autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 165 of 168 FirstFirst ... 65115155156157158159160161162163164165166167168 LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1671
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Thinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

Ok, for anyone interested, here's the story on the Abarth going away. So about 2 weeks ago, while dropping my daughter off, my car threw a code (P0420) which was some low efficient cat. I cleared the code before I left work that day but it came on after about a mile, no problem, I expected that. The cat is covered under an 8 yr/80K warranty, so atleast if it was that I'd be covered and good thing too because cats aren't cheap! I made an appointment for the car to be checked out at a different Fiat dealership, not the one I've made a relationship with, I didn't feel good about this one bit, I LOVE MY CAR! I was going to have to leave it there after hours and then have them check it out in the morning, didn't like that either...oh I should mention this is an hour away from where we live but even that wasn't a problem before because I knew who was looking after the car, the hits just keep on coming! Then, after SIXTY MILES the CEL turns itself off and I'm like great, now let's keep an eye on it and I did just that and NO issues, so I cancelled my appointment which was scheduled last Friday.

On that particular Friday where I was supposed to get the car checked out we took our daughter in for her surgery, ear tubes and after that I decided to drive a distance away to go and see my hook up at Discount Tire to order a new set of tires for my car, along with a new set of rims...oh yeah, I sold my "tellphone dial" O.Z. 45th anniversary wheels to make room for these which were the 1552 Intergrale's...in gloss white, yes, I said it, WHITE WHEELS, fully rally car look here because the Martini Racing livery was also going to be getting done, a vision I've had for over a year and was put waaaaaay on the back burner but as soon as 1552 released those wheels, it was over and I couldn't get away from it. So I took care of that, we drove home and I decided to get my emission test done because you need it every 2 years here in Illinoyed after an initial 4 year grace period on a new car, I got that right, right, LOL! Here's where the plot thickens.

I go to the station, get in line and pull in and shut my car off. I always shut the car off because when plugging in something to the OBDII port you have your car off, plug in and then start it but this person decides not to do it this way and apparently it doesn't matter to the state of Illinoyed either. As soon as she plugs in...BAM, C E L.I had the supervisor come out and explain to me why they'd do that and he said its how they do it and to call the number at the bottom of the form if you wanna file a complaint. I drove off and called the number and the guy actually told me they are supposed to shut the car off before pluggin' in, as I thought. I then drove to my buddy's graphic shop and cleared the codes and went back to the emission station. The codes they found originally were for the drive by wire and low efficient MAP or MAF, whatever. When I pulled in I did the same thing and this time the supervisor came out to do the test but before they could plug in it popped a CEL on its own, this time only 1 code, not 2, stupid. I drove off with 2 FAILS in hand and showed a local shop, which just so happens to be local and he said you need to drive the car around and come back here if the code doesn't go away. At this point I'm pissed and made the decision to trade the car in. I should also mention that the shifter motion going side to side was like it was in cement. I could go from 1st to 2nd and if I needed to put the car into N it wouldn't go in middle like all sticks do, this one stayed inline between 1st and 2nd making its own N. In addition to this, going from 5th to 4th was always an adventure as well. I had the fluid changed at 50K and get this, happens more when it warm outside, not colder.

I explained all this to my buddy back home who's very smart with cars, talks over my head half the time about these things and had an Abarth himself and he said sometimes you've just gotta "read the tea leaves", I knew exactly what he meant and I did just that. I had a lot of plans for that little car, tried getting leather seats for it, wanted to do the suspension, the previously mentioned wheels and oh yeah about those wheels, I got an 85% refund on that, got hit with a 15% restocking fee and my buddy even ate the shipping costs, pretty fair deal and I was so sorry about doing this I told him because I had never done anything like this before. I even have an intake I need to sell because in an effort to lower my IAT's I bought an intake the uses the stock airbox instead of it sucking in hot engine air, the car atleast once a year would go into limpmode when it was hot, cool down and then full boost came back and the CEL would cycle itself out.

I had the car for 5 years and 1 month, had 64.8K on the clock and served me well, for the most part, in its time with, never ever had to get out and walk but it was flat bedded once and that was for a shift cable that I snapped 2 winters ago, that was a fun drive home, didn't even know what gear I was in, LOL! I feel that that car was my last "true enthusiast" car but that's not to say I don't like my new car because I do and I've had it on my short list since it came out last year, well, in that body style and engine format anyways. I have an even more obscure car now than I had before, never ever thought that was possible but it is.

To quote Bob Seger...."turn the page!"
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

I'm sorry that the Abarth had to go out that way.
    I really liked that car and what you had done to it.
    That being said, what are your plans for the Elantra?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD
    3.0L V6, Tein H-Tech springs, Whiteline RSB, 35% Tints, HD Lip, Magnaflow Axle Back
    2015 Ford Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerc View Post
    I'm sorry that the Abarth had to go out that way.
    I really liked that car and what you had done to it.
    That being said, what are your plans for the Elantra?

Well, with summer coming I need my windows tinted first, what did CAP charge you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well the Abarth served you well Roger, and I loved everything you did to it.

We all look forward to your Elantra adventures
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

5. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you need a '67 Vette with a 427, 4 speed, and 4.56 rear...............
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack, Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well, with summer coming I need my windows tinted first, what did CAP charge you?

$268 and they threw in a hand wash and a free windshield coating.

2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD
    3.0L V6, Tein H-Tech springs, Whiteline RSB, 35% Tints, HD Lip, Magnaflow Axle Back

Post Thanks / Like

Well performance wise I have my eye on an aFe intake, they offer 2 and both are basically enclosed but have 2 different filter options. One is oiled and makes more power, 14 whp and a dry filter that makes 7 whp. It could use some growl from under the hood for sure but the exhaust is a different story. Apparently Hyundai worked hard to get the exhaust note "right", sounds like another car I knowThinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

The thing is this, I don't want it to "try" and sound like an Abarth which then reflects upon its owner, me, also "trying to hard". This car is understated compared to the Abarth and I wanna play to the cars strength, that isn't to say I will not add an exhaust because I will but i need to do it once and do it RIGHT! I mean with all the work they did it could just need the resoanter removed. On the other hand they say the stock muffler is restrictive and axle-backs are available and make power and based on what I've seen so far, I could gain 20 whp between that intake and axle-back which is nothing more than a straight pipe but like I said, I fear an "Abarth type" sound. Right now you can hear the exhaust, seriously so I'm going to watch and learn and when I can, pull the trigger.

I know for sure the stock wheels will be used for my winter wheels and getting wrapped in Nokian winter tires (not even going to attempt to spell that name, just sneeze and you've nailed it, LOL) I have my eyes on 2 different sets of TSW wheels right now and it's good that I have more time than money right now but that's ok, seriouslyThinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I think you need a '67 Vette with a 427, 4 speed, and 4.56 rear...............
    Nah....4.56 is waaaaaaaay too much, I'd go with a 3.36 if your taking BONE stockThinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah....4.56 is waaaaaaaay too much, I'd go with a 3.36 if your taking BONE stockThinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

How would you wind it up to beat my Hemi then, Rog??
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Well performance wise I have my eye on an aFe intake, they offer 2 and both are basically enclosed but have 2 different filter options. One is oiled and makes more power, 14 whp and a dry filter that makes 7 whp. It could use some growl from under the hood for sure but the exhaust is a different story. Apparently Hyundai worked hard to get the exhaust note "right", sounds like another car I knowThinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

The thing is this, I don't want it to "try" and sound like an Abarth which then reflects upon its owner, me, also "trying to hard". This car is understated compared to the Abarth and I wanna play to the cars strength, that isn't to say I will not add an exhaust because I will but i need to do it once and do it RIGHT! I mean with all the work they did it could just need the resoanter removed. On the other hand they say the stock muffler is restrictive and axle-backs are available and make power and based on what I've seen so far, I could gain 20 whp between that intake and axle-back which is nothing more than a straight pipe but like I said, I fear an "Abarth type" sound. Right now you can hear the exhaust, seriously so I'm going to watch and learn and when I can, pull the trigger.

I know for sure the stock wheels will be used for my winter wheels and getting wrapped in Nokian winter tires (not even going to attempt to spell that name, just sneeze and you've nailed it, LOL) I have my eyes on 2 different sets of TSW wheels right now and it's good that I have more time than money right now but that's ok, seriouslyThinking about trading in the CR-Z for a Fiat 500 Abarth, thoughts?

I just put a aFe dry filter in my car. It's a little noisier in sport mode. I've also noticed a bit more top end power. Its worth it, to me.

2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD

15. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, SWETM liked this post
Page 165 of 168 FirstFirst ... 65115155156157158159160161162163164165166167168 LastLast