autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 13 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today non-detailing related?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    ...I’ve never changed my transmission fluid either. Been thinking about it, but I hear so many conflicting opinions on whether it does more harm than good.
    I had my transmission fluid and filter changed some time ago on barter for a detail of the guy’s ‘Vette. I never had any issues afterward although my Cadillac does have a different engine than yours.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do today non-detailing related?

What kind of vehicle do you use synthetic oil?
    The Audi basically requires it and I run Castrol synthetic with that. I use Mobil One with the Honda although it doesn’t require it. I change it once a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I had my transmission fluid and filter changed some time ago on barter for a detail of the guy’s ‘Vette. I never had any issues afterward although my Cadillac does have a different engine than yours.
    I’ve heard that you should only let them drain and refill + change the filter, but never allow them to connect their little transmission flush machine to your transmission.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve heard that you should only let them drain and refill + change the filter, but never allow them to connect their little transmission flush machine to your transmission.
    Ah. Yes. The guy who did mine did it in his driveway. He just unbolted the pan and let all the fluid drain. No machine used.

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do today non-detailing related?

The Audi basically requires it and I run Castrol synthetic with that. I use Mobil One with the Honda although it doesn’t require it. I change it once a year.
    Once per year? How many miles does the car average in that year?

I change my oil every 3 months/3k miles with conventional Penzoil even though they say I’m wasting money and resources... Eh I don’t care, it seems to keep the car happy. I also pump premium gas even though they say it’s not necessary.

6. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

...I’ve never changed my transmission fluid either. Been thinking about it, but I hear so many conflicting opinions on whether it does more harm than good.
    Eldo - How many miles do you have on your car? In my experience that's the biggest deciding factor on if you change the fluid or just let'r ride.

At the shop here we recommend skipping it if you're over 100k, because at that point you're getting in the area of more risk than reward. As it's been explained to me, The worry of a high mileage fluid change is that the fresh load of detergents in the new fluid could potentially wipe out the worn friction plates/bands in the tranny. Especially if done via flush machine as mentioned.

My own car I've been doing about every 60-70k for transmission services (fluid drain + new filter). Does it really lengthen the life of the trans? Don't know for sure, but I'm an over-maintainer. (Synthetic oil changes every 5k). But, car's got 20_,___ on it now and no one believes it when they drive it.

8. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Eldo - How many miles do you have on your car? In my experience that's the biggest deciding factor on if you change the fluid or just let'r ride.

At the shop here we recommend skipping it if you're over 100k, because at that point you're getting in the area of more risk than reward. As it's been explained to me, The worry of a high mileage fluid change is that the fresh load of detergents in the new fluid could potentially wipe out the worn friction plates/bands in the tranny. Especially if done via flush machine as mentioned.

My own car I've been doing about every 60-70k for transmission services (fluid drain + new filter). Does it really lengthen the life of the trans? Don't know for sure, but I'm an over-maintainer. (Synthetic oil changes every 5k). But, car's got 20_,___ on it now and no one believes it when they drive it.
    My DTS has 125,000 miles.
    Seville has 185,000 miles.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you know what you’re talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Once per year? How many miles does the car average in that year?

I change my oil every 3 months/3k miles with conventional Penzoil even though they say I’m wasting money and resources... Eh I don’t care, it seems to keep the car happy. I also pump premium gas even though they say it’s not necessary.
    I work from home and so my cars see little mileage. I don’t go out very far so I don’t know, maybe 3 or 4K for an entire year! I keep my cars a long time too.

I also use premium in my Caddy although it doesn’t require it. I’m sure to add Stabil too since it is seldom driven.

Post Thanks / Like

I work from home and so my cars see little mileage. I don’t go out very far so I don’t know, maybe 3 or 4K for an entire year! I keep my cars a long time too.

I also use premium in my Caddy although it doesn’t require it. I’m sure to add Stabil too since it is seldom driven.
    I’m kind of the same way. Last year I only put 9,000 miles on my Seville.. And in the 2 months I’ve had it, I’ve only put 500 miles on the DTS without even trying. I’m actually jonesing to take that car on long trip because it rides so good on the freeway... I might go pay a visit to my brothers house and hook his car up with a detail, he lives 80miles away.What did you do today non-detailing related?

Post Thanks / Like

80 miles one way is a pretty decent trip. Definitely post pics of the detail you do there!

Page 13 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast