autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soft black paint for Noobs

It sounds like you know your paint pretty well. It is plain black with no metallic correct? The reason I ask is because there is a huge difference in the two. The solid black is super soft as you are stating. The metallic black on the other hand is on the hard side in which case you may not have removed the swirls to begin with.

If it is indeed the soft black I agree with Wrapt. I’ve recommended HyperPolish on a finishing pad to finish out super soft black Porche paint on a few occasions and it’s worked perfectly every time.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    It sounds like you know your paint pretty well. It is plain black with no metallic correct? The reason I ask is because there is a huge difference in the two. The solid black is super soft as you are stating. The metallic black on the other hand is on the hard side in which case you may not have removed the swirls to begin with.

If it is indeed the soft black I agree with Wrapt. I’ve recommended HyperPolish on a finishing pad to finish out super soft black Porche paint on a few occasions and it’s worked perfectly every time.
    The problem is I only have had the car for 3 or so weeks. It is 690F the GM phantom metallic black. I am a noob when it comes to this and I could Be completely wrong. It could be that I haven't removed them At all and I need to have more patience. I will do some test sections with various combinations and see what my results are.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ozzywannabe View Post
    The problem is I only have had the car for 3 or so weeks. It is 690F the GM phantom metallic black. I am a noob when it comes to this and I could Be completely wrong. It could be that I haven't removed them At all and I need to have more patience. I will do some test sections with various combinations and see what my results are.

Bang on. Run those tests.

That black isn’t on the soft side, just needs the right combo.

4. Likes ozzywannabe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Soft black paint for Noobs

For everyone’s info, metallic paint doesn’t mean it will inherently be harder.

Anyone who has worked on Subaru Java Black will know the deal.

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post

I remember doing a metallic black Subie that was pretty soft. M205 on a blue Buff and Shine pad was getting a ton of d/a haze. A switch to PF2500 on a Tangeringe Hydrotech removed the swirls, and left a clear, glossy finish.

8. Likes WristyManchego liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Soft black paint for Noobs

I’m not a fan of SOFT finishing pads on soft paint. Need a bit of firmness. I like the Rupes yellow pad, or LC thin pro white pad on soft black paint. Sometimes orange HDO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

10. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your support and advice. Next in my list is to use Dr colorchip, color coded, and fix some chips, allow to cure properly than I'll attack the paint again. I'll post some shots when I am done. Leaning towards a coating, either Optimum gloss coat or Cquartz lite depending on how good I get it. I'd really love to try the polish angel cosmic, but between the primer and v2 cosmic, it gets expensive in australia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post

Right, I was referring to their particular GM paint since I’m familiar with it. Since you mentioned the metallic black Subaru paint, I have one of those coming up. Test spot goes without saying, just want to make sure it not nearly as soft as that solid blue Subaru paint is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Metallic black will hide marring better than pure black, but the color doesn't dictate the hardness or softness, it's the clear that is shot over the base coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Metallic black will hide marring better than pure black, but the color doesn't dictate the hardness or softness, it's the clear that is shot over the base coat.
    Obviously the clear shot over the pure black is much softer than that they use to cover the metallic, referring to the newer GM paints from at least 2016 on. Trust me I’ve worked on a few of both.
    In the case of the Subaru the metallic blue paint is on the soft side but not bad I would put it close to Honda paint, that pure blue is some of the softest paint out there, if you don’t believe me check with Nick at McKee’s.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast