autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire coating or not?

I have 3 sets of tires that are relatively new (~2-4K miles) and have not had any products applied. I'm considering coating them before Winter. The dressings I have look good but don't have great longevity. My concern with a coating is the look - I prefer flat black tires to shiny.

Any thoughts on a coating that has a flat black look and doesn't add any shine? If not I'll just stick with using dressings every 2-3 months.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire coating or not?

TuffShine works well. Adds just a bit of shine but mostly just looks clean if you limit the amount of coats. Stuff lasts for months; here in NE Ohio, usually give the tires a coat or two (after cleaning) in Spring and that'll hold well into winter when, well...who cares. Clean, re-apply next Spring.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using tire coatings for four years now. You couldn't pay me to go back to dressings. I've found with coatings there's a direct correlation between shine and number of coats.

5. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I have to add is to make sure to clean them well with a tire cleaner such as Tuf Shine tire cleaner. If they are not clean the coating will not bond well and will look brown.

McKee's 37 updated their formula a few months ago to add a bit more gloss compared to the original formula. It is not overly glossy. It looks like a freshly dressed tire.

Tuf Shine tire coating is like the previous formula of McKee's. It is more satin in appearance. Even with three coats it looks more satin compared to McKee's.

The tire compound will also play into the overall look of the tire. I don't use tire dressings on my personal cars anymore. I made the switch over to a tire coating long ago. Take a little more prep but worth it compared to the longevity I get. Give it a go.

7. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Prep is not a problem. No browning on any of them and scrubbing several times won't be an issue. Will try a coating on one set of tires and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

The McKee’s 37 Tire coating is great. It has a satin/matte finish with 2-2 coats. Anymore and it will develop a shine. I’ve been quite happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The only thing I have to add is to make sure to clean them well with a tire cleaner such as Tuf Shine tire cleaner. If they are not clean the coating will not bond well and will look brown.

McKee's 37 updated their formula a few months ago to add a bit more gloss compared to the original formula. It is not overly glossy. It looks like a freshly dressed tire.

Tuf Shine tire coating is like the previous formula of McKee's. It is more satin in appearance. Even with three coats it looks more satin compared to McKee's.

The tire compound will also play into the overall look of the tire. I don't use tire dressings on my personal cars anymore. I made the switch over to a tire coating long ago. Take a little more prep but worth it compared to the longevity I get. Give it a go.
    Guz, do you touch up the coating on a particular schedule? I had good success using Tuf Shine but felt like I needed another to add another layer every 5 weeks or so. Not redo the whole process, but wipe another coat on after washing the tire with car soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post
    Guz, do you touch up the coating on a particular schedule? I had good success using Tuf Shine but felt like I needed another to add another layer every 5 weeks or so. Not redo the whole process, but wipe another coat on after washing the tire with car soap.
    Tuff Shine: a Review

Good review of the tuff shine coating here. Some pictures are lost, but on page 3 swanicyouth mentions eventually settling in to topping it off every month, so I’d imagine 5 weeks is in line with that.

After finding that thread I may actually give either tuff shine or McKee’s a try. Was on the fence for awhile but he lives in a similar climate to mine, and I hate the losing battle I fight with dressings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post
    No set schedule. I just do it on whim. McKee's needs less touch ups between applications. That is one thing I noticed about Tuf Shine as well. It seems to fade rather quickly. Roughly about 8 weeks in or so. McKee's I have for probably close to 6 months and it looks like it needs a refresher. I also don't strip the entire tire coating off the and start over. A thorough cleaning with some N914 and onto to the next coat. Seems to work well.

13. Thanks gspam1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tuf Shine coating and cleaner arrived. I got two tires coated so far. The tires I coated have 4K miles, have never had dressing and have been cleaned with a brush dozens of times. I figured no issue with the cleaner. Wrong.

As soon as I hit them with Tuf Shine cleaner brown stuff was running down them. Scrubbed them. Spray again. Repeat a few times. 4-5 times before I had relatively white looking cleaner foam. It was never completely white on the brush, but after 5 times I called it good. I also scrubbed with water to get any soap off the tire. Coating is a couple of days old. Looks fine. A little shinier than I like.

Reading above... if I have to re-coat ever 4-6 weeks I may as well stick with a dressing. I'll see how it goes and maybe try McKee's if this doesn't have better durability than that.

FYI, I also tried cleaning with APC. Tried at 1:1 and straight with 3 of them. They all get the brown out but not as well as Tuf Shine cleaner.

15. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast