autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post

mike, thanks for putting these articles together.

A lot of great information that is very helpful for someone trying to get into the world of machine polishing but doesn’t know where to start.

A+

Appreciate the compliment.

Just to note, behind the scenes, Jeff Brown from Griot's and I are working on something to share about Griot's tool quality.

We don't need any mis-information on our forum.

Hang tight...

2. Thanks VISITOR thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR, ski2 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

***Bump***

A bump to bring this thread back to the top of the forum homepage for any new members or lurkers on the forum today.

The first page of this thread has TONS of information plus a video plus pictures plus LINKS to even more information. More information than you can ever find on a single post on a FB group.

4. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just stumbled upon this information and I will shamefully admit that I am one of the individuals who has always polished / waxed by hand. I never really thought I would have any use or need for a DA machine. Obviously, nothing could be further from the truth. Really appreciate the wealth of data in these links. I intend to utilize the information recommended here at order the Griot's machine if this one is still deemed worthy for a beginner in addition to being a machine that I'll be able to grow into? Thoughts?
    - Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

1 pad per panel. I didn't know that.
    Dumb me, I've been doing my entire car with 1 pad. Doh.

Now I know. Thank you Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
    I just stumbled upon this information and I will shamefully admit that I am one of the individuals who has always polished / waxed by hand. I never really thought I would have any use or need for a DA machine. Obviously, nothing could be further from the truth. Really appreciate the wealth of data in these links. I intend to utilize the information recommended here at order the Griot's machine if this one is still deemed worthy for a beginner in addition to being a machine that I'll be able to grow into? Thoughts?
    every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one traditional pc-style DA (i've said it many times). you can equip the GG6 with various size DA backing plates and pads to cover just about every part of the vehicle and it has the torque/power to maintain rotation. buy with confidence (best bang for the buck polisher IMO), it's as solid as they come. you can always add another polisher or two later down the road...

8. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I just stumbled upon this information and I will shamefully admit that I am one of the individuals who has always polished / waxed by hand. I never really thought I would have any use or need for a DA machine. Obviously, nothing could be further from the truth.
    Nothing wrong with starting out working by hand - that’s how most of us started out.

Most clearcoat are hard and thus difficult to work on by hand - that’s where a tool like the Griots 6” ROP can make a huge difference between success and failure when it comes to removing swirls and scratches.

Really appreciate the wealth of data in these links. I intend to utilize the information recommended here at order the Griot's machine if this one is still deemed worthy for a beginner in addition to being a machine that I'll be able to grow into?

Thoughts?
    Yes.

The Griots 6” random orbital Polisher with its 8mm free spin orbit stroke is a VERY capable machine.

In fact - you get less Pad stall with 8mm free spin than large stroke free spin due to the fact the pad has less leverage over the reciprocal drive component.

This is the FIRST tool I use to start all my car detailing classes.

10. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for bringing this thread back to the forefront Mike. Compounding and polishing are areas of my detailing skill that I am still not totally comfortable with. I have been using my Porter Cable 7242XP with thick LC foam pads with mixed results. Through some wonderful people that I have met on the forum, and from watching your videos, I am finding out my mistakes and trying to perfect my technique. I seemed to have a lot of heat build up to the point where the backing plate was warped. I switched to a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. I am also using less product and changing pads more frequently and the results are better. I recently purchased Griots GG6 with the vented packing plate and I am looking forward to upping my game even more. The only problem is that Santa confiscated the Autogeek package and I have to wait until after Christmas to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

My Griot's 6" DA from AutoGeek is on the way and will be here on Friday. *w00t!*

So I just need the 5" backing plate and 5" pads, correct?
    - Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

5" vented imo and 5.5 pads

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. Thanks PSYS thanked for this post
    Likes PSYS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Griot's 6" DA from AutoGeek is on the way and will be here on Friday. *w00t!*

So I just need the 5" backing plate and 5" pads, correct?
    Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

Griots Garage 5.5 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

also, consider these as well...

Griots Garage 3 inch HD Backing Plate

Griots Garage 3 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

16. Thanks PSYS thanked for this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast