autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Easy to apply coating (non ceramic?)

So im thinking of trying out a coating on one of our newer cars. I kind of want to stay away from a ceramic coating as im afraid of doing it wrong or messing it up. Ive seen a ton of new coatings coming out recently and turn to the experts here for some suggestions?

I plan on leaving the car in the garage while i do this:

Polish prep on every panel im going to apply it to as well, i was told the polish prep can be done instead of the iso-alcohol wipe down?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easy to apply coating (non ceramic?)

So i think ive narrowed down my selection:

1) Gyeon Q2 Primer - apply with a microfiber finishing pad
    2) Gyeon Q2M Prep Spray - apply to panel with new microfiber towels after primer polish
    3) Gyeon Q2 CanCoat

Seems fairly straight forward and sticking with Gyeon products should make application smoother?

3. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post

1) Gyeon Q2 Primer - apply with a
    microfiber finishing pad
    2) Gyeon Q2M Prep Spray - apply to
    panel with new microfiber towels after
    primer polish
    3) Gyeon Q2 CanCoat

Seems fairly straight forward and sticking
    with Gyeon products should make appli-
    cation smoother?
    I agree; Full Speed Ahead!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestions on microfibers? I figure ill get some new ones for this?

Maybe 2 packs of those?
    Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth

The primer says you need to wait 24hours if you dont do an IPA wipe down. Is the Q2M Prep Spray similar to an IPA wipe down allowing me to knock it out right after the Primer polish? or should i still wait 24hours?

Post Thanks / Like

So im thinking of trying out a coating on one of our newer cars. I kind of want to stay away from a ceramic coating as im afraid of doing it wrong or messing it up. Ive seen a ton of new coatings coming out recently and turn to the experts here for some suggestions?

I plan on leaving the car in the garage while i do this:

Polish prep on every panel im going to apply it to as well, i was told the polish prep can be done instead of the iso-alcohol wipe down?
    I wouldn't worry about ease of application. The newer products are all pretty easy to use. Cquartz 3.0 is super easy as are the GYEON coatings. Can coat is a shorter term but excellent product. Not as easy to use in some cases though as it flashes super quick and you can still end up with high spots just as easily. It's faster to apply but in terms of ease of use, meh....I would argue that point. MOHS is super easy and I find difficult to leave high spots with. The second layer of it is super easy.

IMO for the first-timer - Cquartz UK 3.0
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

1) Gyeon Q2 Primer - apply with a microfiber finishing pad
    2) Gyeon Q2M Prep Spray - apply to panel with new microfiber towels after primer polish
    3) Gyeon Q2 CanCoat

Seems fairly straight forward and sticking with Gyeon products should make application smoother?
    First off don't be afraid to try a coating. In the end they are not that hard to apply.

This is actually a good combination of products. Gyeon Primer and CanCoat is what I used and it exceeded the longevity claims for me. It has been on the paint 13 months now. Sure it lost some of it's tight hydrophobic properties but it is still hanging in. Keep in mind that the environment it is exposed to and how it is cared for plays a factor. Pair it with Cure and use that every couple months and you will be fine.

I would also recommend using a microfiber applicator block instead of a towel. You will need a few of them. It allows for more even coverage compared to applying it with a towel.

Any suggestions on microfibers? I figure ill get some new ones for this?

Maybe 2 packs of those?
    Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth

The primer says you need to wait 24hours if you dont do an IPA wipe down. Is the Q2M Prep Spray similar to an IPA wipe down allowing me to knock it out right after the Primer polish? or should i still wait 24hours?
    I have not used these microfibers but they look like they would work. If you decide to get these then pick up more than two. The towels I use are the edgeless 300 from the rag company.

As for the primer if you don't have time to wait the 24 hours then you can prep wipe it sooner. I recall the minimum time is 1 hour for wiping the primer polish right away. I still prep wiped after 24 hours but that was to remove any light dust and to make sure that all the polishing residue was removed.

The next easiest coating to use would be Optimum Gloss Coat. For me it was underwhelming. It is not the most durable but one of the easiest to apply.

Cquartz QUK 3.0 is much easier to use than it's predecessor. Cquartz Classic aka TiO2 is a a tad easier to use. These are both proving to be solid performers so far.

Gyeon Mohs is easy but requires multiple layers and it is not as hydrophobic as some of these other coatings. It does work well with Skin as part of the Syncro kit. At this moment I am not sure if it is worth the cost based on the performance I am seeing as it gets closer to a year.

GTechniq Crystal Serum Light is another one that easy to use. Only 1 layer required and like Mohs it is not the most hydrophobic compared to others. Some top it with Exo to get that hydrophobic performance. Exo just needs a little more due diligence upon removal/leveling. I have CSL + Exo on my car that is in the garage most of the time but it does look great.

Post Thanks / Like

I will pick up some microfiber blocks to apply the coating can.

I can use the prep spray to do a wipe down about 1 hours after removing the primer, would like to knock out the car in 1 day but if i need to wait 24hours so be it....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will pick up some microfiber blocks to apply the coating can.

I can use the prep spray to do a wipe down about 1 hours after removing the primer, would like to knock out the car in 1 day but if i need to wait 24hours so be it....
    I haven't used Cancoat, but have used CQuartz Ti and Gyeon Synchro. The Synchro is better when done, but I feel like it was a lot more work having 3 coats vs the 1 I did for the CQuartz.

I wanted to mention Cancoat is not a traditional Ceramic Coating, however it is a ceramic coating as I understand it, it just isn't as long lasting as others.

Post Thanks / Like

Already 3 days later and ive successfully in my eye applied cancoat!

Luckily the gf was out of town so i was able to leave my car in the garage and do all the work in steps.

1) After washing and speedtowel preping the car i air dried it
    2) Did a quick wipe down of all the panels with AeroProducts waterless wash
    3) Used Gyeon Primer on every panel as directed. Slow speed to get the product on, medium speed after, then wiped off. Neat product no dusting very little product used.
    4) I let the car sit for 24hours even though I was going to wipe it down with prep (im going to do my friends car this weekend, and will immediately follow up primer with prep wipe down).
    5) Wipe down each panel i was going to apply CanCoat to with Gyeon Prep spray (are we sure its just not alcohol and distilled water haha)
    6) Applied CanCoat by using a microfiber block (Thank you for the suggestions on that, it indeed was much easier to apply in straight even lines and prevent overlapping).
    7) Doing one panel at a time i then removed the product until gloss, did the same on the outside sections of the rims.

Overall im sad ive didnt do this earlier, if the car remains this glossy even for a couple months, and provides a simpler wash routine I will be super happy.
    Total spendings was $117 for:
    1) 10 pack The rage store microfibers
    2) 10 pack microfiber foam blocks
    3) Small bottle of primer
    4) Small bottle of prep
    5) 1 bottle of CanCoat

I used about 25% of all the product except the primer that will last a while. Seems like you can do 4 cars or 4 coats with 1 Can, not bad!

The car has been curing for about 12hours. How long till I can drive it?

11. Likes SWETM, WristyManchego liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The back of the label states it needs 24 hours to cure but you can drive it sooner if you need to.

You can top it with Cure as a precaution to protect it if for some reason it gets wet by rain.