autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to make another investment (polisher)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    I still love the trigger grip on the boss
    Wish the progressive trigger was actually good like how the forced DA triggers are.

I may send you an S SERIES CUTFORCE TO review
    I really like progressive triggers, even if 'marginally' functional. Just so much easier when transitioning from initial spread of liquids to full speed without fumbling with speed dials and such.

I'm only marginally coordintaed so it usually involves a stopping...and that's a lot of stop and go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    I'll PM you, you'll save $$$ too
    Please do not send PM's to our forum members for private sales. This is not allowed on the Autogeek Online Forum.

Car Buffers, Car Polishers, Rotary Polishers, polishing foam pads, buffing pads, wool pad, Porter Cable 7424, Makita, DeWalt, Cyclo buffer, bonnet,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowracer21 View Post
    While I love the 3401, I have some $$ burning a hole in my pocket. I really enjoyed learning a new machine when I purchased the 3401, and now I want to add another polisher to my arsenal.

I really like the Rupes line of products. The design and overall look of their products really does it for me. Would a Rupes BF LHR21 be a great addition? Or should I go with the Flex XFE7-15? Or a rotary? My only hesitation with the Rupes is having to buy all the Rupes pads and polishes as well.
    Jump over to the Rupes Forum and read through my Mille comparison/review. I own a 3401 and made the plunge into the new Mille and yes, unfortunately a completely new set of pads, but I am 100% pleased thus far and glad I added it to my cabinet. I use it more than the 3401 now by far.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their favorite so I might as well toss my hat into the ring, Rupes 15. MKII. You don’t have to use Rupes pads and polishes but if you don’t at least buy the yellow pad you are missing out. Go with the 15 over the 21 because it’s more maneuverable.

The one machine I would truly be lost without is the Rupes lhr75 or mini. For bumpers, mirror housings, or any tight spot the mini powers through it. On this I would buy mostly Rupes pads as they are 4 inch with a 3 inch back. I would also pick up some Meguires Cutting Pads to go with it.

6. Likes dlc95, BudgetPlan1, SWETM, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did 2 severely oxidized cars this summer. The rotary with wool is what worked after trying the DA initially. A rotary seems like a necessity. For me anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Have you pondered the GG BOSS machines? While I really like my Rupes 15 Mk2, the BOSS 21 I have is a very nice and in some ways preferable (to me) machine.

What I like more about the BOSS:
    - Progressive speed trigger
    - Ergonomics; it's slightly 'rounder' body seems to fit hands better than somewhat square-ish Rupes. I seem to encounter a bit less stalling when not paying attention due to angle of handle, dunno why. Rupes longer handle kind bends down while BOSS shorter and more neutral or bends a bit 'up
    When working big flat panels, the BOSS 21 just eats things up quickly and far less taxing than Flex 3401 w/ Force Pads.
    not to mention with the BOSS G21/15 they (to name a few points/features) both have the gusseted cords (prevent cord issues), quick access brush side ports (don't have to take apart the polisher to change brushes), pistol grip style handle (comfortable ergonomics) and premium NSK bearings in which most long throw polishers do not have any/most of these features which IMO makes a difference and also the lifetime warranty which is icing on the cake. also, GG responsive customer service that actually answers/responds to their phones/e-mails and values their customers...

9. Likes BudgetPlan1, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Now, to reply to individual posts:

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    If you're doing detailing for profit , definitely get a rotary. It will save you a lot of time doing corrections. Both polishers have their place .
    Can you (or someone else) enlighten me on how a rotary is quicker than say, the Flex 3401? For instance, say I take a heavily swirled car with harder paint.

I'll use my Flex 3401 w/ a LC Force Hybrid Grey (heavy cut), and Wolfgang Uber Compound 3.0.

I run the 3401 at speeds of 5.5-6, in a 16"x16" section.

Some quick, simplified math:

1-2" per second
    4 passes for each section (overlapping a bit as I have a 5.5" pad)
    6 section passes

Let's say it takes roughly 30 seconds for each "section pass" (that's moving around 1" per second)
    6 section passes should take roughly 3 minutes or so?

How much quicker could you complete a 16"x16" section using a rotary?

I've used a rotary a few times, and also have a friend who could teach me...plus I'd do a lot of self-teaching via the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    I cannot comment on a rotary.

I can comment on the Rupes system:

The system as a whole is great to learn. But sooner or later I quickly realize it’s ok to use other liquid and pad combination such as:

Meguiar’s Microfiber Cutting Disc + Jescars Correcting Compound

Rupes Yellow Pad + Sonax Perfect Finish

These are only a couple of examples...and they are what I prefer most of the time.

On the other hand, I could also comment on the Flex Finisher. It’s a very capable machine indeed. Though I reach for the Rupes most of the time, I have to say that the Flex Finisher is a smooth machine for sure. Plus the Ergonomics are great on the machine as well—very easy to handle.

If I can do it all over again with the Rupes (soon hopefully) I will opt for the 15 next time. I miss my 15 big time.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Say a customer's paint was in relatively decent shape, and you planned to do just a one step All-in-One (Blackfire AIO, or something similar), would you reach for a 3401, or the Rupes DA?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Oh one more thing that I should have asked first is:

What is your primary goals with your business?

Show Car Detailing or Production Detailing

I fall into Production Detailing as a mobile detailer and never found myself looking at a rotary.

Primary goals: Production detailing. Well, let me clarify...this is a side gig, so I'm not going to be turning out 10 cars a week or something... I tend to detail 2-4 cars per month (when I have days off from my day job).

For example, the past three cars I detailed were a '16 Camaro RS, a '12 Mazdaspeed 3, and a 2010 Chevy 2500. Most of my clients wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 100% paint correction, and 50% paint correction. I honestly could hit their cars with an AIO and they'd be happier than a pig in ####.

My problem is, I hate settling for just adequate. For example: my buddy with the Camaro, he simply wanted it to "look good"... I could have just hit it with an AIO, but instead I busted out the M105/205 and spent hours just on the hood, making it look perfect. I was happy, but at the end of the day, I wasted a lot of time and effort for my own satisfaction I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    You're not married to the Rupes pads or polishes, but if you can figure out how to use them, you'll be set.

If you wanted to try their entire line, start with the blue and yellow foam pad / polish combinations, maybe the green medium cut. Do NOT install a washer of you decide to got that route. It will render the blue and green combos absolutely useless.

They do work well, and create incredible finishes, some of the best I've been able to deliver, but there is a learning curve.

A lot of people still like the rotary for compounding. It can be faster, but the trade off is guantareed holograms (which can usually be removed with a PC and the right pad/polish), and depending on the compound a lot of dusting and possible product sling. 3D seems to have a very nice set of liquids set up for rotary (3D One, ACA 500, ACA 520). I still like using them on occasion, but usually when there's a lot of oxidation on large surfaces.

Lighter, and smaller rotaries also lend themselves to surgical polishing with smaller pads. Ths can also be a +.
    I'm a fan of M105/205 on some cars... would it make sense to hit a car first with M105 using my Flex 3401 and a heavy cutting pad, and then transitioning to a Rupes LHR21 Mark2 and finishing with M205? Would the Rupes + their polishing pads be a noticeable difference over what I could produce using the 3401?

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Have you pondered the GG BOSS machines? While I really like my Rupes 15 Mk2, the BOSS 21 I have is a very nice and in some ways preferable (to me) machine.

What I like more about the BOSS:
    - Progressive speed trigger
    - Ergonomics; it's slightly 'rounder' body seems to fit hands better than somewhat square-ish Rupes. I seem to encounter a bit less stalling when not paying attention due to angle of handle, dunno why. Rupes longer handle kind bends down while BOSS shorter and more neutral or bends a bit 'up'

Rupes is a tad smoother and quieter though and has a more pleasingly 'monolithic' feel to it. The BOSS feels more 'assembled' if that makes sense.

Rupes 15 & BOSS 21:
    Attachment 65153

As far as Rupes 'system', started with that but ended up only keeping white & yellow polishes and pads. The Rupes 15 with billet backing plate and yellow pad is an absolute joy to work with, especially with Sonax Perfect Finish if that liquid is working well. Also the Megs microfiber cutting discs with Jescar Compound or Megs D300 is quite a pleaseure as well.

When working big flat panels, the BOSS 21 just eats things up quickly and far less taxing than Flex 3401 w/ Force Pads. Have also found that I don't really like the BOSS 21 w/ the 5" plate...seems to decrease overall smoothness considerably.
    The Rupes LHR21 appears to be roughly $50 more than the GG BOSS21... The thing is, and this may sound incredibly stupid, with both machines north of $400 (after taxes), if I'm spending that coin, I want something that really catches my eye. The fit & finish of the Rupes products are second to none. I also like the fact that they are built in Italy, rather than China. Yes, the BOSS21 may be just as good, and have a better warranty..but I just have a thing for the Rupes machines.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Jump over to the Rupes Forum and read through my Mille comparison/review. I own a 3401 and made the plunge into the new Mille and yes, unfortunately a completely new set of pads, but I am 100% pleased thus far and glad I added it to my cabinet. I use it more than the 3401 now by far.
    Will do! However, if I already have a forced rotation (Flex 3401), is there a point to purchase another forced rotation machine?

11. Likes BudgetPlan1, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will do! However, if I already have a forced rotation (Flex 3401), is there a point to purchase another forced rotation machine?
    Everyone has their opinions. Mine is that I will never go back to a non-forced unit. I wouldn't tollerate even the slightest stall or slow down in my work and in terms of finishing out, I don't buy that long throws or others finish better. I say that based on my own work and experience with pure black cars. If others can do better with a standard DA I'd say they are splitting the finest of hairs.

Example

Example
    Example
    Example

That's just me though. The Mille does spin faster and in my experience offers faster correction than the 3401.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to AIO jobs or in event times One-Step Polishing I have been using Rupes all the way.

I recently did a job with my Flex Finisher with LC ThinPro pads. While it was great, I still reach for the Rupes by far more.

Based on the little experience that I had with a 3401, it proved itself as an amazing machine for AIO jobs paired with the right pad; since these are the jobs that I don’t have all day with—meaning 3401 won’t stall.

HOWEVER, I am still convinced at the end of the day, I ultimately love my Rupes. Simply because I practiced on having my technique down and also the fact that I do enjoy the finesse of using a Rupes over a Flex.

I hope that made sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been detailing as a hobby for quite a few years, and just recently began detailing for-profit.

I started with the older model PC7424, I believe it was marketed as a sander? A few months ago I picked up a Flex XC3401, which I paired with some LC Force Hybrid pads. This tool has greatly increased my efficiency as compared to the PC!

While I love the 3401, I have some $$ burning a hole in my pocket. I really enjoyed learning a new machine when I purchased the 3401, and now I want to add another polisher to my arsenal.

I really like the Rupes line of products. The design and overall look of their products really does it for me. Would a Rupes BF LHR21 be a great addition? Or should I go with the Flex XFE7-15? Or a rotary? My only hesitation with the Rupes is having to buy all the Rupes pads and polishes as well.

I was thinking of turning my PC into a 3” machine, or should I buy a dedicated 3” machine?

Looking forward to your suggestions/opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bought a couple of the new Maxshine15 for my shop and love them.

168.00 with free shipping.

Prefer it over the Rupes

Solid unit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast