autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: 10-month ceramic coating update! + Chemical torture test!

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Do you use Ech20 and reload as a drying aid on your car? Cuz if so that would be “topping”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No. Only on hers. My car gets just ech2o as to not interfere with the coating underneath. I think I use that diluted 1 part Ech2o 25 parts water.
    Bruno Soares

2. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think theirs a coating out their that will make it a year with out maintenance. I don’t know for sure. What I’m saying is that is not this video.
    Dunno if it's actually true, but I've found some coatings do better with no maintenance than others. Take for example the following fleet vehicle:

Van 11: XXX + XXX applied March 2017; refresh 01/2017 decon wash, w/ XXX clay, XXX & XXX

Since 01/2017, about 45k miles ago this vehicle has received no bucket washes and has *maybe* run thru a touchless soap/rinse tunnel wash once or twice. Pulled the vehicle outta hibernation last week after sitting outside idle since 11/2018 and it's still looking very, very good as far as gloss and cleanliness go. This coating has exceptional self-cleaning abilities and, to throw another apparently contentious point into the mix, is and never has been a great 'bead-er' but more of a 'sheeter', hence my preference for sheeting as opposed to fantastically formed beads.

Now as to the specific coating that's the topic of the thread, if ya wanna know how CQ UK 3 + Gliss V2 does with absolutely no maintenance, check back in a year cuz the vehicle I just used it on will likely see a touchless tunnel wash or 2 in the next 12 months...if it's lucky. Otherwise I'm depending on Mother Nature to occasionally give it a good rinsing.

As always, just my opinion from what my eyes have seen and YMMV; not a pro and it is well within the realm of possibility that I have no idea what I'm doing or talking about....and yet the Van noted above pretty much always looks freshly washed, barring extreme incidents. It is what it is....and to be perfectly honest I don't really care about the what's or why's it does what it does, just happy it does it.

4. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think theirs a coating out their that will make it a year with out maintenance. I don’t know for sure.

I can speak to both CQUK 3.0 and TiO2 as they have both well on my daily driver that sits outside 24/7. In about another week it will be 9 months with them on my daily driver and it looks like they will make it to 1 year easily. The only maintenance is a wash. So it is possible for a coating to make it. Of course the environment will dictate that as well. We don't get snow here but we do have high UV and heat which seems to be what degrades a coating here in So Cal as I have seen a coating fail on the flat surfaces compared to those that live in snow conditions and it fails on the lower portions of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    No. Only on hers. My car gets just ech2o as to not interfere with the coating underneath. I think I use that diluted 1 part Ech2o 25 parts water.
    Yeah at 1:20 or 1:25 it is just to low of a dilution for Ech20 to interfere with any coating. Especially if it is used as drying aid as it is diluted even more. It is just enough to get by to the next wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use Ech20 and reload as a drying aid on your car? Cuz if so that would be “topping”

Just from my experience on a car with nothing on it, ech2o at rinseless/waterless would last 1 to 2 rainstorms and that is all.

It does appear Cquartz UK has lasted people 1 year, along with some other coatings (I think Gyeon and some other brands). If I would use a coating based on all the factors and price, I would use Uk3.0.

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Dunno if it's actually true, but I've found some coatings do better with no maintenance than others. Take for example the following fleet vehicle:

Van 11: XXX + XXX applied March 2017; refresh 01/2017 decon wash, w/ XXX clay, XXX & XXX

Since 01/2017, about 45k miles ago this vehicle has received no bucket washes and has *maybe* run thru a touchless soap/rinse tunnel wash once or twice. Pulled the vehicle outta hibernation last week after sitting outside idle since 11/2018 and it's still looking very, very good as far as gloss and cleanliness go. This coating has exceptional self-cleaning abilities and, to throw another apparently contentious point into the mix, is and never has been a great 'bead-er' but more of a 'sheeter', hence my preference for sheeting as opposed to fantastically formed beads.

Now as to the specific coating that's the topic of the thread, if ya wanna know how CQ UK 3 + Gliss V2 does with absolutely no maintenance, check back in a year cuz the vehicle I just used it on will likely see a touchless tunnel wash or 2 in the next 12 months...if it's lucky. Otherwise I'm depending on Mother Nature to occasionally give it a good rinsing.

As always, just my opinion from what my eyes have seen and YMMV; not a pro and it is well within the realm of possibility that I have no idea what I'm doing or talking about....and yet the Van noted above pretty much always looks freshly washed, barring extreme incidents. It is what it is....and to be perfectly honest I don't really care about the what's or why's it does what it does, just happy it does it.
    What is coating that you used? Sure a lot here would be interested. If not wanting to post PM please.

9. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I can speak to both CQUK 3.0 and TiO2 as they have both well on my daily driver that sits outside 24/7. In about another week it will be 9 months with them on my daily driver and it looks like they will make it to 1 year easily. The only maintenance is a wash. So it is possible for a coating to make it. Of course the environment will dictate that as well. We don't get snow here but we do have high UV and heat which seems to be what degrades a coating here in So Cal as I have seen a coating fail on the flat surfaces compared to those that live in snow conditions and it fails on the lower portions of the vehicle.

Yeah at 1:20 or 1:25 it is just to low of a dilution for Ech20 to interfere with any coating. Especially if it is used as drying aid as it is diluted even more. It is just enough to get by to the next wash.
    Yeah I thought it was you who wasn’t coating Cquk3. Nice to know as that’s what I’ll be using. Hopefully topping it I can get 2 years. By topping I’ll be adding cancoat every 6-9 months. Sorry to through your name out their like I did but figured your findings would help out some in this thread who wanted opinions of un topped cquk3. Please post update at 1 year.

Thanks,

11. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Gyeon Mohs on one of my cars and it has easily lasted longer than any other coating I have ever used. I am going on 2 years now. My car is garage kept at night but used during the day about 4x a week. I’ve put about 25k miles on it in those 2 years. I maintain it w Gyeon cure every few months. I live in the north east so I see all sorts of conditions. My issue w Gyeon is the strong smell when I applied. It was sickening.

I used polish angel Viking coat on 2 of my other cars less than a yr ago. One is outside 24x7 and the other is garaged except for when I drive it which is almost never. The one that lives outside didn’t do so well. Didn’t come close to a year. Drove that one about 18k miles in that period. The one that is garage kept has lasted but I don’t think it would have done so outside. Both are kept up w polish angel Viking spritz. Polish angel is by far the easiest coating to apply that I have ever worked with but not the most durable. Does look good though when it is on.

I will say that a good coating will last over a year. And I will also agree that most geeks would top their coating. Not everyone is an auto geek so I can see agree that those people probably won’t top their coatings; but if you are spending that kind of money on a detail coating then you are probably making the effort. I will also say that those that wouldn’t care enough to top a coating probably aren’t spending the money on it either because they aren’t into cars as much. Just my opinion.

Pan, good job on the videos. Keep them coming. Sometimes emails/posts translate in a different manner than they are intended. Happens all the time at work. I know it’s tough and can be frustrating when reading comments that sound negative. but just let it roll off your back. You seem like you got a good life so just keep living it and do what you do.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeVee View Post

You could have simply said "Hey thanks for actually answering the question I asked you" but nope, you have to continue being the Mr Negativity
    Yes, you might’ve gotten a “thanks for answering my question”.... If you hadn’t preceded it with these comments.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeVee View Post
    I have had enough. I don't owe you anything, and I don't respond well to orders or challenges. And I don't have to prove anything. Especially not to you.
    You can’t try to insult someone and demand respect in return.

14. Dislikes Kacz disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post

Pan, good job on the videos. Keep them coming. Sometimes emails/posts translate in a different manner than they are intended. Happens all the time at work. I know it’s tough and can be frustrating when reading comments that sound negative. but just let it roll off your back. You seem like you got a good life so just keep living it and do what you do.
    Hey thanks I appreciate that! . And thanks for sharing your experience with your coatings. It's always nice to get feedback from people using all kinds of different coatings and brands.

16. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what, I top everything and when my "new to me" car gets coated it will get initial toppings from TAC system, same brand as the coating and many coats of Poly Gloss too!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast