autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

I think with PA, people are paying for a unique look. I’ve heard similar things about durability. I don’t plan on using their coatings, but I do like the topper sprays and I will try Master Sealant eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Updates from the last day.

Boxster hood doing well. Hydro Blue perhaps little behind Spray + Seal and Hydro2. Not sure it's significant. Animation here. Interesting to see the Spray + Seal doesn't clear completely they way the other two do. Not sure what that means, if anything.

The Rover hood is doing about the same. No pictures for Rover or the white Sentra. Too bright outside - I'll try to get some pics later tonight or early tomorrow. SFX-4 still doing the best by far. It's clearing first but also has straight edges and clearly defined boundaries. The others are sort of clearing from the middle outward and don't have clearly defined edges any longer.

SFX-4: 25 seconds
    Dodo Acrylic: 35 seconds

~45 Seconds
    Four Star
    Mystery #4
    McKee's Fast Wax
    303 Spray
    BF Carnuba
    Nano Shock
    3M Spray Wax
    Griots Finishing

Note that some other products are still working (Megs #20 and EXP), they're just not reliably clearing across multiple tests and are too slow relative to the others.

All products on The Sentra are doing well. All three products on the hood are clearing in 10-15 seconds. Same for the trunk with HD Speed being a little slower than two waxes. Not sure it's significant at this point. The roof is also doing well with Sonax Brilliant Shine repelling water faster than anything else. It's hard to keep water on it. Megs Quik Wax is the next fastest, but doesn't repel the way Sonax does. The rest all about the same with BF Crystal Seal being a little but slower.

Note that I have slopped driveway. I tested the roof several time and parked the car both directions to be sure what I was seeing wasn't due slope issues with the roof.

2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

3. Likes PaulMys, cullen2505, gspam1, SWETM, GEM65 and 4 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've followed this thread from post one, Rip.

Greatly appreciated.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

griots finishing sealant is blowing my mind, i can not get that stuff to last to save my life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    griots finishing sealant is blowing my mind, i can not get that stuff to last to save my life
    I've used their One-Step sealant, and THAT product was very durable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    That one and a couple of others have been challenging. Sometimes it clears, sometimes it doesn't. I tend to do several tests to try and get a sense of what's really happening and I'm likely overly generous. Tested the Rover hood this morning and a couple of these, including Griot's, I'm calling done. They are still doing something but not enough relative to the ones that are still working well. Will do a more detailed update later today.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I've used their One-Step sealant, and THAT product was very durable.
    Interesting. I only got 2 weeks out of it. Most of these products tested in Winter need a re-test. Unfortunately I'm running out of time where I live. Rain will start in ~2 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Updates from the last day.

Boxster hood doing well. Hydro Blue perhaps little behind Spray + Seal and Hydro2. Not sure it's significant. Animation here. Interesting to see the Spray + Seal doesn't clear completely they way the other two do. Not sure what that means, if anything.

The Rover hood is doing about the same. No pictures for Rover or the white Sentra. Too bright outside - I'll try to get some pics later tonight or early tomorrow. SFX-4 still doing the best by far. It's clearing first but also has straight edges and clearly defined boundaries. The others are sort of clearing from the middle outward and don't have clearly defined edges any longer.

SFX-4: 25 seconds
    Dodo Acrylic: 35 seconds

~45 Seconds
    Four Star
    Mystery #4
    McKee's Fast Wax
    303 Spray
    BF Carnuba
    Nano Shock
    3M Spray Wax
    Griots Finishing

Note that some other products are still working (Megs #20 and EXP), they're just not reliably clearing across multiple tests and are too slow relative to the others.

All products on The Sentra are doing well. All three products on the hood are clearing in 10-15 seconds. Same for the trunk with HD Speed being a little slower than two waxes. Not sure it's significant at this point. The roof is also doing well with Sonax Brilliant Shine repelling water faster than anything else. It's hard to keep water on it. Megs Quik Wax is the next fastest, but doesn't repel the way Sonax does. The rest all about the same with BF Crystal Seal being a little but slower.

Note that I have slopped driveway. I tested the roof several time and parked the car both directions to be sure what I was seeing wasn't due slope issues with the roof.

I used to use megs 20 on my mom's car back in the 90's. Once in the fall and once in the spring. Every time I'd get "pilled" gunk coming up off the paint. I assumed it was old m20 coming up off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Some updates with video below.

Boxster hood doing well. I'm not seeing any differentiation between the area with no sealant. I may polish a section across the middle to see if a difference becomes more obviously. Hydro2 moving a little slower.
    https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/...dYRDk0VmZhQXp3

The Sentra hood is doing ok. FK 215 is working but not clearing 100%. Hydro2 and Hydro Blue both clearing in ~30 seconds, Hydro 2 may be slightly faster on this hood (vs. the Boxster hood). On the Sentra Trunk HD Speed and Mothers Gold are clearing in 15-20 seconds. Mothers Speed spray wax (in the middle) has slowed down relative to the other two.

On the Sentra roof the driver's side is generally doing better. Sonax Brilliant Shine is still performing the best with Megs Quik Wax next. If the video below note that at ~40 seconds in the driver's side is mostly clear and the passenger side still has standing water. A minute in the Rupes 808 and Aquawax still have standing water and I think are done. https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/...dYRDk0VmZhQXp3

The Rover hood is doing about the same and continues to be a little confusing. I washed with Reset again and it seems to have revived some of these. Video below is hard to see. About 30 seconds everything on the left side has cleared. By 40 seconds you can see 3M Synthetic wax on the right side has mostly cleared. Harder to see but at 45 or so Mystery Sealant has cleared and Nanoshock up by the windshield sprayer on the right is trying. Four Star and McKee's Fast Wax in the front left are still working. At about a minute you can see Poorboys with Carnuba clearing in the front toward the right corner. Clearly still working but I'll call it done given that it takes over a minute to clear.
    http://Supernatural Acrylic Spritz F...rior Spray Wax

So I think we're down to 7 on the Rover hood:
    Sonux SFX-4 (still performing the best)
    Dodo Supernatural
    McKee's 37 Fast Wax
    Blackfire Carnuba Spray
    Mystery #4
    Four Star Ultimate Spray Wax
    303 Spray Wax

Updated chart:

10. Likes Mer2112, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i used griots finishing sealant again this past week on a clients car, gonna see if i get similar reluts as you, im hoping so.

Post Thanks / Like

Very curious to see what you get with it. Even though it lasted quite a while, it's hasn't been overly impressive with water flying off. As an example, look at how SFX-4 is working compared to the 3M product. Both are working, but SFX-4 is still clearing much faster. Despite the longevity I'd says the Griot's product wasn't very impressive relative to the others.

Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast