autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Supra

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    What’s that old adage; oh yeah:
    "Success begets further success”

In this case further amounted to just
    a little over 25 years; and an additional
    $30,000, or so.

[“Progress” has numerous meanings.]

Bob
    Wired but if you take inflation into account, new Supra 10-20 k cheaper...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Love the sarcasm! Seriously, though how does you Abarth hold up with all the snow. I know you run winter tires, but is clearance an issue?

For me, it's the quality of the materials. If that switch gear was in another vehicle of a similar price point I wouldn't think anything of it and totally agree with you. But when you put the same switch gear in a vehicle which costs over $100K it looks REALLY out of place. When complared to the quality of the materials being used in it's competitors at BMW, Audi, Porsche, they look really out of place and rather low-rent.

I don't think it's all about the power when you're talking sports cars. Being light and well balanced is just as important, if not moreso. A Cayman is one of the best driving sports cars on the road by all counts and the hp on the current 718 generations range from 300 to 365. In a 3100 lb car that's really quick in a car with fantastic handling abilities. A Lotus Elise is another good example. It weighs only 2000 lbs with hp around 200 hp and is properly quick as well. The new Supra will be 3400 lbs (the same as my mk6 GTI). The BMW B58 engine they are using, in true German fashion, is know to be underrated and is often putting out around 350~360hp in reality. Not that far off your 400hp figure and in a car of that weight it should be plenty powerful enough to perform well beyond the skill of 90% of it's owners.
    Yes your right about power to weight but more power with more suspension always better. And the bmw will have 350-360. Supra is toned down to 336. Big difference to 400. With it being turbo charge probably no problem getting it to 400 with all the Toyota tuners out their. Agreed with most.... not a bad car or collaboration. Just not a Supra to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Comparing the g70 to the Supra isn't a good one, it's more lux and GT car than the Supra is and a GT-R is over $100K and is basically a Supercar GT, not a sports car.

I'm enjoying the conversation hereToyota Supra

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I've drove the car this morning and when I got to work I shoveled snow around my van and there was easily 7" of snow, so it gets through it, wouldn't mind being able to raise it up about 3 inches though, LOL, I mean I should right, it is a toy, LOL. Having Blizzaks, 3 pedals and turning off the traction control makes all the difference in the world, plus I'm CPT SLOW, a double meaning for my car and I. I drive for a living and I just "Take it easy", no "Life in the fast lane" for me, LOL.
    There are guys out there doing retro safari 911 builds, maybe its time for a safari 500! I just found some pictures of a couple good rally 500s.

As far as the switch gear goes, I hear yah but is there really a difference in quality of button, as far as looks and feel? Then again I've never owned a high end car, unless you consider a 1993 Park Avenue Ultra in 1998 a "High end" car, LOL.
    I've not owned anything nicer than an E46 3-series I bought new back in 99, but yes there is a big difference. In fact, even at lower price points there is a difference. The switch gear in my GTI is much better than than in my wife's Highlander despite the Toyota being the top trim package and being a more expensive vehicle. When you sit and touch things and operate the buttons etc, you can tell good ones from bad in the way they operate and the quality of plastic used. Take a look at a modern Audi from the last couple of generations. They are quite impressive and I think BMW is closing in. Cheap touch-points drive me nuts no matter how expensive the vehicle. I care far more for the quality of those items than the overall stying of the interior.

To be honest, that is another reason I like the Toyota/BMW mash-up of the Supra. While the BMW interiors are rather boring (the way I like them) the switchgear is quite good and on par with Audi. Toyota's I've seen...not so much.

DMW, I respect your opinion and I hear yah but not all sports cars "need" 400 hp but a new Miata with a turbo kit making 300 hp might change your mind but that would be aftermarket and I guess we're comparing apples and oranges at that point.
    That would be fun. How about one of the LS-swaped Miata's!

I see power and weight being a delicate balance. I like to autocross and drive the tight Ozark back roads and have done a track day. One thing I've found is getting into a 400+ HP car you not only get a lot of weight (unless the car is a Vette or something else exotic), but you also limit the places where you can really dip into all that power. On an autocross track, that much power is over kill and very hard to modulate. I've watched many Vettes and Mustangs spin and spray cones every where. On the Ozark roads that much power is a great way to launch yourself into the trees. Even some tracks aren't well suited to that kind of power. I'd happily trade weight and balance for hp. To a point.

I'm sure there is something to be said for chasing the horizon in a 500hp monster.

Comparing the g70 to the Supra isn't a good one, it's more lux and GT car than the Supra is and a GT-R is over $100K and is basically a Supercar GT, not a sports car.

Agree. Not a good comparison. The GT-R is a unique beast in it's own right. Despite the power it puts down and physics bending handling, it's over 4000 lbs! The Q60 is more of GT coupe than a sports car. It's bigger, has a back seat, and at least 400lbs heavier than the new Supra. My guess is the Supra driving experience will be much more focused sports-car like the Cayman and less like the Q60.

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    See my above post Bob, Turbo Supra was a $40,000 plus vehicle 20 years ago. It priced itself out of the market so the market died. So did the 300Z and hence why it's sales plummeted and it was discontinued. Fortunately for many Nissan decided to get back into the market with the 350Z. It will be interesting to see based upon the Supra being back if they finally update the 370Z.
    I had the same thoughts when I looked at a 370Z at the auto show this weekend. Nissan hasn't done any major update to that car in a decade. The GT-R is in a similar situation. I really hope they do try to compete again with Toyota and not simply forfeit that space and simply build more Rogues. Ugh.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All this....^^^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

The Toyota Supra’s lead designer has said in many interviews the cayman and 718 were benchmark cars they were trying to emulate. With that in mind this car with the specs it has are pretty close to perfect for what they are trying to achieve. You also need to remember this car is the base version, a high performance version is going to be released later on, albeit with a higher price tag.

Post Thanks / Like

Road and Track did a piece which discussed how all the covers on the fake vents are removable so any teams racing the car can add extra cooling or other aerodynamic bits to enhance the car. I really like the idea of popping out those covers on the front facia and maybe the rear to improve brake cooling.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

So Derek0609 and I were talking today about the GR badge on the car (Gazoo Racing) and I said that they may be trying to get the brand out there, anyone have thoughts on this? I mean they already have TRD which is very well established, why not use IT?

Also someone earlier mentioned that they didn't like the Lexus RC500 and I know its your opinion but that car hurts my neck everytime I see one! IMO its a concept car for the road and the only thing I CAN NOT STAND are the 21" wheels that come on the V8 model, they are ghastly....so ghastly that if I bought that car it wouldn't leave the lot with them on, I'd have a set of nice HRE's sent to the dealership and have them installed, my God are those wheels hideous, hell, the hybrid V6 model has nicer lookin' rims, why is so hard to come up with nice rims for a stunning car like that???

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    See my above post Bob, Turbo Supra was a $40,000 plus vehicle 20 years ago. It priced itself out of the market so the market died. So did the 300Z and hence why it's sales plummeted and it was discontinued. Fortunately for many Nissan decided to get back into the market with the 350Z. It will be interesting to see based upon the Supra being back if they finally update the 370Z.
    There have been rumors of a “400z” in a few publications. I sure would like to see a new Z in a few years. I owned three 370zs but it’s way past time for a complete overhaul. The 370zs are not selling well at all right now. It’s still a fun car, but the interior needs to be refreshed. They should turbocharge some of the last ones as a special edition for a send off and I might buy my 4th.

Post Thanks / Like

Never compared to GTR... definetly outmonied and outclassed. Just pointing out Nissan gets its roots and knows what consumers want in a Japanese sports car. And for all y’all saying q60 redsport not a comparison have you drove one? It is not a Q50 platform (Altima) it is built of off the 370z. And luxury or not 400hp twin turbo? Same price point? This is a gt sports car way more than the likes of this Supra. It’s what the 370z was suppose to be.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast