autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    stupid question maybe, but did i understand that you need to use 2 different pads? A cutting pad for correction, then a polishing pad to polish? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of 1 step? What LC pads for my pc would be recommended to be used for this? Orange, white, neither?
    I was sort of thinking the same thing. I'd like to be able to use one product with one pad and be done.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcg703 View Post
    I was sort of thinking the same thing. I'd like to be able to use one product with one pad and be done.
    As Mike mentioned if the paint is hard one pad will cut and finish. If the paint is soft a polishing pad will one step again to cut and finish.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post

stupid question maybe, but did i understand that you need to use 2 different pads? A cutting pad for correction, then a polishing pad to polish?

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of 1 step?
    This makes it a ONE LIQIUD product.

And "yes" it can be a ONE STEP product but it depends on the paint and your expectations. On most paints, you could use a cutting pad or polishing pad and do one correction/polishing step and the seal the paint.

The way you find out is call doing a..................... TEST SPOT.

And the way you know if you want to do more than one step is what you expectations are for the end results.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post

I didn't mean to misquote and note YOU said it was diminishing. I took what I said from what I read within the description of the product at the AutoGeek Store and in my mind I associate (wrongly perhaps) what is written up there with you as you are to me the face of AutoGeek.
    Completely understand where you're coming from, I didn't take what you wrote to mean anything, I just wanted to clear up that I personally never said the product used DAT or SMAT, I merely shared what the manufacture stated.

I also don't always read what our staff writes that creates and maintains our websites, just not enough time in the day. Being accurate is very important but if our staff has it wrong on the website we will find out and correct it. This would also be an honest and simple mistake, nothing would be done with wrongful intent.

As a veteran of the Zaino vs NXT Wax Wars - I pick and choose each and every word I type specifically and intentionally - I rarely make a word mistake. Mostly because I know there are a handful of people that are always gunning for me so I do what I can to never give them ammunition.

I don't like the way this sounds so please take no accusations or ill-intent with my words here.
    None taken now, nor none previously.

Mistakes happen and I'm sure there's no malice within them but I'm still looking for full clarification as to what type of abrasives are in the product.
    It's a little after 1:00pm Eastern Time and my first day back in the office after travelling back from the Roadshow Class at RUPES in Colorado and so far all I've done is play catch-up on the forum and in e-mail. I have tons of other things that MUST be done for multiple upcoming projects. BUT I will call Don and possibly Tunch to get the skinny on the abrasive particles.

I do remember that Tunch said that because these are CERAMIC abrasive particles they don't create heat like other forms of abrasive technology. That's a game changer in our world.

Here's what I based my point and honestly, my purchase of the product on. It clearly notes "3D One contains diminishing abrasives that will correct more serious damage before breaking down and removing the minor marring caused with the major correction. "

Now I'm torn, but the end result will be if the product does what I'm looking for.

After I hit the [Post Reply] button I'll make the call and get back to you as is the norm for Autogeek, customer care is number one and while most people think customer care is something that takes place when you call or e-mail our customer care staff it's also something taking place pretty much anytime I type on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rcg703 View Post

I was sort of thinking the same thing.

I'd like to be able to use one product with one pad and be done.

You can, but you need to do a test spot first and then inspect the results and go from there.

Here's the deal guys and I wrote this previously,

PAINT is an unknown variable. The paint on a 2015 Honda can be different than the paint on a 2016 Honda. The paint on a 2018 Honda can be different than the paint on a 2017 Ford F150.

The chemist that make all the really cool products we use cannot control this unknown variable. This is where you come into the equation and after learning the art and craft of polishing paint - you know (or should know) to do a Test Spot and then inspect the results and go from there.

If your test spot looks great by doing a single step then do a single step. If the results from your test spots shows deeper defects still remain - IF THE CAR IS A DAILY DRIVER you may be wise to learn to live with them instead of working them 100% out because the factory paint on a new car is THINNER than a Post-it Note.

Of maybe by doing another test and changing to a more aggressive buffing pad you may find you can remove 99.9% of the defects and still leave a customer pleasing finish in ONE STEP.

But you won't know anything until you do some testing or as I say, until you do a Test Spot.

Make sense?

Now I'll make the phone call.

4. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U, dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

***Update***

I just spoke with Don Williams at 3D and he CONFIRMED that ALL the abrasive technology used in ALL 3D products is NON-diminishing.

I asked in Tunch was around and he said, 'no he's travelling today, but he will be in the office tomorrow'

So even though I completely trust Don't confirmation, I will call Tunch tomorrow because I LOVE talking to the chemist who make the product and I personally have a LOT of time into not only detailing the old 2-door Ford in this write-up but in typing out in-depth replies to do my best to provide top notch customer care or customer service on this forum.

I will now contact our webmaster and let them know to make the change to the copy for the store page to make sure it's accurate.

I will also apologize ahead of time for the wording mistake. I'm confident it was not intentional.

Anyone that feels they make a purchase they now regret can contact our sales customer care staff and cite this thread, this post and I'm also 100% confident that as is the norm for Autogeek, we will provide the best in customer care and make things right with you.

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Dr Oldz, PaulMys, dlc95, Celabe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well i ordered some. mostly because i was going to order some speed anyhow and see if I like that better than my current aio which is mk360. It probably wont be until next spring that I try it, but my current process involves test spots and using menzerna 400 and 3500 and yellow, orange and white pads. I guess the benefit of this product would be just changing pads and using the same liquid... which is indeed nice. Most of my family fleet is in excellent shape so I will see how this compares using a white lc pad vs 3500/white pad which has never let me down yet.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing PolishReview: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing PolishReview: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

10. Likes Dr Oldz, fly07sti, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just did a little test spot on soft black paint. Was mainly looking for finishing ability. ONE did not finish anywhere near as good as S20 Black or Sonax Perfect Finish with a Rupes yellow pad. There was a noticeable haze under scangrip. It was very nice to work with. I didn't notice any dusting with the Rupes Yellow Pad and it wiped off very easily(big plus). I need to spend a whole lot more time with it, but on medium to hard paint, it should do quite well. Next, I'm going to test the cut versus Sonax Perfect Finish on harder paint.
    '03 Corvette Z06

12. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Just did a little test spot on soft black paint. Was mainly looking for finishing ability. ONE did not finish anywhere near as good as S20 Black or Sonax Perfect Finish with a Rupes yellow pad. There was a noticeable haze under scangrip. It was very nice to work with. I didn't notice any dusting with the Rupes Yellow Pad and it wiped off very easily(big plus). I need to spend a whole lot more time with it, but on medium to hard paint, it should do quite well. Next, I'm going to test the cut versus Sonax Perfect Finish on harder paint.
    Mark, I would think if you were looking to see how it finishes, that a Rupes white pad should be used. The yellow have some cut to them. Don't forget that this polish/compound is a different breed of abrasives. If I were testing it for finishing, I would use soft foam with no cut. I think comparing it to what other polishes did with that pad is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Not trying to bust you buddy..... but just giving my view and thought of how I would approach it.
    Jim

14. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Mark, I would think if you were looking to see how it finishes, that a Rupes white pad should be used. The yellow have some cut to them. Don't forget that this polish/compound is a different breed of abrasives. If I were testing it for finishing, I would use soft foam with no cut. I think comparing it to what other polishes did with that pad is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Not trying to bust you buddy..... but just giving my view and thought of how I would approach it.
    I'll take constructive criticism and day of the week. I was just curious how it would finish on soft BLACK paint compared to my go to combo. I'll try it with a finishing pad. Not sure I would get the same cut as PF/yellow. If that was the case, I wouldn't bother with ONE, because PF is an awesome 1-step that I've already tested on this particular paint. S20 Black and PF can cut pretty darned good too with just changing the pad. Marketing is a very powerful tool. I'm just curious how far ONE has come as far as a "game changer", if that's even the case. Simply put, I'm almost positive PF can finish better than ONE with any pad, and IFFFF it can cut nearly the same, ONE is nothing ground breaking. These are just my INITIAL thoughts.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I'll take constructive criticism and day of the week. I was just curious how it would finish on soft BLACK paint compared to my go to combo. I'll try it with a finishing pad. Not sure I would get the same cut as PF/yellow. If that was the case, I wouldn't bother with ONE, because PF is an awesome 1-step that I've already tested on this particular paint. S20 Black and PF can cut pretty darned good too with just changing the pad. Marketing is a very powerful tool. I'm just curious how far ONE has come as far as a "game changer", if that's even the case. Simply put, I'm almost positive PF can finish better than ONE with any pad, and IFFFF it can cut nearly the same, ONE is nothing ground breaking. These are just my INITIAL thoughts.

I certainly get what your saying!
    Jim

17. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast