autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coating

Get your money back. I am not saying this to upset you but that job isn't worth $200 let alone what you paid. One of our forum members is in your area. I am sure he will do a much better job - and that is what you deserve.

Keep us posted and god,luck
    ScottH

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the help here.

One other question. Here is the list of services that was claimed to be done on my vehicle. Is there anything specific I should tell him, or just more of “look at my paint.”

Presidential Treatment:

Gentle hand wash and dry using our “Presidential Detail” techniques to prevent swirls and micro-marring of the paint.
    ❖ Interior Detail Package (Click here to see more information)
    ❖ The Green Interior Clean Treatment (Click here to see more information)
    ❖ Clay treatment to remove embedded contaminants in the paint and on exterior glass surfaces.
    ❖ Full paintwork decontamination process for ultimate paint smoothness.
    ❖ Paintwork receives a multi-point visual inspection at different angles under special lighting conditions and is professionally measured for thickness.
    ❖ 3-4 stage paint correction by machine polishing with Studio A Paint DNA #1,2,3, and 4 to remove all swirls, micro-marring, light-medium scratches, haze, holograms, bird stains, sanding marks, acid rain and tree sap stains, and all but the deepest of scratches (requires wet sand and buff).

❖ Machine application of Studio A Paint DNA Treatment to further enhance color, texture, and gloss, while adding a very durable (multi-layer) treatment of aviation grade paint protection against all Mother Nature has to offer.
    ❖ Under The Hood Detail.
    ❖ Polish exterior brightwork.
    ❖ Polish exhaust tips.
    ❖ Polish and clean inside

Then I also added the ceramic coating. Man I feel stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

I am gonna go against the flow here and put up some arguments you might not have thought of.

First, we don't have pictures of the paint before the detailer worked on the vehicle. So it's very hard to know what level of work and correction was done. You did say he informed you that the deeper stuff could not be removed, so to me that is a red flag that you might have very thin paint on your car, or/and that there was extensive damage on the paint. The video you are showing only show very slight swirl marks that could be on the coating from improper wash after the coating was done. It is not showing major damage anywhere, nor deep swirls. So to me, if the paint was horible to start with, it is clear work was done to correct it. I don't know the level of correction that was discussed but if he did a one step correction on super damaged paint, the result you got is consistent with that. This is like 90% perfect paint from what I can see in the video. Doing 100% correction on thin paint is risky and not safe. So again, before picture/video would be needed to make a correct jugement on this.

Second, the fact you come to a forum instead of talking to the detailer is a second red flag to me. If something was not to your liking, why did you not tell him that when you picked the vehicle up? Those swirl marks are visible. I don't know about you, but when I pay almost 2 grand for something, I do make sure I get what I paid for. So assuming you did not notice, why not contact the detailer on the next day and have him have a look?

I hate when people on forum act as judges when they only have part of the information and one side of the story. It is possible the guy did not do what he was supposed to, but it is also possible he did the best that could be done in this situation. My advice is to go see him and review the situation with him.

As for the price, I know that ceramic pro is super expensive. Especially when they start laying down 3-5 coats of it. So most of the price you pay if that that. One of the reasons I have no interest in the product. It's very time consuming to apply and the product itself is very expensive. As for the correction part, this is a large vehicle, so any kind of correction on it will be expensive too. My guess is the guy probably spent 6 to 10 hours doing a single step correction with sanding of the most extensive defects. The detailer could tell you what he did, but since there are swirls left (and assuming they are on the paint, not on the coating), it's unlikelly he did a 2 step correction.

Anyways, as I said, all we can do is speculate since we don't have all the facts. Not every detail is a 100% paint correction, for many reasons, so again, talking to the detailer will give you the answers, we can't.

5. Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Dislikes custmsprty disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did he supply you with the paint measurements? 3-4 stage paint correction? Wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donnation View Post
    Thank you all for the help here.

One other question. Here is the list of services that was claimed to be done on my vehicle. Is there anything specific I should tell him, or just more of “look at my paint.”

Presidential Treatment:

Gentle hand wash and dry using our “Presidential Detail” techniques to prevent swirls and micro-marring of the paint.
    ❖ Interior Detail Package (Click here to see more information)
    ❖ The Green Interior Clean Treatment (Click here to see more information)
    ❖ Clay treatment to remove embedded contaminants in the paint and on exterior glass surfaces.
    ❖ Full paintwork decontamination process for ultimate paint smoothness.
    ❖ Paintwork receives a multi-point visual inspection at different angles under special lighting conditions and is professionally measured for thickness.
    ❖ 3-4 stage paint correction by machine polishing with Studio A Paint DNA #1,2,3, and 4 to remove all swirls, micro-marring, light-medium scratches, haze, holograms, bird stains, sanding marks, acid rain and tree sap stains, and all but the deepest of scratches (requires wet sand and buff).

❖ Machine application of Studio A Paint DNA Treatment to further enhance color, texture, and gloss, while adding a very durable (multi-layer) treatment of aviation grade paint protection against all Mother Nature has to offer.
    ❖ Under The Hood Detail.
    ❖ Polish exterior brightwork.
    ❖ Polish exhaust tips.
    ❖ Polish and clean inside

Then I also added the ceramic coating. Man I feel stupid.
    Now we are getting more info.

From that list, I can tell you that this detailer looks like someone who knows what he is doing.

A part of the price you paid was for a complete interior detail, probably about 250-450$ worth of work on a vehicle that size. Also the guy does 3-4 stage correction, that means that unless the paint is super thin, it should come perfect. Which leads me to believe the swirls are on the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    Did he supply you with the paint measurements? 3-4 stage paint correction? Wow.
    4 step can be anything. If the paint is super thin it could be 3000 grit sanding, heavy cut compound, medium cut compound and then finishing polish. On thick paint it could be 1500 grit sanding, 2500 grit sanding, heavy cut compound and finishing polish... All that means is that he does 3 or 4 steps depending on the need and paint.

Again, from what the OP said in his initial post, the detailer told him the deeper scratches would not be removed, so that point to either super deep scratches and/or very thin paint.

9. Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I am gonna go against the flow here and put up some arguments you might not have thought of.

First, we don't have pictures of the paint before the detailer worked on the vehicle. So it's very hard to know what level of work and correction was done. You did say he informed you that the deeper stuff could not be removed, so to me that is a red flag that you might have very thin paint on your car, or/and that there was extensive damage on the paint. The video you are showing only show very slight swirl marks that could be on the coating from improper wash after the coating was done. It is not showing major damage anywhere, nor deep swirls. So to me, if the paint was horible to start with, it is clear work was done to correct it. I don't know the level of correction that was discussed but if he did a one step correction on super damaged paint, the result you got is consistent with that. This is like 90% perfect paint from what I can see in the video. Doing 100% correction on thin paint is risky and not safe. So again, before picture/video would be needed to make a correct jugement on this.

Second, the fact you come to a forum instead of talking to the detailer is a second red flag to me. If something was not to your liking, why did you not tell him that when you picked the vehicle up? Those swirl marks are visible. I don't know about you, but when I pay almost 2 grand for something, I do make sure I get what I paid for. So assuming you did not notice, why not contact the detailer on the next day and have him have a look?

I hate when people on forum act as judges when they only have part of the information and one side of the story. It is possible the guy did not do what he was supposed to, but it is also possible he did the best that could be done in this situation. My advice is to go see him and review the situation with him.

As for the price, I know that ceramic pro is super expensive. Especially when they start laying down 3-5 coats of it. So most of the price you pay if that that. One of the reasons I have no interest in the product. It's very time consuming to apply and the product itself is very expensive. As for the correction part, this is a large vehicle, so any kind of correction on it will be expensive too. My guess is the guy probably spent 6 to 10 hours doing a single step correction with sanding of the most extensive defects. The detailer could tell you what he did, but since there are swirls left (and assuming they are on the paint, not on the coating), it's unlikelly he did a 2 step correction.

Anyways, as I said, all we can do is speculate since we don't have all the facts. Not every detail is a 100% paint correction, for many reasons, so again, talking to the detailer will give you the answers, we can't.
    To a few of your points.

1. I didn’t pick up the vehicle, my wife did and she had no idea to even look for any issues. Secondly, I contacted the detailer the same day as soon as I got home and viewed the vehicle. It hasn’t been washed or touched by me as he said to keep it in my garage for two weeks to let the coating fully cure.

2. The paint looks like it did before I took it in. As I originally said, there were only swirl marks and no deep scratches. He told me over the phone and when I dropped it off that they would be removed and that only scratches you could physically feel would be left. He even said in that picture he sent me “Not a swirl.” That’s BS as it has the same amount of swirl marks as when i took it in.

I only got the single coat of ceramic pro. The light version.

11. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

4 step can be anything. If the paint is super thin it could be 3000 grit sanding, heavy cut compound, medium cut compound and then finishing polish. On thick paint it could be 1500 grit sanding, 2500 grit sanding, heavy cut compound and finishing polish... All that means is that he does 3 or 4 steps depending on the need and paint.

Again, from what the OP said in his initial post, the detailer told him the deeper scratches would not be removed, so that point to either super deep scratches and/or very thin paint.
    Let's not carried away quite yet. Anyone can copy and past these days, that doesn't mean make him a bonafide detailer.

Furthermore, to charge a customer $1700 and leave those swirls on the paint without consulting with the customer? Give me a break. Lets get real for a moment... unless that newer SUV was totally repainted, we all know factory GM usually has hard clear with plenty left over from the factory for correction. At least this has been my experience. Leaving those swirls that are in that video for $1700 is complete hack work. You know dang well, that a light polish usually fixes those. Keyword: Usually. Like I said, the guy said he supplies paint thickness readings. Where are they?

13. Likes dlc95, custmsprty, MomNPop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now we are getting more info.

From that list, I can tell you that this detailer looks like someone who knows what he is doing.

A part of the price you paid was for a complete interior detail, probably about 250-450$ worth of work on a vehicle that size. Also the guy does 3-4 stage correction, that means that unless the paint is super thin, it should come perfect. Which leads me to believe the swirls are on the coating.
    The problem here is that he did no interior detail. I asked him about this and he said that due to the size of my vehicle he did not include the interior clean as it would have been several hundred more. When i looked inside it i could tell it was just as dirty as before when i dropped it off. I told him I was never told that and he said he would take care of the interior when I brought it back in. Honestly I wasn’t at all concerned with the interior but it is listed as part of the treatment i was supposed to get.

Post Thanks / Like

When he was talking about deep scratches, he was saying this in general over the phone. When I brought it in he said he would be removing all the surface swirls as there weren’t any deep scratches that couldn’t be fixed.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast