autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Social media coatings

Anyone have any experience with the latest and greatest, last products you’ll ever need to buy that are being advertised on social media?
    I’m curious to get peoples opinions that have used these products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Social media coatings

Quote Originally Posted by heloguy View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the latest and greatest, last products you’ll ever need to buy that are being advertised on social media?

Not sure the brands, but theres a lot of garbage out there. Stick to tried and tested brands. Theres a lot of fake YouTube and other social media reviews by shills for these companies.

3. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Not sure the brands, but theres a lot of garbage out there. Stick to tried and tested brands. Theres a lot of fake YouTube and other social media reviews by shills for these companies.
    I agree. I watch the ads on Facebook and Instagram and I’m amazed at how good they make it look. Knowing all the while it’s all garbage.
    I feel bad for the people that get suckered.

Post Thanks / Like

The one I get the most ads for on IG is Topcoat F11. They use sick cars for their ads. Then I saw another post on IG trash talking Topcoat. I honestly almost bought some to try but then realized that the best stuff "WGDGS, QD and their SiO2 spray" is already on my shelves in bulk jugs.

That stuff is much more expensive than WG products anyway.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by heloguy View Post

I answer this question by telling a "kind of" joke.

As I'm standing in front of a person asking me about a new product, I turn my self around in a circle and as I'm taking a few steps to turn-around in a circle I say,

In the time it takes me to turn-around in a circle there's a new coating on the market.

Usually the person or people I'm talking to and myself have a laugh and then continue with the discussion. Point being, is "coatings" have hit the tipping point where mainstream Joe and Joanne Consumer now know the "term" but are pretty much un-educated about the product and more important the PROCESS required to apply or to use coating-lingo, INSTALL a coating.

Reminds me of Beanie Babies and Cabbage Patch Dolls, neither of which I collected for the record.

To wrap-up my conversation with the person or persons, I give them the same advice I've been giving all my life in this industry and to be safe, go with an established brand with a great reputation. That either makes sense or goes over their head and after I walk away they are probably going back to Facebook to watch some amazing demonstration of water running off a car hood.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post

The one I get the most ads for on IG is Topcoat F11.
    I met an older gentleman just last week that asked me about F11 and I told him the story I just shared above. And "yes" as I told the story I turned myself around in a circle.

He then told me he loves Topcoat F11 and bus it by the gallon.

First I get tired of people that are testing me by asking me questions without first being up front with me. In this case he's asking me my opinion about a product he already owns, uses and loves but he didn't make that apparent on purpose before asking me his question.

Second - the sun was out so I looked at the finish on his car and sure the paint was shiny but it was all swirled out. I could tell right away from his talk and the finish on his car he was an expert on paint care. So I let him talk and talk and talk about how great his other cars all look while I washed a Camaro.

I've never used Topcoat F11 and my guess is at a minimum it's a decent product. MOST coatings on the market if applied to clean car paint will make water bead up and run off a car hood. If that's all a person wants then there are probably a lot cheaper ways to get water to bead up and run off your car's hood.

Me?

I guess I appreciate the process as much as the LSP and think that for nice cars, the paint should be corrected at least to some level before chemically stripping the paint and then installing a paint coating. Now this of course is only for people that look at their car as an extension of their personality and take pride in taking care of all their possessions and/or investments.

For the average Joe Consumer that doesn't wash and wax their car anyways, (and when I drive down the road that would be about 90% of the people I see driving a car), then get the F11 and have at it.

Now days, when I detail a car I take a picture of everything I use. In my next write-up I will list all the items and what they cost. This would be what it would cost for a person that owns nothing to coat their car. I do this because most people don't know that before you can apply any coating you need to,

• Wash
    • Decontaminate
    • Machine polish
    • Chemically strip
    • Install coating

And to go with each one of those steps you need,

• Tools
    • Chemicals - lots of them
    • Pads - lots of them
    • Towels - lots of them and not junky towels but GOOD and contaminant free towels
    • The solvent and coating

Yep... we've hit the tipping point, everyone knows or is getting to know the word "ceramic paint coating" but now comes the boring part of education and bringing the masses up to speed on what they need BESIDES the coating to coat their Toyota Prius.

And here's the good news.... Autogeek provides the education and we sell all the stuff to make the magic happen.

7. Thanks heloguy, Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I answer this question by telling a "kind of" joke.

As I'm standing in front of a person asking me about a new product, I turn my self around in a circle and as I'm taking a few steps to turn-around in a circle I say,

In the time it takes me to turn-around in a circle there's a new coating on the market.

Usually the person or people I'm talking to and myself have a laugh and then continue with the discussion. Point being, is "coatings" have hit the tipping point where mainstream Joe and Joanne Consumer now know the "term" but are pretty much un-educated about the product and more important the PROCESS required to apply or to use coating-lingo, INSTALL a coating.

Reminds me of Beanie Babies and Cabbage Patch Dolls, neither of which I collected for the record.

To wrap-up my conversation with the person or persons, I give them the same advice I've been giving all my life in this industry and to be safe, go with an established brand with a great reputation. That either makes sense or goes over their head and after I walk away they are probably going back to Facebook to watch some amazing demonstration of water running off a car hood.

I met an older gentleman just last week that asked me about F11 and I told him the story I just shared above. And "yes" as I told the story I turned myself around in a circle.

He then told me he loves Topcoat F11 and bus it by the gallon.

First I get tired of people that are testing me by asking me questions without first being up front with me. In this case he's asking me my opinion about a product he already owns, uses and loves but he didn't make that apparent on purpose before asking me his question.

Second - the sun was out so I looked at the finish on his car and sure the paint was shiny but it was all swirled out. I could tell right away from his talk and the finish on his car he was an expert on paint care. So I let him talk and talk and talk about how great his other cars all look while I washed a Camaro.

I've never used Topcoat F11 and my guess is at a minimum it's a decent product. MOST coatings on the market if applied to clean car paint will make water bead up and run off a car hood. If that's all a person wants then there are probably a lot cheaper ways to get water to bead up and run off your car's hood.

Me?

I guess I appreciate the process as much as the LSP and think that for nice cars, the paint should be corrected at least to some level before chemically stripping the paint and then installing a paint coating. Now this of course is only for people that look at their car as an extension of their personality and take pride in taking care of all their possessions and/or investments.

For the average Joe Consumer that doesn't wash and wax their car anyways, (and when I drive down the road that would be about 90% of the people I see driving a car), then get the F11 and have at it.

Now days, when I detail a car I take a picture of everything I use. In my next write-up I will list all the items and what they cost. This would be what it would cost for a person that owns nothing to coat their car. I do this because most people don't know that before you can apply any coating you need to,

• Wash
    • Decontaminate
    • Machine polish
    • Chemically strip
    • Install coating

And to go with each one of those steps you need,

• Tools
    • Chemicals - lots of them
    • Pads - lots of them
    • Towels - lots of them and not junky towels but GOOD and contaminant free towels
    • The solvent and coating

Yep... we've hit the tipping point, everyone knows or is getting to know the word "ceramic paint coating" but now comes the boring part of education and bringing the masses up to speed on what they need BESIDES the coating to coat their Toyota Prius.

And here's the good news.... Autogeek provides the education and we sell all the stuff to make the magic happen.

Thanks for the great response Mike!
    I’m glad to get your input. You are correct that every 10 minutes there is a new “magic coating” hitting the market. I highly doubt that any of them are worth the effort.
    I’ll continue using tried and true products and getting some tricks and tips, and learning more about those products and the new ones coming out. It’s great to be a part of this community!
    Happy Friday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    The one I get the most ads for on IG is Topcoat F11. They use sick cars for their ads. Then I saw another post on IG trash talking Topcoat. I honestly almost bought some to try but then realized that the best stuff "WGDGS, QD and their SiO2 spray" is already on my shelves in bulk jugs.

That stuff is much more expensive than WG products anyway.
    F1 Topcoat is about the same as Meguiars Xpress spray wax. It's a good product for what it does but it's not worth the price they are asking. If they solf it for 10$ per bottle it would be fine, but at the price they are selling it, there are countless better products you can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    F1 Topcoat is about the same as Meguiars Xpress spray wax. It's a good product for what it does but it's not worth the price they are asking. If they solf it for 10$ per bottle it would be fine, but at the price they are selling it, there are countless better products you can get.
    Their site sells a 32oz spray bottle with towel for around $60. Too much IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Mileyou look like a big guy. This put a picture of you in the toy isle with a beanie in one hand and a cabbage patch in the other deciding which one will do a better job removing LSP......lol.

Hey I get it. This stuff is marketed to the masses who don’t pay much attention to their car. It would be like one of us having to we’re nail polish for a day. If we had to get it and an ad popped up in your social media of choice and we could get it in time we’d probably just order. Most look at car care this way. It’s better than them not doing anything.

Me personally, in my younger days spent hours taking care of my car cuz it was my prized possession. Get older more responsibilities, more nicer things.... kinda went to the way side. Finally bought another car I took pride in (and black!). I bought some clay and car wash and hydrosilex of Amazon and honestly was all good stuff....but those swirls! Looked like little micro cuts into the heart of my soul. But really it was that stuff (recommended to someone who takes care of his car well but didn’t fall down the rabbit hole as deep) that got me into car care again. And then I’m talking to a friend as I kinda got the bug back and he mentions he has a Quartz ceramic coating (cquartz tio) and shows the “ceramic coating video” with the mud sheeting off. I buys it right away of amazon. and start doing research. I see on Autopia forum I need to have paint “corrected”. Decided I’d go have it done professionally and first shop didn’t have time to do it so didn’t have time for me. The second guy didn’t like that I asked so many questions and was kind of a d##che so I do some more research and for the price their charging I can’t spend less and attempt myself. Also found out that theirs something therapeutic about this. I normally don’t like quiet but realize when I’m cleaning my car theirs no noise (music, conversation, tv). Just me and my microfiber towel.

In short at least, what I call the new infomercials, get the masses to clean their cars.... then it gets a number of us deeper into the abyss.

And for the talking heads mike, who just wanna talk about what and why they use us the greatest and don’t wanna listen. I’m with you just let em talk cuz they ain’t ever gonna learn....

12. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes 392hemi, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I shouldn't order beadmaker is what your saying

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Autogeekonline mobile app

14. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast