most shared articles I've ever written, at least by me because I answer your question a LOT.

The article is FULL of info you're going to NEED to know to get into machine polishing. It's not hard to polish by machine but little things like,

1. How many pads do I need?
    2. What type of pads do I need?
    3. Marking the back of your backing plate?

And so many other topics are covered in this SINGLE article.

Plus if you scroll down a little ways there is a video that will walk you through the entire process of using a simple 8mm free spinning polisher like the Griot's Garage 6" ROP.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

7. Thanks nprotz thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post

anyways, the GG6 if i'm not mistaken is the one free spinning polisher that people tend to grab the most at Mike's classes and for good reason...

Just to add to this...

In my classes I cover all the popular tools that Autogeek sells, which are also all the popular tools easily available in the U.S. market.

I start the class out using the Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher BECAUSE it's the easiest tool to learn how to use and master. That's TWO things, not just one thing. Then we go over these tools in order,

Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher - Pinnacle products and Buff & Shine pads
    RUPES - All RUPES tools, pads and products
    Griot's BOSS 15mm and 21mm plus all BOSS products and pads
    FLEX BEAST, Finisher, 3" Long Stroke - using LC pads and SONAX products
    Free-for-All - Choose ANY of the above tools to learn production detailing.

By the time the class has done the above they have buffed out 10 CARS! That's a lot of time spent with all of these tools. (not sitting in chairs.

After everyone has used any brand of long stroke polisher what most people in the class find out is it's easier to maintain pad rotation with an 8mm free spinning tool in the context of buffing out a wide range of body panel shapes than it is to maintain a long stroke free spinning orbital polisher when also buffing out a wide range of body panel shapes.

And I share the reason why in this article,

The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

With short stroke free spinning orbital polishers and with gear-driven short stroke orbital polishers, the ghosting footprint is so small it's a non-issue. And pad stalling with short stroke polishers is a lot less of an issue than long stroke polishers.

That is, the is less of a chance that the panel you're buffing can cause pad stall as the pad (with free spinning short stroke tools), because the outer edge of the pad will have less leverage over the reciprocating components due to the smaller orbit stroke length than you get with long stroke free spinning tools.

And here's the deal....

When anyone takes my class they get to use all the tools and find out which tools works best for THEM. We're all different. But what I've seen over the years is that after using a lot of different tools in my class a portion of the class tends to choose the Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher. At least for their FIRST tool. They can always add more tools as time goes by.

9. Thanks nprotz thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

In my classes I cover all the popular tools that Autogeek sells, which are also all the popular tools easily available in the U.S. market.

I start the class out using the Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher BECAUSE it's the easiest tool to learn how to use and master. That's TWO things, not just one thing.

Then we go over these tools in order,

1. Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher - Pinnacle products and Buff & Shine pads.
    2. RUPES - All RUPES tools, pads and products.
    3. Griot's BOSS 15mm and 21mm plus all BOSS products and pads.
    4. FLEX BEAST, Finisher, 3" Long Stroke - using LC pads and SONAX products.
    5. Free-for-All - Choose ANY of the above tools to learn production detailing.

By the time the class has done the above they have buffed out 10 CARS! That's a lot of time spent with all of these tools. (not sitting in chairs).

And here's a text book example of the tools, the cars, the pads, the products and the order....

Pictures: May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Here's a flow chart to keep us on track...

Here's the first two cars of the day using the Griot's 6" ROP

In my opinion - the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher is a GREAT tool to start with and also necessary tool in your tool collection because it's not only capable but versatile.

11. Thanks nprotz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i bought the porter cable off autogeek with one of the package pad deals. I think it's a great entry level starter kit.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

13. Thanks nprotz thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post

i bought the porter cable off autogeek with one of the package pad deals.

I think it's a great entry level starter kit.

I agree. The Porter Cable is a time-proven, quality build tool.

The primary difference between the Porter Cable polisher and the Griot's 6" polisher is that Griot's has more useable power.

Porter Cable could improve their tool to have as much power as the Griot's version of the Porter Cable for about 5 cents a tool if they wanted to, but they don't care to. The sell gobs of these tools to the car detailing and wood working industry without improving them. So I guess PC is too big to fail.

And for those that don't know, the Griot's 6" ROP is basically a copy of the Porter Cable 7424 in all it's versions.

Here's my article that documents where all these tools basically got their start.

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher

It all has to do with this picture,

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestio, take one of Mike' detailing hands on classes. You can test drive alll kinds of polishers n supplies n get proper use training. I took one of his classes last year after which i purchased a flex xc3401 and xfe 7-12. I am only a hobbyist that likes to keep his rides in nice shape
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast