autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello from New Jersey!

Hi, my name is Vinny. I'm just a guy who drives his car back and forth to work, never really thought about car paint and interior maintenance. Always thought detailing a car was way too much work but have washed and waxed my cars occasionally over the years. One day I was on YouTube and clicked on an auto detailing person and he made it look so easy; I then clicked on another channel and he made it look easier! So I thought I would like to try it; it's winter in Jersey but I'm considering in the spring to buy a DA polisher and try my hand at using it. I am not doing this professionally, I just want to maintain my cars. We own a black 2018 Sonata (big mistake on the color) that brand new needs help with the look of the paint and a white Ford Edge that seems to be OK, the dealer did put Simonize Glasscoat on this vehicle so I may have specific questions about this.

Going to get a lot of questions from me as whatever videos I have watched seem to leave out certain things and before I destroy my car, I would like to find out ... hence my forum name -Wanna Learn!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello from New Jersey!

Welcome to our group therapy Vinny. I am an old Jersey guy myself (born in Jersey City, raised in Edison). In my opinion, as long as it is above 30 degrees it is not too cold to detail your vehicle. Go ahead and get that DA polisher and start using it. Watch the videos from Mike Phillips, Pan the Organizer, Obsessed Garage and Forensic Dealing. Ask a lot of questions and take the advice from our respected members like Eldorado2K, dlc95 and many others. Enjoy the journey and enjoy the hobby.

3. Thanks Wanna Learn thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t do it! You’ll regret it! Those videos are like crack dealers free samples..... next thing you know your hooked! JK.... kinda.... I use to feel the same way. Not wash my cars all winter. Then I bought a black car Hello from New Jersey!. Now it’s kinda like my hobby and therapy. Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks Wanna Learn thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you for the welcome!

I started with Auto Fetish Detail, then I recently found Dallas Paint Correction and Detail (I tend to gravitate toward people who talk a lot - LOL!!) and now just found Apex Detail. I will have to check out the other channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, Vin.

In my opinion, Mike Phillips videos and books pretty much cover the entire experience of detailing.

I've watched many other videos from numerous sources, and while I am not discrediting any of them, not one of them offer the full scope and concepts of the profession and/or travel the country imparting this knowledge in the form of hands-on classes like Mike does.

Just saying.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Thanks Wanna Learn thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from one Jersey guy to another...what part of NJ are you from?

10. Thanks Wanna Learn thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from South ‘Jersey. You found the right place for great products, advice and Mike Phillips videos. Keep your eye on Duragloss products. Excellent with low cost.

12. Thanks Wanna Learn thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PaulMys, I came across this site when looking at Lake country backing plates and pads. I’ll certainly look at the videos you mention. I found the other two by accident but thought they gave pretty sound advice about using products outside of their intended uses. They both seemed to make using a DA very easy as well. I saw a video by Apex Detail that he removed scratches by hand which Almost everyone can do. But I am here to learn!

Briarpatch, I live around the Trenton area.

ShineMGood, “South Jersey” is relative to where in Jersey you live! Some people will say I live in South Jersey, I consider myself Central as there is a whole lot of Jersey below the Trenton area!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG and start saving your money;
    too many choices here. Try to stick to one
    brand at first.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

It's a great time to read and look at videos this time of year. One thing that I think is the basic to learn is to wash your car properly. May seem like an easy thing to do. But when the times come and you have got your cars polished and glossy and protected. And you soon after that see your cars gets wash indused swirls and drying marks. Then you are back to correct the paint again. And clearcoats are thin and a lot of compounding you are getting it even thinner. A finishing polish don't take much of clearcoat off compared to compounding. So my recommendation is to look up which wash method will suit your situation. Waterless and rinseless wash or 2 bucket wash methods and then you have the different methods within those methods. Then look at what detailing tools you need and the microfiber towels. And work with it as of starting now to get a great safe wash method dialed in. Or you can also do them all when the one suits your situation on the kind of dirt and contaminants levels you have. Then there are so many great protections to chose from to seal the clean paint in. When the spring comes you have a great base to start to polishing your car to awesome looking. And the biggest part to keep it that way already dial in.

It's a humble bunch of people here that are shareing their experience. And always helpfull with questions asked.

/ Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast