autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3D Prints for Detailing

Did not see a thread on this. Anyone 3D print parts for detailing purposes? Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D Prints for Detailing

I have thought of this quite a bit. If you are already planning to to buy one for other projects I don’t think it would be a bad idea. Or if you already have one I think it would be a good idea. But I don’t know if it would be worth it just for detailing. I think you could print off some useful things to help you detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish Auto View Post
    I have thought of this quite a bit. If you are already planning to to buy one for other projects I don’t think it would be a bad idea. Or if you already have one I think it would be a good idea. But I don’t know if it would be worth it just for detailing. I think you could print off some useful things to help you detail.
    I agree. I'd not buy one just to print detailing items but if you have one, I think it would be useful for this.

I've had them the past couple of years. I started with a Tevo Tarantula and just bought a Creality CRS-10 Pro. The Pro _rocks_! So I've printed a ton of stuff with it. I have been searching for some detailing stuff to print and cannot find anything. Personally, I think there could be a lot of "gadgets" that could be printed that would be very useful. Add ons for polishers, storage items (clay, pads, etc), brush attachments, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has printed anything.

Edit: I have found a few prints that look interesting:

Detailing brush holder by KHOT - Thingiverse

Vacuum Cleaner Flexi Nozzle Adaptor by properbowen - Thingiverse

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking at a Lulzbot Taz for a while now. Just never pulled the trigger on it. I think one would be good for vacuum attachments, extractor attachments and steamer attachments. One would be useful to have around the shop. You have got me thinking about one again. The brush holder is pretty cool. I might get on cad later and see what I can come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own a 3D printer, but if I did, the one thing I would love to print would be a crevice tool that can go in super narrow spaces. There are plenty of vehicles where my narrow Rigid crevice tool can't reach into the seat/console gap. Something twice as long and half has wide would be super helpful!

6. Likes oneheadlite, Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I don't own a 3D printer, but if I did, the one thing I would love to print would be a crevice tool that can go in super narrow spaces. There are plenty of vehicles where my narrow Rigid crevice tool can't reach into the seat/console gap. Something twice as long and half has wide would be super helpful!
    I thought about something like that too. I have a friend that is going to give me his old one. He just bought a new MakerBot. I’ll mess around with it a little and see what I can come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I used one of the prints today. It is a vacuum attachment for my shop vac. I had printed it to try out on the carpeting but just a few hours ago I decided it might be a good time to pressure wash the Bed Rug in the bed of my truck. I used the tool to extract the water. Worked _perfectly_! Removed almost all of the remaining water. I used it a little on the dry areas to pick up some debri and it seemed to work good at that as well.

Better shop vac vacuum tool by justinschmitt - Thingiverse

Post Thanks / Like

Did you use PLA? Thingiverse is awesome place. You can print about anything there. I am still working on designing steamer attachments. I think I’m going to have to go with ABS for those. It’s a pain to print with sometimes though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish Auto View Post
    Did you use PLA? Thingiverse is awesome place. You can print about anything there. I am still working on designing steamer attachments. I think I’m going to have to go with ABS for those. It’s a pain to print with sometimes though.
    Yes, I used PLA. It is rock solid (I used 20% infill and cubic for the infill pattern as it is pretty solid). I just used it quickly today to quickly vacuum some car mats and the carpet. Worked well. Today I'll print up a crevice tool and see how it works.

Shop Vac Attachments by mklange - Thingiverse

I've been modifying some existing parts for other things and might try designing a few of my own tools. The only problem is that takes me a few hours.... and it is difficult to find the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    Yes, I used PLA. It is rock solid (I used 20% infill and cubic for the infill pattern as it is pretty solid). I just used it quickly today to quickly vacuum some car mats and the carpet. Worked well. Today I'll print up a crevice tool and see how it works.

Shop Vac Attachments by mklange - Thingiverse

I've been modifying some existing parts for other things and might try designing a few of my own tools. The only problem is that takes me a few hours.... and it is difficult to find the time.
    Good deal. It does take forever to design something. People who are not familiar with it think you just draw something up and press print. But it takes a lot of patience. Plus it takes a lot of time just for the print itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast