autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Supra

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    So Derek0609 and I were talking today about the GR badge on the car (Gazoo Racing) and I said that they may be trying to get the brand out there, anyone have thoughts on this? I mean they already have TRD which is very well established, why not use IT?
    Gazoo Racing is the Toyota buisness line which runs all of their factory sponsored racing programs around the world, i.e. their LMP1 car in the WEC, the WRC rally car, and (one I didn't know about) a GT-Class, LC-based car they raced in the 24hrs of Nurburgring. From what I understand the Gazoo Racing team had a hand in the body design and tuning of the Supra after they got the platform from BMW. I think they are trying to show the Supra is a legitimate sports car tightly integrated into their motorsports program (seen by the ability to turn fake vents into real ones), vs simply being associated with the TRD brand which is mostly a line of mild factory performance accessories you get at the dealer parts counter.

I would be very surprised if we don't seen a Supra running in GT-class racing in Asia and/or Europe. It might even be the basis for Toyota's future efforts in the top class of WEC racing when the LMP1 cars go away, which they have already committed to.

Also someone earlier mentioned that they didn't like the Lexus RC500 and I know its your opinion but that car hurts my neck everytime I see one! IMO its a concept car for the road and the only thing I CAN NOT STAND are the 21" wheels that come on the V8 model, they are ghastly....so ghastly that if I bought that car it wouldn't leave the lot with them on, I'd have a set of nice HRE's sent to the dealership and have them installed, my God are those wheels hideous, hell, the hybrid V6 model has nicer lookin' rims, why is so hard to come up with nice rims for a stunning car like that???
    Do you mean the LC500? Yes, I too think it's a fantastic looking car. I don't think I'd want to take it to the track or a back-road blast through tight mountain roads, but it would be a perfect platform for a long road trip. The wheels don't bother me at all in any size. The design of the car is very concept-ish, like you mention, but I think a set of HRE's or something similar would be too traditional of a design and clash with the overall persona of the car...at least to my eyes, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and very personal. The car is a neck-snapper no matter how you slice it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Supra

Really mixed feelings about this car.

Yes, it’s cool that it’s a 50/50 weight distribution rear drive turbo car, but it is barely a Toyota.

At first I thought it was a reworking of the FRS/BRS to fit a inline 6. Nope, built in the same plant as the Z4, and basically just a Z4 with different sheet metal.

Oh, but the styling is 100% Toyota!

New 2020 Toyota Supra A90 – A Resurrected Sports Car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

One word:

PASS
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

5. Likes Klasse Act, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Really mixed feelings about this car.

Yes, it’s cool that it’s a 50/50 weight distribution rear drive turbo car, but it is barely a Toyota.

At first I thought it was a reworking of the FRS/BRS to fit a inline 6. Nope, built in the same plant as the Z4, and basically just a Z4 with different sheet metal.

Oh, but the styling is 100% Toyota!
    Is that really a bad thing? The BMW B58 inline-6 engine is fantastic and probably one the best power plants I've ever driven. The suspension and unibody frame should be a thing of beauty as well as BMW is known as a leader on that front as well and the CLAR platform is getting great reviews in the Z4 and G30 3-series. For me I think the Japanese influences in the styling is the weak link in the package.

I don't understand all the hate surrounding the vehicle. Maybe it's because I'm brand agnostic in everything and don't get hung up on country of origin, but I see a RWD sports car tuned by Toyora's racing division with 50/50 balance, solid roof, running one of the best engines on the planet, and cheaper than a Cayman or F-Type. The only big failing is the lack of manual transmission, but I'm slowly resigning myself to that being a fact of life in the horrible US auto landscape.

I'm not trying to be the Supra cheerleader here, but I think people need to get some good seat time in the car before writing it off as a loser. Until there are some decent reviews and I get a test drive, I'll remain enthusiastic about another entry in the dying sports car market.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I took these at Media Day at the Chicago Auto Show this morning.
    While I think that it looks better in person than in pictures, I'm not really thrilled by it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD
    3.0L V6, Tein H-Tech springs, Whiteline RSB, 35% Tints, HD Lip, Magnaflow Axle Back
    2015 Ford Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost AWD

8. Thanks custmsprty, Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Is that really a bad thing? The BMW B58 inline-6 engine is fantastic and probably one the best power plants I've ever driven. The suspension and unibody frame should be a thing of beauty as well as BMW is known as a leader on that front as well and the CLAR platform is getting great reviews in the Z4 and G30 3-series. For me I think the Japanese influences in the styling is the weak link in the package.

I don't understand all the hate surrounding the vehicle. Maybe it's because I'm brand agnostic in everything and don't get hung up on country of origin, but I see a RWD sports car tuned by Toyora's racing division with 50/50 balance, solid roof, running one of the best engines on the planet, and cheaper than a Cayman or F-Type. The only big failing is the lack of manual transmission, but I'm slowly resigning myself to that being a fact of life in the horrible US auto landscape.

I'm not trying to be the Supra cheerleader here, but I think people need to get some good seat time in the car before writing it off as a loser. Until there are some decent reviews and I get a test drive, I'll remain enthusiastic about another entry in the dying sports car market.
    I wouldn't call it just hate, more like extreme disappointment. You have the MKIV which is legendary, and when it was discontinued back in 2002 people always hoped that an MKV would become a reality and what that would mean to the Supra name. You had an amazing engine, easily holding 800+ HP on a stock bottom end and a bullet proof transmission capable of holding 1,700+ HP stock. The styling still draws crowds today and the value has only gone up. The interior, suspension and brakes were over engineered and ahead of its time.

When the FT1 was first introduced, the look was under scrutiny but anticipation of the motor and tranny brought hope that it would be as dominating a car as it was 25 years ago. The aftermarket mods alone made it an instant hit since it was so easy to make big power.

After all the waiting, we basically got a Z4 with an FRS/BRZ body. Most don't care if the car is made or not, the problem is with calling it a Supra. Toyota is largely seen as selling out by using BMW motor and tranny, and suspension I believe, and just a Toyota body. It's definitely not geared towards current and former Supra owners and fans, but the mass potential mass market of a new Z4/FRS fanbase.

The MKIV improved upon the MKIII is every way, and it was thought the MKV would do the same, but that isn't the case.

10. Likes custmsprty, VISITOR, Klasse Act, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^WHS^^^^^

And I'm betting all you stated above will reflect in anemic sales. My guess is they did it this way to minimize their development / investment costs.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

12. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerc View Post
    I took these at Media Day at the Chicago Auto Show this morning.
    While I think that it looks better in person than in pictures, I'm not really thrilled by it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm sure it will turn heads on the road, I'm just not sure the heads will be turning for the right reasons.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

14. Likes MadMerc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Let's go places"...yeah, like back to the drawing board
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post