autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Interior Detailing steps

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    My "steps" are setup like they are to keep from re-introducing dirt into the previous step. If I did quadrants of the car, I feel like I would track dirt from a dirty quadrant into a clean one.
    Everybody has their own system. My system works for me, there's nothing wrong with it or any other system that works. I will say one of the killers of efficiency is unwillingness to learn a new way of doing something.

I will say this, it doesn't seem like you understand what I wrote. How in the world would one "track dirt" from a dirty section to a clean section? Once you completely clean a quadrant, you're done in that section. I'm not going back to that section except to put the mats in. That's kind of the point of the system. Tackle one quadrant 100% and move on. Give it a try sometime, you might find that you've learned something because your feelings on the subject are way off base.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    Just to share what I did with detail a couple of days ago and guess what I used to clean the carpet mats... my kid's baseball bat - about 2 ft long. I was hitting the mats to get rid of all our almost all the dirt and sand! So effective!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    I use the back of the long brush that I use to scrub wheel wells. You're right, it works great.

3. Likes Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    I might try Sudsmobile's method this weekend. I get tired of going round and round for each step.
    Once you get your process down, it's a real time saver. I carry everything with me in a detail bag. Takes me a couple minutes to get setup and I'm working. And, to reiterate, you're working from one section, making it 100% clean and then moving to a dirty section. No chance to reintroduce dirt from a dirty section to a clean section because you're only going from clean to dirty, not dirty to clean. The standard method, which has you moving around the car multiple times in circles, has you moving from dirty sections to clean sections. Inefficient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    Everybody has their own system. My system works for me, there's nothing wrong with it or any other system that works. I will say one of the killers of efficiency is unwillingness to learn a new way of doing something.

I will say this, it doesn't seem like you understand what I wrote. How in the world would one "track dirt" from a dirty section to a clean section? Once you completely clean a quadrant, you're done in that section. I'm not going back to that section except to put the mats in. That's kind of the point of the system. Tackle one quadrant 100% and move on. Give it a try sometime, you might find that you've learned something because your feelings on the subject are way off base.
    I'm not criticizing, I just don't think that it would work for me because i use a tornador. If I clean the rear passenger side, then I move to the rear driver's side, the tornador could blow dirt from the dirty driver's side to the clean passenger side. In fact if youve ever used a tornador on dirty carpet, it does blast dirt all over the adjoining trim. That's why i always do carpet before trim, with the tornador.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that would definitely create an issue. One of the things that keeps me from using one is the fact that carrying a large enough compressor is tough for me. The space, the noise, the power demands all add up to probably never going to happen. I'd love to try one though. However, I think my next big purchase is a steamer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    Just to share what I did with detail a couple of days ago and guess what I used to clean the carpet mats... my kid's baseball bat - about 2 ft long. I was hitting the mats to get rid of all our almost all the dirt and sand! So effective!

Guys used to post on here about the great results they got using the vibrating style of woodworking sanders to do similarly. I don't remember what they put on the Velcro to make them not stick.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah I saw that in YouTube. Hand sander I think. Good for the floor liners. Need to buy from harbor freight!

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same process no matter how good or bad the interior is.

I put both front seats forward all the way and middle row if it's a 3 row suv and start in the back with compressed air and blow forward and vacuum ,,I then scrub down the carpets and seats and extract whatever needs it.again starting rear to front to as I finish the seats go back to their natural positions.

I then do the dash,door panels center console etc with the absolute less effort needed to make them clean and I do the windows last then I do the trunk or hatch area if it's a car.

this process takes me less than an hour normally but I have had really dirty cars that have taken me 5 to 8 hours.

I should mention that before the interior I do my exterior washdown,motor compartment and jambs so if I get a splash or 2 of water inside the car it's no big deal as it will be addressed when I do the inside.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    In fact if youve ever used a tornador on dirty carpet, it does blast dirt all over the adjoining trim. That's why i always do carpet before trim, with the tornador.
    Yeah, I learned real quick that a tornador makes a mess and it needs to be step one. Its unreal how much debris it will blow out of carpet, even after its just been vacuumed.

Why passenger side first? I would think I want clean driver's seat first to allow it to dry

Post Thanks / Like

The best solution for sand and dirt in floor mats is the brush attachment on my DA, holding the mats against my thigh and running the polisher. The vibrations and the brush get rid of so much of that dirt it’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast