autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Christmas Detail -2019 Corvette Stingray

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

A brand new car like that already needed to be polished with a swirl remover?

:-(

Just curious.... did you watch the video? In it, I explained "why" we polished it. Both to remove any minor swirls or other paint defects but also to perfectly clean/remove anything off the paint to prep it for a coating.

For me, standard protocol to install a coating is a minimum of at least one machine polishing step if for no other reason to ensure the paint is clean down to the surface so the ONLY thing exposed is urethane.

2. Likes custmsprty, axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t watch it, no. You polish every new vehicle regardless, huh?
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

Update

The Vette just left - forgot to take a video showing end results bot I did get pics with my Canon.

This is off my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes custmsprty, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pay attention in class Bill..he did say in prep for a coating. No telling what the dealer put on and it will interfere with the bonding of the coating.

7. Thanks Bill D thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t know I was “in class” but I’ll try to set aside some more time from my busy holiday schedule to review Mike’s videos

9. Dislikes custmsprty disliked this post
    Mike Phillips

I didn’t know I was “in class” but I’ll try to set aside some more time from my busy holiday schedule to review Mike’s videos

It's all good. One of the guys I work with, a few years ago said,

No one reads anymore

And in the context of when he said it and what he was talking about he meant everyone watches videos. So I made a video and in the video I explained in detail, kind of like I explain in detail when I type, (except no one reads anymore), why I feel the need to machine polish even a brand new car.

Watch the video - don't watch the video it's all good. But moving into 2019 you'll see me making a LOT more videos and a lot less typing.

But "yes" my personal practice is to do at least one machine polishing process to paint before using any kind of non cleaning method of sealing. This would include a carnauba wax, a synthetic sealant or a ceramic paint coating.

The only time I believe a person does not have to do at least one machine polishing process before using a non-cleaning method of sealing paint is if one is using a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO. In this case, the cleaner/wax or in the case of some products, the cleaner/sealant or cleaner/coating, is doing the cleaning or in other words the polishing.

Everyone can figure out a way that works for them but for me my practice is to machine polish before coating. If the paint is really bad then machine compound followed by machine polishing and then coating.

Also - as mentioned in the steps performed to the paint on this car in the #3 post of this thread I listed,

7. Mechanically decontaminate using the BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt

Any one that's read any number of my write-ups, answers to questions on this forum, or how-to articles would also know that my personal practice and recommendation to everyone including myself is that if I'm going to MECHANICALLY decontaminate paint then I'm already planning on and have built into my schedule at least one machine polishing process to remove any MARRING caused by the mechanical decontamination process.

Mechanical decontamination can include any of these procedures,

1. Using detailing clay
    2. Using a Nanoskin Mitt or any other version of a Nanoskin mitt (I used the BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt)
    3. Using a Nanoskin Towel or any other version of the Nanoskin towel (I like the Optimum version of the Nanoskin towel)
    4. Using a Nanoskin pad on an orbital polisher

All 4 methods listed above are called mechanical decontamination and in my opinion and experience introduce the possibility of marring to the paint. Once the possibility exists, whether I can see it or not, I'm assuming it's taking place and thus the personal practice of doing at least one machine polishing step to remove any potential marring.

Make sense?

11. Likes axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For most of us here we want to start off on the right foot, this means we take matters into our own hands, not a minimum wage porter who's either run it through their carwash or washed it with one bucket. If your doing a coating, prep is EVERYTHING, clean is clean is clean and with the coating being permanent, well, you want it flawless as hell under the coating.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I fully understand the prep process including the fact that the paint needs to be clean before a coating

Mike you’ll have to forgive me but I tend to skim your articles I do read what’s important. Maybe your upcoming videos will be something to look forward to next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just curious.... did you watch the video? In it, I explained "why" we polished it. Both to remove any minor swirls or other paint defects but also to perfectly clean/remove anything off the paint to prep it for a coating.

For me, standard protocol to install a coating is a minimum of at least one machine polishing step if for no other reason to ensure the paint is clean down to the surface so the ONLY thing exposed is urethane.

Mike,

I read everything and watched the video, and I had the same question, "a new car needs to be polished with swirl remover?" However, I wasn't questioning the need for polishing, I was curious about the need for swirl remover. I've had two new cars in the past three years, one black and one white. I detailed both as soon as I took delivery and I polished them with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and a white LC thin pro pad. I sealed with WG High Gloss Paint Sealant.

So did you use swirl remover because you were coating rather than sealing, or was the finished marred enough that a little more aggressive polish was needed? I'm wondering if I should step up to swirl remover for my next detail?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12