autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Details about sio2%

Hi.

Does anyone have a ready reckoner sort of list of the amount of Sio2% in popular ceramic coatings like carpro/gyeon as well as booster / topper ceramic coat sealants like McKees hydroblue, gyeon wetcoat, carpro reload, igl ecocoat premiere

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Details about sio2%

The closest you can get is to try to find the sds (a list of ingredients) for whatever you are interested in. Some manufacturers tout the amount of SiO2 in their products like the way manufacturers used to say how much carnauba was in a wax product. The amount of SiO2 is not all that important. It sounds good to have 95% SiO2, but just like carnauba their are different grades or types of SiO2. It can get really technical. Sometimes less is better. More SiO2 can lead to fracturing/brittleness.

The makeup of coatings is very technical and better left to chemists than detailers. Polymers IMHO are more important than SiO2. 9h is a marketing tool and means nothing. It’s almost important as “lasts up to 2 years” without stating under what conditions.

Take Optimum Gloss-Coat which is a very good coating. It contains zero SiO2.

Many of the new two layer coating systems combine a “soft” layer over a “hard” layer. The softer layer can be more hydrophobic and have some limited self-healing aspects.

I could go on but it might be boring and with the technology changing so rapidly what I say today may be wrong tomorrow. Coatings are a “rabbit hole” subject. We could discuss what is the difference between a $2 Coating and a $500 coating. I still have difficulty with that one. Lol.

3. Thanks hardisk88, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by DMW; 01-10-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: wrong post
    2005 Dodge SRT4 400whp/480wtq | 2015 Nissan Frontier (daily driver) Both are corrected and coated with CQuartz UK 3.0 by me
    I detail out of my garage as a side job on the weekends and do about 6-8 cars per month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    The closest you can get is to try to find the sds (a list of ingredients) for whatever you are interested in. Some manufacturers tout the amount of SiO2 in their products like the way manufacturers used to say how much carnauba was in a wax product. The amount of SiO2 is not all that important. It sounds good to have 95% SiO2, but just like carnauba their are different grades or types of SiO2. It can get really technical. Sometimes less is better. More SiO2 can lead to fracturing/brittleness.

The makeup of coatings is very technical and better left to chemists than detailers. Polymers IMHO are more important than SiO2. 9h is a marketing tool and means nothing. It’s almost important as “lasts up to 2 years” without stating under what conditions.

Many of the new two layer coating systems combine a “soft” layer over a “hard” layer. The softer layer can be more hydrophobic and have some limited self-healing aspects.

I could go on but it might be boring and with the technology changing so rapidly what I say today may be wrong tomorrow. Coatings are a “rabbit hole” subject. We could discuss what is the difference between a $2 Coating and a $500 coating. I still have difficulty with that one. Lol.
    ^^^

Although I’ve seen a few detailing products‘
    advertisements that claim they contain a certain
    amount (%) of SiO2...I’m pretty sure that the
    exact amount (%) of SiO2 that’s contained in
    these type of products is likely to be proprietary.

Therefore:
    Attempting to compile an accurate reckoning sort
    of list would, IMO, be the cause of an inordinate
    amount of futility—“spit(ting) in the wind” ~J. Croce

That’s just the way the ol’ ball sometimes bounces
    in the current (and seemingly lightly regulated)
    Consumer products arena. Further evaluation of
    the health risks, if any, regarding “nano” is going
    to be needed in the very near future, IMO.

[But will that mean that Manufacturers must then,
    at some point in time, reveal the exact % of SiO2
    in their products? ]

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Thanks hardisk88 thanked for this post
    Likes mdbenge, hardisk88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a post quite some time ago of someone trying to put together the amount of SiO2 in various products. Of course that thread died off. But it may have some good information.

Good post on the differences of SiO2.

Another good example is Mohs which is a different chemical make up.

Gyeon Booster is fluorine based.

The list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

Actually gloss coat does contain some SiO2. It’s a hybrid coating made up of SiC (C=carbide) with SiO2.

8. Likes hardisk88, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz, I stand corrected. I was thinking Opti-Coat was made from polymers. I almost checked before I posted it, next time I will be more careful.

10. Likes The Guz, hardisk88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Sio2 needs to be put in the sds sheet. There are alot of strings of sio2 that needs to be put in them. That often has an other chemical that reacts with it when it's gets air to it. That is not always in the description of the application that you would be but the cap on the bottle and don't hold it in your hand after you have loaded your applicator with the coating. Some are more sensitive than others with this. Think it's gtechnic that recommends that you close the bottle and put it a side after every reload on the applicator.

So as others have mentioned it's not only the Sio2 or what makes it Sio2 or what other kind of ceramic chemicals that does the protection. It's the mix of the different chemicals and build up of it. But it would be awesome to have some way to see it in written words or numbers the difference between them of some kind.

12. Likes hardisk88 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thats an eye opener. as you say, we need to see through the marketing hype and actually focuss on the results. thanks...

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hardisk88 View Post
    thats an eye opener. as you say, we need to see through the marketing hype and actually focuss on the results. thanks...
    *ahem* Beadmaker *cough*

16. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ha ha ha