autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Scott from Dallas Paint Correction claims Meg's Ceramic has no Si02 in it, or less than 2%.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I guess he was involved in the making of the product. Take what he says with a grain of salt. It’s why I stopped watching him long ago.

2. Likes Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I guess he was involved in the making of the product. Take what he says with a grain of salt. It’s why I stopped watching him long ago.
    Well, it would be easy to get an MSDS sheet and find out, right? As far as his involvement in his product goes, well, I for one take him at his word, I mean he's a detailer by trade and I'd like to think be knows what a product needs to do, right? I have many of his towels and they're the best I've ever used! I also have Revive and Armor and they both worked great, even though it was a little cool down in the garage when using Armor, his Sio2 spray sealant which has a documented 10% Sio2 content (I cut it down to 7.5% Sio2)

I know his early vids could rub people the wrong way but if you watch the w vids of him where opens up about his life I think people would have a whole different take on Scott and his approach.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well, it would be easy to get an MSDS sheet and find out, right? As far as his involvement in his product goes, well, I for one take him at his word, I mean he's a detailer by trade and I'd like to think be knows what a product needs to do, right? I have many of his towels and they're the best I've ever used! I also have Revive and Armor and they both worked great, even though it was a little cool down in the garage when using Armor, his Sio2 spray sealant which has a documented 10% Sio2 content (I cut it down to 7.5% Sio2)

I know his early vids could rub people the wrong way but if you watch the w vids of him where opens up about his life I think people would have a whole different take on Scott and his approach.

I get that you enjoy his content. His content is not for me nor do I want to watch any more of his content. It is great that you are supporting him. But I for one am not one who will.

The MSDS is a good source. I have not looked for it.

I am just saying that many detailers including us on the forum often speculate on the chemical make up a product. But it is just speculating. Most of the time the formula is proprietary. Experience with a product in the long term would dictate more clout.

This is some good information from the Meguiar's rep.

Markus Kleis, Meguiar's Professional Product Manager here, thought I would comment and add a little clarity for the folks who love to know the intricate details about products. First, thanks to Brian from @apex detail for taking the time to put this video together - very cool! Since this product is VERY new (only been available for a few weeks), and is very unique compared to not only the rest of our lineup or products, but also unique compared to other "similarly applied" products, I thought it would be good to add a few tidbits of background info.

For one, although we call the product "Hybrid Ceramic Wax," this product is actually a sealant infused with an extremely high level of sio2-based material. We call it a "hybrid wax" because in the consumer market "wax" resonates with more people, but we used "hybrid" to clarify that it is a blend and not to be compared with a traditionally applied ceramic coating. Speaking of the application method, I would like to add that if you look closely at the rear label it actually calls for a "wax as you dry" application method for the first use to establish a solid base coat, and then the "spray on, rinse off" method can be used for subsequent coats. This product layers exceptionally well, both with itself and above or below other forms or protection, including traditional waxes and sealants (it also acts as a phenomenal topper for ceramic coated surfaces!).

Because of the nano-particles, this product greatly prefers either a properly prepped level surface for maximum performance. As for the reason for the rinsing application method, this is actually designed to spray a very thin and even layer of product across the surface. You will find that this product is intentionally designed to spread incredibly easily and efficiently with a strong stream of water. The reason for the suggested "strong stream" is that it does a better job of spreading out a thinner, more even layer of product (but if you use a garden hose you can still make up for the lack of pressure during the drying process as this will also help to spread an even layer of product).

Lastly, in terms of durability, I am not sure what methods were used to determine a 2-4 month timeline (maybe using "similar" competitive products?), but in my own testing we have found this product to last a very solid 6+ months on a neglected car that is rarely washed or touched with anything. As always, mileage will vary based on how you apply it, what you apply it on, how you maintain it, etc, but expect 2-6 months very consistently when properly applied. That said, I personally use this as my drying aide every time I wash anything because it is incredibly slick, goes on all surfaces (trim, paint, plastics, rubber, and even glass) and just plain easy to use. Any other questions? Let me know... I will do my best to check back in and answer them. Thanks again for the cool video!

5. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well said Guz, I'll be applying it per the directions come spring, have many people in need of "attention"Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the MSDS - (G1905, Ceramic Hydrowax)

Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light............7-13% by weight
    Silicic acid, sodium salt, reaction products with chlorotrimethylsilane and iso-Pr alc................1-5% by weight
    Siloxanes and silicones, di-Me...........1-5% by weight

I like the name they have listed for it! You can find the MSDS on the UK Meguiar's site under the MSDS section. There's not much to determine from it, all the good stuff is proprietary and silica concentration may not be a significant determinant of real durability. I will confirm though that my first bottle of HCW did develop a small crack around the neck when I was shaking it yesterday. It's definitely a weak point in the bottle mold.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I am just saying that many detailers including us on the forum often speculate on the chemical make up a product. But it is just speculating. Most of the time the formula is proprietary.
    this applies to tools/polishers as well...

10. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried using this product several ways. This is what works best for me...I copied from a video I saw. Instead of spraying it on a wet car I pre diluted it 1 part cwax to 8 part distilled water on a cleaned and dry car. Goes on easy no streaks I really enjoyed using it. Thanks Guz for that info from Megs rep. This $14 product will last a very long time used this way or any other way besides spray on and rinse off. I hope the product is hit for Meguiars and think the low price is a great move. What ever is used in this has a dense feel to it... hard to explain its very thick but not oil based when added to water the way it clouded and dispersed was almost like a fine mud but blue. For example if you see a clear puddle then disturb the water the fine silt moves through the puddle that what it did when mixed. The sniffy snif test was okay artificial blue raspberry lemonade fake sugar smell.

12. Likes SANCTUM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    I have tried using this product several ways. This is what works best for me...I copied from a video I saw. Instead of spraying it on a wet car I pre diluted it 1 part cwax to 8 part distilled water on a cleaned and dry car. Goes on easy no streaks I really enjoyed using it. Thanks Guz for that info from Megs rep. This $14 product will last a very long time used this way or any other way besides spray on and rinse off. I hope the product is hit for Meguiars and think the low price is a great move. What ever is used in this has a dense feel to it... hard to explain its very thick but not oil based when added to water the way it clouded and dispersed was almost like a fine mud but blue. For example if you see a clear puddle then disturb the water the fine silt moves through the puddle that what it did when mixed. The sniffy snif test was okay artificial blue raspberry lemonade fake sugar smell.
    I'm glad we've got people like Guz here whom have friends in high places but it's too bad that THOSE directions aren't found on the bottle. I say this because it sounds like a much better user experience this way. I've seen Apex Detailing and Pan's video on this product and those ways seem to work too, so here we've got 3 ways to apply the product now, LOLMeguiar's Hybrid Ceramic WaxMeguiar's Hybrid Ceramic WaxMeguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I think Meguiars tried to make the HCW as user friendly as possible. The problem with doing that it's don't flash too quickly is it's also not seems to be going through a water hydrophilic paint with water standing on it. As I think I saw in Loach aka Wax Mode video. On an already hydrophobic surface it seems to be doing great. And even if it's a little more user friendly as it would not be drying on you as fast as most spray on rinse off coating products do. We will see when the temperature goes up and average Joe start to use it in the sun and apply it to the whole car before rinsing it off. Cause reading the instructions is not so great for most people. And if it takes off to be a popular product it's going to be more people that apply it wrong and gets high spots deluxe LOL. Have seen some horrible examples with Hydro2 and Wet Coat where they have gotten worse high spots than from application of a full blown coating. And a video from one who seems to be doing detailing for a job. Did a review of HCW that should be an instruction video on how you don't apply it. The wipe off of the dried up HCW after being worked in on half of the car. Was a drying towel and the body weight on it and rubbed it off. And there where no after pics either LOL. Just a mentioned about he would be reading up and look up how you apply it. On the first spray on rinse off section it happened nothing on the hydrophilic paint. Then wiped it in with a damp mf towel and did this to more than the half of the car and his assistant was trying to dry it off when already dried up. And the reaction I see some streaking LOL.

Sorry this is not bashing the HCW product but the big risk of a lot of user errors that going to be happening with it. I like these spray on rinse off coating products very much so would be interesting to be testing HCW.

Would be intresting to see one create a dried up HCW application on a little section. To see if you applyied more product and wipe it in and directly rinse it off. And this would be to see if like desolve the like to help out when it dries up on you. Also how hard it is to get a high spot or streaking off the paint. If someone has a test panel to do some experiment on it. This is for the spray on rinse off coating product from all brands that would be worth to have a solution for those who does a wrongly application. And for detailers that I think is going to be getting vehicals with this problems on them. To see how difficult or not it's to be sorting out for the customer.

Here's a screenshot of the sds sheet of HCW that Loach wrote up.

/ Tony

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, would there be any advantage to applying the ceramic base with a DA polisher rather than just wiping in with a microfiber? Would the DA work the ceramic in to the paint pores for a better base coat?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast