autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forced Rotation VS Free Spinning...

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    I'm just looking for something that works for what I want it to do,,short throw ,long throw I don't care,,I have a 21 mm long throw machine but I haven't found the right pad/product combo for it yet.(or perfected my technique)

I am getting a lot better with my machine and I actually think it's powerful enough as I am figuring it out,,in fact I am just not sure if I want the Makita P5000 now because the appeal to me was 2 modes but if the complaint is it's under powered I may as well go with a Flex and have a premium Forced Rotation machine,,or maybe cash in all my chips for the UDOS seeing I have 3 rotarys and a 21mm machine already
    I wouldnt say the PO5000C is underpowered, 780 rpm in forced mode, and feels seriuosly powerful.
    The problem is folks say it stalls in free spin DA mode. Not sure why it does, may be its the 5.5 mm throw .

All I can say is due to a mistake Amazon sent me two. One spun on level 1 and 2 and was nice and quiet (I kept that one) , and the other needed level 4 or 5 to spin even in free air! )
    Maybe its a matter of how much grease is in the gearing who knows.

Anyway ai got what I got , and at 2/3 the price of the 3401 and good service backup ... Ill just live with it as forced rotation mc .
    Maybe finishing off with free spin might jewel it some ... to be discovered!

Makita UK Customer Services are trying to source me 5” pad for my P6000C 6” er. That would be nice, as I discovered my 3M pads only cover this backing plate by 2mm either side
    Oh well you live and learn as a newbie.

Post Thanks / Like

Its the 5.5mm orbital throw. It creates less centripetal force that results in a less powerful free spin. Contrary to a 21mm orbital throw that creates a lot of centripetal force and therefore a more powerful free spin.

3. Thanks Submariner thanked for this post
    Likes Submariner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    You called people "babies". That obviously insults their technique and experience (because well, babies can't be experienced in anything other than possibly filling their diapers, right?) AND their person as a whole on top of that (because well, that's the primary reason someone calls others babies, right?).

So, then what's the problem with others writing about being totally satisfied with what THEY get from THEIR tools?

I didn't see that happening here. In my read the only thing other people were saying was that they just do manage to do well even with free spinning DAs - and if they don't, then that's because THEIR technique is bad, and because THEY were lazy to switch back to a smaller pad. Actually, I was the only one who referred not to self, but to others (as "person"s) when I said similar things, but even I didn't address my reply to you, and didn't mention you or something. And even I said that besides the lack of skills there is another reason why one's free spinning pads would stall: using a too large pad. Which mostly turns out to be too large only when it stalls.

By calling people babies you definitely made it clear that you consider your opinion as the only valid and rooting in experience here.

There's nothing to get over, because nobody questioned your decision of not using long throw or free spinning DAs as your personal preference. The only thing debated was such tools' ability to do their job in the proper and willing hands. And btw the topic and the discussion is about free spins, not long throws, which are orthogonal features of polishers. You seem to use them interchangeably though.

Right. Because even if you were right about others throwing insults at you (which I do not think was happening, by any means, but let's assume you're right at least about that), then two wrongs make a right, right?

Anyway. Just to sum it up and make it clear: I personally for hell sure didn't, and in my read others didn't either question your personal preference over what tool you're using. The only thing pointed out was that they (me inclusive) just manage to do proper work with free spinning DAs as well, which however might require using a different approach ("technique") and changing pad sizes.
    This game was fun 3 days ago but has since lost its luster. Thanks for playing though. lol. You may be too new for the other posts I was refering to when someone claims the Flex to be superior, and tears coming out and fits being thrown. That is why I "got defensive". Its always turned into a bash fest on the superiority of the long throw and any other opinion is wrong. There are only a few of us who think the Flex is better.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

5. Dislikes itsgn disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    This game was fun 3 days ago but has since lost its luster. Thanks for playing though. lol. You may be too new for the other posts I was refering to when someone claims the Flex to be superior, and tears coming out and fits being thrown. That is why I "got defensive". Its always turned into a bash fest on the superiority of the long throw and any other opinion is wrong. There are only a few of us who think the Flex is better.
    Is there any way we can stop this thread?

At least the kindergarten sniping element of it?

This is doing no one any good.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes Dr Oldz, sudsmobile liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Its the 5.5mm orbital throw. It creates less centripetal force that results in a less powerful free spin. Contrary to a 21mm orbital throw that creates a lot of centripetal force and therefore a more powerful free spin.
    Appreciate the scientific analysis of the issue.

The question is, will the 6” PO6000C be worse at stalling than the 5” PO5000C.

Two possibilities
    A) the 6” will create more rotation due to its size.
    Or
    B) the centripetal force is limited by the gearing, and the larger pad size will only act as a better brake on the spinning effect.
    Sadly my bet is on B).
    But then the 6” is made in Japan so closer to R&D ?? I.e. to address issues in pre production e.g. change a counterweight or something .

9. Thanks BadgerRivFan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Is there any way we can stop this thread?

At least the kindergarten sniping element of it?

This is doing no one any good.
    I hope not. As I Actually I learnt why my machine doesnt free spin so well ... and that was useful.

Shame about the unpleasantness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Yep, it’s physics. Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    Appreciate the scientific analysis of the issue.

The question is, will the 6” PO6000C be worse at stalling than the 5” PO5000C.

Two possibilities
    A) the 6” will create more rotation due to its size.
    Or
    B) the centripetal force is limited by the gearing, and the larger pad size will only act as a better brake on the spinning effect.
    Sadly my bet is on B).
    But then the 6” is made in Japan so closer to R&D ?? I.e. to address issues in pre production e.g. change a counterweight or something .

If the orbital throw of the 2 machines are both 5mm then the smaller diameter backing plate should spin easier. I'm not sure what the orbital throw is of the 2 machines. The gearing should not be engaged when it is in free-spin mode. Don't forget that that tool was designed to be a sander.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the Flex 3401 and a few free spinning units.

A couple of years ago I hurt my elbow and was unable to use the Flex.

Fast farward...

I'm now back using my Flex, so much faster corrections.

I still use my large throw units for some polishing and often use it for the roofs.

Time is money if your in the business

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

14. Likes sudsmobile liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345