autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forced Rotation VS Free Spinning...

Some say they feel the free spinning finishes better on soft paints, but I personally have zero issue with soft black finishing out well.

I grew up polishing with a rotary and thus hated a regular DA machine. I won’t use a non-forced rotation unit any longer. No need.

I’d much rather have the speed and power behind my Flex and Mille. The correction times of both far exceed that of most average units though some would argue a longer throw is faster. I’ll leave those arguments to them. Me, I can power through compounding, polishing and coating most large sedans in 6-8hrs from start to finish depending on the 1-2- or 3 layers of coatings purchased. That’s good for my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Some say they feel the free spinning finishes better on soft paints, but I personally have zero issue with soft black finishing out well.

I grew up polishing with a rotary and thus hated a regular DA machine. I won’t use a non-forced rotation unit any longer. No need.

I’d much rather have the speed and power behind my Flex and Mille. The correction times of both far exceed that of most average units though some would argue a longer throw is faster. I’ll leave those arguments to them. Me, I can power through compounding, polishing and coating most large sedans in 6-8hrs from start to finish depending on the 1-2- or 3 layers of coatings purchased. That’s good for my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I've seen some videos of experienced detailers use the tool and the pulling/smoothness didn't look much better than the 3401. Just an observation, nothing more, nothing less. Do you use the Rupes Mille polishes and pads with the Mille? I have the 3401 and hate it.
    '03 Corvette Z06

4. Dislikes dcjredline disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I've seen some videos of experienced detailers use the tool and the pulling/smoothness didn't look much better than the 3401. Just an observation, nothing more, nothing less. Do you use the Rupes Mille polishes and pads with the Mille? I have the 3401 and hate it.
    Mark, may I ask why you hate the 3401? I love using that machine and it’s one I grab most often. I know people complain about it pushing/pulling. While that is true when edging the machine, I still feel it is smooth running as long as you are holding the machine properly. My only gripe with the 3401 is how hot the housing gets.
    To the OP, the free spinning mode on the Makita is worthless imo. I’m sorry I bought the Makita. It just collects dust on my polisher rack. The gear driven mode is nice but I still prefer to grab my 3401. That is just my preference tho.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

My RBL is really hard to stall in speeds 4-6 unless you really lean into it but I honestly don't know if it's forced or free spinning,it has a 21 mm throw as well .

I was thinking of buying another machine and was looking into a Makita P5000 but maybe not after reading this thread,,maybe I should just save my pennies and get the LC UDOS.

how is the 3401 for buffing wet sand?,,I do alot of that and I am starting to get carpal tunnel symptoms pretty bad and am looking for something easier on my arms ,,or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I do use the Mille Pads. I also use the regular green and UHS Pads, the latter with the UHS Polish. In terms of polishes, the UHS is the only Rupes I use and love. Finishes out excellent and seems really make a one-step out of some pretty bad stuff. I really only use my 3401 for compounding with wool now that I have the Mille.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest differences between my gear driven Makita PO5000C and BOSS15 is smoothness and ease of use. No matter what gear driven machine you have or use, there is some element of 'pull' or 'walk' to it. It's the nature of the beast, whereas the BOSS as a free-spinning machine is almost effortless to use. As mentioned in previous posts, I will generally use the 5000C in gear driven mode for major correction and use the BOSS for moderate correction and polishing. This is not to suggest the BOSS can't be used for serious defects, it can. I do it more to spread the working time on both machines.

Looking forward to the UDOS. Maybe the motor will be powerful enough so we have a free-spinner that doesn't stall, or perhaps isn't as prone to stalling with less than perfect technique.

ScottH

9. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    One of the biggest differences between my gear driven Makita PO5000C and BOSS15 is smoothness and ease of use. No matter what gear driven machine you have or use, there is some element of 'pull' or 'walk' to it. It's the nature of the beast, whereas the BOSS as a free-spinning machine is almost effortless to use. As mentioned in previous posts, I will generally use the 5000C in gear driven mode for major correction and use the BOSS for moderate correction and polishing. This is not to suggest the BOSS can't be used for serious defects, it can. I do it more to spread the working time on both machines.

Looking forward to the UDOS. Maybe the motor will be powerful enough so we have a free-spinner that doesn't stall, or perhaps isn't as prone to stalling with less than perfect technique.

ScottH
    Good perception on buffers, Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

ScottH
    Hello Scott, thanks for your insight.
    So, I understand that you prefer to switch between the Makita and the BOSS G15 simply to split the time on the machines. With regard to the Makita, how well does it perform in free spinning mode? Comparable to the G15?

Post Thanks / Like

With the Mille pads, the "pull or walk" is nearly non-existent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    With the Mille pads, the "pull or walk" is nearly non-existent.
    Good to know..that was the big turn off for me when the 3401 came out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast