autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Excellent write up Mike! I plan on picking up a bottle.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    is it smat or diminishing
    according to Mike, DAT.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Mark, the more I thought about this the more I laughed. “Can’t wait” hahahahaha Thanks for the laugh buddy.

BTW I would do the same if I had a store near me!
    LOL....3D is 10 miles away, AG is 3,000 miles away!

Have a great day, Jim! You're an awesome guy.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post

Mike

How does this product compare in your eyes to something like the Rupes UHS product that has been working excellent for me as a 1-step correction for surprisingly tough swirls even?
    Good question. It's been a while since I used the UHS System, which is the product and specific pad for RUPES tools. I'm pretty sure in my RUPES how-to book I talked about how the very aggressive UHS pad can when first starting out cause pad haze if not properly primed but the pad haze can be removed by the same pad once it has broken in a little.

Here's the last time I used it - it was for a Wednesday night class and of course I documented all the before, during and after pictures.

(Does any other person in this industry that calls themselves an "Instructor" to this?)

RUPES EASY GLOSS System - EXTREME MAKEOVER - 2006 Toyota Tundra - YEARS of neglect!

BEFORE

AFTER

How it was done --> RUPES EASY GLOSS SYSTEM

As you know the goal if possible would be to use 1 product in a 1-step fashion vs having to break out compound then polish....

so how close are we with this new product?

I'd say it will do what you want, that is it will work as a compound or a polish depending upon the pad you use and the VERY uncontrolled factor,

--> the car paint

Car paint is either hard, soft or somewhere in-between.

Softer paints are harder to finish down perfect with foam cutting pads but because they are soft the are also easier to correct thus you can use a less aggressive pad with a product like this.

Harder paints are easier to finish down to perfection with more aggressive pads simply because the paint is less prone to scratch easily, thus a product like this can be used with a range of pads depending upon the depth of the defects to be removed.

Medium paints will tend to correct and finish down using a "polishing" pad with just one application.

The depth of the defects in the paint is a key factor combined with a person's expectations for level of finish results.

Good questions...

Hard

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

Are this a non deminishing abrasive or a deminishing abrasive?

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post

is it smat or diminishing

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

Pretty sure it says DAT in the first or second post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

3D ONE HYBRID COMPOUND & POLISH in one Ask us anything!

Post 27 says Non-diminishing per HD rep

3D One

AG product says diminishing.

Personally I stopped caring about abrasive type in the buffing liquid as long as it works for me.

according to Mike, DAT.

So just to answer the above questions and hopefully clear up any confusion, what I posted was the info provided by the manufacturer.... here's what posted as I quote myself... note the portion in bold red text

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

From 3D

3D ONE is a new hybrid cutting compound and finishing polish in ONE product that accelerates paint correction performance.

3D ONE has specially engineered Nano Ceramic Alumina Abrasives that easily corrects or removes paint scratches, using a DA or high-speed rotary polisher.

3D ONE is a unique product; apply on a cutting pad to remove heavy scratches and then apply on a finishing pad to deliver an exceptional high gloss finish. <-- TWO STEPS --> using TWO PADS

3D ONE's aggressive paint correction - cutting power will come out when used with a a stiffer cutting pad. The high performance polishing ability will be reveled with a softer polishing or finishing pad.

It’s easy to use, and a little product goes a long way. It's easy to clean up and leaves the perfect finish every time. Works best when applied in shaded areas, but is also sun friendly.

Directions:

To remove scratches; shake well and apply 4 to 5 dime size drops on your choice of 3D wool or Spider-Cut foam pad and buff a 2’ X 2’ area at a time, with slow back and forth overlapping motions.

Once the scratches are removed, apply 4 to 5 dime size drops of 3D ONE on a 3D Spider-Cut finishing pad. Polish with the same overlapping motions, keeping the pad flat to the surface.

When the holograms and swirl marks are removed, wipe off residue with a clean microfiber towel to reveal TRUE 3D PAINT PERFECTION.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    End of 3D info
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This new compound/polish is basically a one liquid system - you adjust cut and finish by adjust pad choice.

I never stated it was SMAT or DAT - I shared what 3D says and what they say is,

3D ONE has specially engineered Nano Ceramic Alumina Abrasives

From what I've read in other posts, 3D has gone on to say that this specially engineered Nano Ceramic Alumina Abrasives are non-diminishing.

I'm more like Jim aka Dr. Olds - I stopped caring what's in the bottle a long time ago and instead focus on the performance of the product or in other words the results and I shared those in post #3

Has anyone found another review anywhere showing before, during and after results?

The buff out was the real-deal - I don't do mock-up.

7. Thanks WRAPT C5Z06, Diner, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered 3D ONE. I have my brothers 2015 Black Acura TLX that I'm correcting. Paint is on the softer side. I have been able to finish perfect with a Rupes Yellow Pad, S20 Black and Sonax Perfect Finish. I curious to see how ONE finishes with the same tool and pad. It's supposed to have more cut than S20 Black and PF, so if it finishes just as good, that would be awesome!!! My gut tells me if it has really heavy cut, it probably won't finish down with no haze on soft black paint. If it does, LOOK OUT!!
    '03 Corvette Z06

9. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Also.... just to share with everyone that will find this thread into the future....

Videos in this thread,

Brand new 3D Compound/Polish - To be introduced at the Roadshow Class at 3D!

And the first class in the U.S.A. to get to use this product before it became available to the public.... one of the benefits to going to an Autogeek Roadshow Class is sometimes you get to use a new product, pad or tool before anyone else...

Pictures from Autogeek Roadshow Class at 3D in Santa Clarita, California 2018

Post Thanks / Like

3d specially says their abrasive technology is of the non-diminishing type.

At the 30 minute mark in this video.

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

stupid question maybe, but did i understand that you need to use 2 different pads? A cutting pad for correction, then a polishing pad to polish? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of 1 step? What LC pads for my pc would be recommended to be used for this? Orange, white, neither?
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

according to Mike, DAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    So just to answer the above questions and hopefully clear up any confusion, what I posted was the info provided by the manufacturer.... here's what posted as I quote myself... note the portion in bold red text
    I didn't mean to misquote and note YOU said it was diminishing. I took what I said from what I read within the description of the product at the AutoGeek Store and in my mind I associate (wrongly perhaps) what is written up there with you as you are to me the face of AutoGeek. I don't like the way this sounds so please take no accusations or ill-intent with my words here. Mistakes happen and I'm sure there's no malice within them but I'm still looking for full clarification as to what type of abrasives are in the product.

Here's what I based my point and honestly, my purchase of the product on. It clearly notes "3D One contains diminishing abrasives that will correct more serious damage before breaking down and removing the minor marring caused with the major correction. " Now I'm torn, but the end result will be if the product does what I'm looking for.

Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish-3d-one-description-jpg

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast