autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coating

The car looks remarkably better than it did the first time but that’s not what we’re judging here.

We’re to judge on the second video alone being a $1700 Detail and paint correction.

To give a little more detail on what you’re seeing in the second vid compared to the first is that the marring has been removed which has cleared up most of the defects.

It’s a little hard to tell from the vid but it looks like larger defects still remain, not a deal breaker but there are quite a few in that pass of the camera which leads me to assume these aren’t too deep or you’ve driven it through a jungle at some point.

What will be angering most here is the hazing/trails/buffer marks, whatever you want to call them, which have been left behind. If you look at the light in your vid, these are the light streaks travelling vertically away from the source. A little like how street lights streak at night with a wet or dirty windscreen.

These are extremely light scratches/swirls, whatever you want to call them, inflicted by the last polishing stage that was completed. Exactly like sanding, you start coarse which inflicts scratching to level the surface and remove others, those scratches are then levelled and removed by a finer grade paper. Rinse and repeat until you’re nigh on using printer paper to sand and you’ll have a perfectly smooth surface.

What’s happening here is that instead of stepping down the polishing right to a finishing or jeweling stage (super fine), he’s stopped and left evidence.

You’d expect for the money you paid on a Detail which seems to focus on the paint correction, to at the least, finish down to a haze/swirl/trail free surface. Even if larger scratches remain.

The point is that the dude didn’t do this which is what anyone in the business knows is the 99/1% that makes you a professional (skill and experience aside).

In summary, dude went the extra mile to fix his #### but still hasn’t done a $1700 detail with super-deluxe-best-guys-on-the-job paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    The car looks remarkably better than it did the first time but that’s not what we’re judging here.

We’re to judge on the second video alone being a $1700 Detail and paint correction.

To give a little more detail on what you’re seeing in the second vid compared to the first is that the marring has been removed which has cleared up most of the defects.

It’s a little hard to tell from the vid but it looks like larger defects still remain, not a deal breaker but there are quite a few in that pass of the camera which leads me to assume these aren’t too deep or you’ve driven it through a jungle at some point.

What will be angering most here is the hazing/trails/buffer marks, whatever you want to call them, which have been left behind. If you look at the light in your vid, these are the light streaks travelling vertically away from the source. A little like how street lights streak at night with a wet or dirty windscreen.

These are extremely light scratches/swirls, whatever you want to call them, inflicted by the last polishing stage that was completed. Exactly like sanding, you start coarse which inflicts scratching to level the surface and remove others, those scratches are then levelled and removed by a finer grade paper. Rinse and repeat until you’re nigh on using printer paper to sand and you’ll have a perfectly smooth surface.

What’s happening here is that instead of stepping down the polishing right to a finishing or jeweling stage (super fine), he’s stopped and left evidence.

You’d expect for the money you paid on a Detail which seems to focus on the paint correction, to at the least, finish down to a haze/swirl/trail free surface. Even if larger scratches remain.

The point is that the dude didn’t do this which is what anyone in the business knows is the 99/1% that makes you a professional (skill and experience aside).

In summary, dude went the extra mile to fix his #### but still hasn’t done a $1700 detail with super-deluxe-best-guys-on-the-job paint correction.
    I got this swirl free finish in one step on this Chevy truck and it's a hunting truck, it was hammered. Zero swirls left and no hazing etc. That was with Menzerna FG400 and orange pads, Rupes gen 1 15. If that guy was any good he should be able to do that on his vehicle as it was no where near as hammered as this was.

Feel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coating-chevy-jpg
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

When you have gotten the refund from this guy. Go to one of the detailers that has reach out to you here. And they will guide you through the work before and during and after. Since he has polished with something on your car. The detailer you go to need to have a paint thickness gauge (PTG). And get readings on the paint before he starts any polishing work. That is to know if and how much of clearcoat he have polished off. Then I really hope that the readings tells he has not taken off to much of the clearcoat. So the detailer you go with has the ability to correct as much as possible of the scratches. There is almost impossible to say if you can correct the paint to 100% perfection. When you don't know the depth of the deeper defects. And that won't the PTG tell you either. It's when you start to do the test spot and see how aggressive you need to be. And you also take readings after the test spot so you see how much clearcoat got polished off. Just from the videos and pictures you have shared. The swirls would not be any problems with. Even he seems to be corrected some off them. But man what a difference it is on the last video from some correction to none. I think he did not get aggressive enough and be glad for that if so. And if your car has not been heavly compounded before you got it. It would be enough of clearcoat left to make it look awesome. And maybe some deeper scratches left to not get the clearcoat to thin.

Then if you want to share the results with him to just prove a point. Go at it. But I would not do that cause then he will come up with the paint has been filled with something to just look corrected or something else. I would just leave it alone after I have gotten the refund. And let him do what he does or is it not does lol.

I thought first when he took it back. That one off his employee has skipped to do what he was going to do. And that him self got in and looked over the work that would be done the second time. But the technique when air brushed the coating on all over the place. That was a big red flagg. And no pictures on the paint when lighting it up with a swirl light finder after be had corrected it and before the coating was applyied was also something that where strange for this situation. Go into the Show and shine threads here on AGO and look at when they both get lighting on the paint before and after the compounding and when they have done the finishing polish. With most of the polishing done today it's a compounding step and a finishing polish step. And even some remarkable one step polishing too. Look at the pro here Mike Phillips and his pictures from his classes and reviews of polishing products. And you will see how it can be done right.

I really hope that he refund you. And you can move on from this. Then that you don't give up on getting your car detailed. And if you go with one that is a forum member here. He will do the best he can to make the car look as great as possible. And he knows your bad experience and will guide you through his work.

Then read up and ask questions on how to maintain your car properly. So you can have it look awesome for a long time before you need a polishing again that will only need a one step correction to take care of the little swirls you get during that time.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I got this swirl free finish in one step on this Chevy truck and it's a hunting truck, it was hammered. Zero swirls left and no hazing etc. That was with Menzerna FG400 and orange pads, Rupes gen 1 15. If that guy was any good he should be able to do that on his vehicle as it was no where near as hammered as this was.

Feel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coating-chevy-jpg
    I’m sure you did. Well done.

That’s a reflection shot with a filter applied though, nothing I can do with that except say nice photo.

5. Dislikes custmsprty disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever, you know nothing if you weren't there. Filler Smiller.
    No fillers, no swirls, no rookies.

Feel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coating-swirlfree-jpg
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

7. Likes MomNPop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Whatever, you know nothing if you weren't there. Filler Smiller.
    No fillers, no swirls, no rookies.

Feel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coating-swirlfree-jpg
    Looks nice.

I’ve no idea what the paint was like before it.

P.s. I can see some flare there but don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.

9. Dislikes custmsprty, Heisenberg disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donnation View Post
    Final result. I think it looks better and it’s hard to tell with just a light on it. Not thrilled with it but maybe that’s the best i should expect? It’s cloudy out so I can’t see it in sunlight. Should be able to tomorrow. I’m going to contact the member here and get his thoughts on bringing it in to take a look at it. To me I thought it would look better, but maybe my expectations were too high.

YouTube
    I'm confused.

Is that his "full correction"?

Or is he selling a coating over a one step polish procedure?

Does he have a stratified menu?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I'm confused.

Is that his "full correction"?

Or is he selling a coating over a one step polish procedure?

Does he have a stratified menu?
    That’s his full and final correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donnation View Post
    He just responded:

“NOBODY anywhere will ever make your Yukon look better! I will bet any amount on that! Wanna Bet?
    We delivered our best as always. My team worked tirelessly on your GMC, and these boys are the best of the best!! Enough said. I will refund your money. What a Joke!”
    One of the least professional responses I've ever seen from a "legitimate" company.

This reads like a kid with a buffer, microfiber pads, polish dujour and a "coating" is behind the operation.

13. Likes MikeC78, Heisenberg, oneheadlite, MomNPop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bummer. Sorry to see that. We did this hood. 40 miles north of Louisville. Its in the M110 thread... lol. Sorry for that one...

Sad part too is less paint to work with due to improper grinding 2x now. Best of luck to you.

2018 Yukon Denali pics

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

15. Likes Eldorado2k, SWETM, MomNPop liked this post
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast