autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Question regarding 3 in 1 products

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Holy Moses the gloss on that Porsche is off the charts... Wow...

Thanks!

I was a challenge to polish the paint out on this car, just being soft and all.

I have all the pictures that show how I machine polished the inside and outside of the original flexible plastic back window and also how I cleaned and protected the original canvas cloth top. I'll probably see this car again down the road.

2. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Boosting" is a process that's been around for some time i.e. popping a couple drops of a heavy cut compound to up the cutting power of a polishing step while retaining the finishing characteristics of the polish being used. I don't see any issue with that, it's a pretty nifty tool in the toolbox for difficult paints IMO.

The problem I see with mixing compound/polish and protection products would mainly be the type of carrier in use for each product, i.e. water based polish or compound mixed with a protection product like power lock that's a solvent based carrier (to the best of my knowledge) and how they'd react. Also how the protection product (especially carnauba or montan wax) would affect the abrasives' ability to do their thing if not mixed just right. Think about sandpaper on bare wood versus sandpaper on a piece of wood with peanut butter spread across it (overly dramatized I know but the concept is the same).
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

4. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So never polished a car before and doing it soon. Was thinking adding a tiny bit of Car pros clear cut to essence to hopefully one step. Anyone try before or have suggestions? If so what pad would you recommend. Have BOSS yellow, LC CCS green and orange, buff and shine micro fiber finishing pads.

Thanks in advanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    So never polished a car before and doing it soon. Was thinking adding a tiny bit of Car pros clear cut to essence to hopefully one step. Anyone try before or have suggestions? If so what pad would you recommend. Have BOSS yellow, LC CCS green and orange, buff and shine micro fiber finishing pads.

Thanks in advanced

Very loaded question here.

What kind of car, what kind of paint? Original or repaint? What condition is the paint in, and what kind of defects are you trying to remove? More importantly, what are your expectations for results?

It's impossible to recommend a pad/product combination without an understanding of the above. I would advise you to post the answers into the general detailing forum (ideally with pictures) where you have a good chance of getting some really good answers.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thanks!

I have all the pictures that show how I machine polished the inside and outside of the original flexible plastic back window and also how I cleaned and protected the original canvas cloth top. I'll probably see this car again down the road.

Hey Mike, I was just curious what your opinion is about mixing your own "all in one" products?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Abrasive technology proofs right here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    Very loaded question here.

What kind of car, what kind of paint? Original or repaint? What condition is the paint in, and what kind of defects are you trying to remove? More importantly, what are your expectations for results?

It's impossible to recommend a pad/product combination without an understanding of the above. I would advise you to post the answers into the general detailing forum (ideally with pictures) where you have a good chance of getting some really good answers.
    2016 Mustang GT shadow black. Don’t know if paint is hard or soft. Swirled pretty good.

I’d like to see swirl free. I know I need to test lightest pad to coarsest. Just wondering if the mix would work together. Understand I may need to get more aggressive with pads and compounds. Would like to try that though if essence or Adams polish aren’t strong enough before going full clear cut.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Leave it to the pros in my opinion.
    I'll third this.

The 3 in 1s you mentioned are cheap enough to try out. I'll probably try out the Megs once its warmer and top it with HCW to see how it does.

It will be cool if you want to to experiment and try them out, I'd stick to same brand since I'm sure theres some chemical synergy between thier products.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolas4 View Post

Hey Mike, I was just curious what your opinion is about mixing your own "all in one" products?

2 comments....

First: When I was a Trainer for Meguiar's circa 1987 to 1991, I called on bodyshops, dealerships and detail shops. When I called on detail shops, I met a lot of guys that had their

Secret Sauce

Something THEY mixed up that of course, was better than anything anyone was selling. It was always the same experience, some guy that mixed other companies products together and BOOM - he's a chemist and a genius.

I have no problem with people trying to make their own concoction, saw a lot of this in Oregon, Washington and Idaho, the three states I covered, (in a 1969 Blazer no less).

Here's the deal though, in most cases what they were trying to create already existed - they just didn't know about it. Back then - No Internet. Internet didn't go mainstream until approximately 1995 --> AOL

Second: When Meguiar's introduced M-11 Professional Hi-Tech Finesse Quick Step, a body shop compound/polish, definitely a product ahead of its time, I DID try to mix some Meguiar's waxes or sealants with this product to create a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO

I did a lot of testing mixing either M26 or M20 with this product.

At the end of the day it was all for nothing as I could have just as easily used

1. Meguiar's M66 Quick Detailer - a one step cleaner/wax
    2. Meguiar's M06 Cleaner/Wax - a one step cleaner/wax
    3. Meguiar's M19 - basically M06 in paste form

To me, it was truly a waste of time and I learned and internalized to let the chemist be the chemist and I'll simply be the how-to guy. This has been working out pretty good for about 32+ years now.

Again - I never care if others want to do this but in most cases, the thing they are trying to create already exists - they just don't now about it.

As for getting more cut out of a one-step AIO - anytime you increase cut you increase the risk for cut in the way of micro-marring. If you're not careful, you'll turn a one-step process into a two-step process and thus defeat the purpose of the one-step product.

Good question - thank you for asking.

Because you asked this question - I took a few moments to take some pictures of an antique product that backs-up my story.

M-1132 Professional Hi-Tech Finesse Quick Step - Meguiars Mirror Glaze

Post Thanks / Like

2 comments....

First: When I was a Trainer for Meguiar's circa 1987 to 1991, I called on bodyshops, dealerships and detail shops. When I called on detail shops, I met a lot of guys that had their

Secret Sauce

Something THEY mixed up that of course, was better than anything anyone was selling. It was always the same experience, some guy that mixed other companies products together and BOOM - he's a chemist and a genius.

I have no problem with people trying to make their own concoction, saw a lot of this in Oregon, Washington and Idaho, the three states I covered, (in a 1969 Blazer no less).

Here's the deal though, in most cases what they were trying to create already existed - they just didn't know about it. Back then - No Internet. Internet didn't go mainstream until approximately 1995 --> AOL

Second: When Meguiar's introduced M-11 Professional Hi-Tech Finesse Quick Step, a body shop compound/polish, definitely a product ahead of its time, I DID try to mix some Meguiar's waxes or sealants with this product to create a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO

I did a lot of testing mixing either M26 or M20 with this product.

At the end of the day it was all for nothing as I could have just as easily used

1. Meguiar's M66 Quick Detailer - a one step cleaner/wax
    2. Meguiar's M06 Cleaner/Wax - a one step cleaner/wax
    3. Meguiar's M19 - basically M06 in paste form

To me, it was truly a waste of time and I learned and internalized to let the chemist be the chemist and I'll simply be the how-to guy. This has been working out pretty good for about 32+ years now.

Again - I never care if others want to do this but in most cases, the thing they are trying to create already exists - they just don't now about it.

As for getting more cut out of a one-step AIO - anytime you increase cut you increase the risk for cut in the way of micro-marring. If you're not careful, you'll turn a one-step process into a two-step process and thus defeat the purpose of the one-step product.

Good question - thank you for asking.

Because you asked this question - I took a few moments to take some pictures of an antique product that backs-up my story.

M-1132 Professional Hi-Tech Finesse Quick Step - Meguiars Mirror Glaze

Thanks so much Mike for your input, means a lot and I'm a huge fan. I'm so happy an old dog can be taught new tricks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast