autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Does anyone know if 931/932 actually contains a wax component or is that just marketing speak for polymers?
    No wax. It is supposedly Aqua Wax which makes it puzzling on how 931/932 can outlast straight Aqua Wax.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Agree it is puzzling and it's the reason I've tested it more than once. Will continue to do so. Maybe my Aquawax is too old? Not sure how/why it would be outlasting AW. Regarding the rations, I did try it at different ratios. In the summer is was very streaky at 5:1 to so it makes sense that I went to 8:1. If I recall I went back to 5:1 to see if it it changed the longevity.

Been away too long. Work and home activities have been killing me. I did get updates every few weeks. Most of the products are done so I almost have a clean slate to start with again. Will get an update posted this weekend and get the spreadsheet updated.

The good news is I've spent a ton of time using an orbital. The bad news is I've been spending it using this this orbital working on my decks rather than my GG6 on my cars. (This is a good sander, btw.)

Thanks for your patience.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

3. Thanks Ochnob thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Page 16 post 159 states 8:1. Was that a mistake ?

Dave
    Interesting. I will take your word for it. I assumed he used it at the dilution rate he has in his google doc spreadsheet which was 1:5.33. If it is 1:8 that’s even better. That’s the ratio I use it as. My wife’s van has it on at that ratio for about a 1.5 months and it has been on a 1400 mile thanksgiving trip and was left outside for about 2 weeks.
    To get the maximum gloss I use a full strength layer of AW 951. And then top it with the 931 for the extended durability protection. Not sure the final outcome. This is the first time it tried it this way. This sealant comparison test gave me the idea to do it that way due to 931 holding up much better than AW. It’s seems to be working.

Cruz.... I did just go outside tot the garage to do a couple windows again. Left the glass really slick. It worked well with no streaking at 1:8. Although it is on like 38 degrees out right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Does anyone know if 931/932 actually contains a wax component or is that just marketing speak for polymers?
    It contains Aquawax 951 which is fully synthetic. No carnuba.

6. Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ochnob View Post
    Sorry DLC. I haven’t tried as a clay lube. I have ONR and 914 that u sue for that. Mainly the 914.

No worries!

I've been using the ONR foe a few years now, and it works great.

I picked up some DG 921 Fast Clean & Shine. It's their quick detailer, but it seems a bit thick for a clay lube.

I do love it though. Super slick finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thanks man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ochnob View Post
    Interesting. I will take your word for it. I assumed he used it at the dilution rate he has in his google doc spreadsheet which was 1:5.33. If it is 1:8 that’s even better. That’s the ratio I use it as. My wife’s van has it on at that ratio for about a 1.5 months and it has been on a 1400 mile thanksgiving trip and was left outside for about 2 weeks.
    To get the maximum gloss I use a full strength layer of AW 951. And then top it with the 931 for the extended durability protection. Not sure the final outcome. This is the first time it tried it this way. This sealant comparison test gave me the idea to do it that way due to 931 holding up much better than AW. It’s seems to be working.

Cruz.... I did just go outside tot the garage to do a couple windows again. Left the glass really slick. It worked well with no streaking at 1:8. Although it is on like 38 degrees out right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    No worries!

I've been using the ONR foe a few years now, and it works great.

I picked up some DG 921 Fast Clean & Shine. It's their quick detailer, but it seems a bit thick for a clay lube.

I do love it though. Super slick finish.
    Agree on ONR. Most of the popular wash & shine products seem great and I'd be happy with any of them. Like most QDs DG 921 doesn't last very long. I loved using it on wife's black 4Runner (now gone). 921 made it pop like crazy. When we sold it the new owner wanted to know exactly what I did to get it looking so good and beading so well. It was Aquawax that was topped with 921 right before he came to test drive it.

10. Thanks Ochnob, MattPersman thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally updating. Sorry for the delay. Work has just been killing me, + teenagers, + holidays, and other stuff. Something seems to have changed with Google photos - I can no longer get my photos or animations there to work in imgur. Spent too much time trying to figure this out.

Summary: One product was still working on the Rover hood and a few on the Sentra hood. These were all done in early November. You can check the spreadsheet for details. Sonus SFX-4 finished at about 28 weeks. It could have been a little less, but I went a few weeks without testing. I think saying it's in the range of the best sealants I've tested so far and could last up to 6 months seems fair.

Sentra hood: All done in early November. Only Reload and DG 931 were still going. I skipped a few weeks and it's likely one of both these failed earlier than I tested. So these numbers are potentially generous for these products. I seem to be getting less performance from Reload than are other people, and DG 931 as a QD seems to to last far longer than I would expect. Would not hurt to test both these again.

Boxster hood: as of mid-November BeadMax, RejeX, and DG FC & S + AW were all working slowly. It's been 6 weeks since I tested these. Will try to get to them in the next day or two. I'd expect they're all done by now. Boxster video link.

12. Thanks Cruzscarwash, MikeC78, Ochnob, cullen2505, MattPersman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As expected everything on the Boxster hood is done. I tested 6 weeks ago so I'll split the difference and call those products done as of Dec 6th. At least one of these needs a re-rest. DG FC&S+AW going for 2 months seems long, although AW has gone for that long so perhaps it's possible.

The surprises for me on the Boxster tests are RejeX and BeadMax. Given their short lifespans either his hard to recommend over a Spray-on-wipe-off like Dodo Future Armour.

Spreadsheet is updated.

Video of the Boxster hood is about 1:20 of nothing happening.

14. Thanks Ochnob, MattPersman, BillyJack thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, Ochnob, MattPersman, BillyJack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seven products added to the Rover passenger side doors. Seven products total. 3 new ones and 4 repeats.

Products applied
    • Duragloss 104 Paste Wax
    • Finish Kare #215 AIO
    • Gyeon CanCoat
    • CarPro Reload (repeat)
    • Dodo Future Armour (repeat)
    • OptiSeal (repeat)
    • Duragloss 931 as a QD (repeat)

Prep: I washed the doors with Reset, dried, then polished with McKee's Prep Coating Polish using a Lake Country black pad. Wife then drove it , so I washed with Reset again, then dried and applied products.

Application: Applied outside on a sunny day and ~48 degrees. The paste waxes took a whole to dry. I gave them at least 45 mins before buffing. Plan is to put in in heated garage tonight. These should stay dry for another day or two. Hoping this is adequate for CanCoat.

Spreadsheet is updated.

EDIT: Car was outside all night rather than garaged as expected. It'll get about 8 hours in a 70 degree garage today then back outside tonight. Rain expected tomorrow. These products will have about 40 hours outside in 30-50 degree weather and no moisture + 8 hours inside at 70 degrees. If I can garage it again tomorrow it will add another 8 hours at 70 degrees. Probably not necessary, but want to give these a chance to adequately cure.

Edit 2: I was concerned about CanCoat not getting enough heat to cure. Made a little tent out of a plastic drop cloth and stuck my garage electric radiator under it. Currently 83 degrees under there. (Pic is looking up at the side of the car. That's a rake handle I'm using as a tent pole.)

16. Likes DetailZeus, VitreousHumor, Ochnob, dlc95 liked this post
Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast