autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Things I saw at the car show SMH!

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Kinda makes one wonder...when 'our' daily drivers are lookin' better than 'their' show cars.
    To be fair, people have different motivations with the cars they own. Some people like to keep their things like new and original, some people like to modify/personalize everything, some people "just want to drive it", some people just want the trophies, some just want the social outlet.

2. Likes Coleroad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Many many years ago Todd Helme had a great answer for a member who worked at a car dealer, and was learning to work in the detail bay from a guy who had been there for 15 years. The new member's question was that the techniques that were preached on the forum (I can't remember if it was Autopia, TID, AF, or here) were much different than what this "expert" of 15 years was teaching him...who was right? Todd explained that it sounded like his coworker didn't really have 15 years of experience, but that he had just been doing what he learned in the first month for 15 years...so he really had 1 month of experience and 15 years of practice (doing it the wrong way).

I've certainly run into people in my life who have already learned all they need to know and aren't interested in learning anything else or getting any advice on anything. Sounds like your car show crowd and I'd say those guys are not the kind of people who you'll find on a forum like this, or not for long.
    I could have easily fit in the 15 years of doing the wrong thing category. Only in the last 10 years have I been making strides in relearning and bettering my technique as time goes on.

I think we can all say we started somewhere. For example, I was taught in the 80's from my dad, that Dawn dish soap was what you used in the bucket. And of course it was one bucket without a grit guard, and whatever towel you had laying around, which included T-shirts. He would use diapers that we had laying around to dry, back when there was a diaper service that came to your door. The good ole' days LOL!

Speaking of car shows, I went to a cars and coffee event in Pontiac MI a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned my up my car the day before and was satisfied it looked ready. Of course, the next morning I left and a thunderstorm decided to form and come down ONLY around my house. When I got to the show it still looked 1000 times better than 90% of the others there LOL! I agree that alot of people don't care for their paint so much, but there were a couple there you could tell they loved their cars. This event had a bit of everything there, from old to new, and from muscle to exotic, even had a few supercars there. It was a blast!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFire72 View Post
    I think we can all say we started somewhere. For example, I was taught in the 80's from my dad, that Dawn dish soap was what you used in the bucket. And of course it was one bucket without a grit guard, and whatever towel you had laying around, which included T-shirts. He would use diapers that we had laying around to dry, back when there was a diaper service that came to your door. The good ole' days LOL!
    Honestly, it's a different world today. There is so much info available via the internet including forums like this one. Back in the 70's or 80's you might send in a reader service card from Popular Mechanics and get a Meguiar's brochure in the mail that gave you a rudimentary outline of car care...you might then call up a regional office and talk to someone, or maybe get some advice at a car show or auto parts store (and we know how good that advice probably was).

6. Likes JFire72 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, it's a different world today. There is so much info available via the internet including forums like this one. Back in the 70's or 80's you might send in a reader service card from Popular Mechanics and get a Meguiar's brochure in the mail that gave you a rudimentary outline of car care...you might then call up a regional office and talk to someone, or maybe get some advice at a car show or auto parts store (and we know how good that advice probably was).
    LOL!

Very true, I remember even in the 90's the info wasn't readily available, or maybe it was and I didn't try very hard. I do remember trying every single product out trying to get that wet look I would see on a nice car. Back then I had NO idea what I was doing, and can only laugh at myself now.

And back then, I don't think my dad ever had a car magazine or the like that would have said how to do anything either. Nor do I think he cares much now even LOL! He still thinks going through a local touchless wash and having a guy at the end drying his truck off is good enough. I have tried to tell him to leave his truck with me for a day, but he's stubborn haha!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The barber shop was also a good place to get advice from car washing to how to do your taxes.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    The barber shop was also a good place to get advice from car washing to how to do your taxes.
    I didn't like getting my hair cut, so I guess I missed out on all that good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Things I saw at the car show SMH!

I've been to only two shows recently In many years, and I have to say I was amazed at how poorly the majority of the car finishes were!
    That said I do remember the days in the 60s & 70s when you used a tee shirt or old sweat shirt to remove your turtle wax or rain dance wax you bought at Kmart !
    When I first started detailing for money ( before 2 bucket & micro fiber ect. ) I went to the local McGuires warehouse & was "talked" through the whole process, basically learn as you go, but that was 35yrs. ago. Now the knowledge & products are far more superior.

13. Likes Thomkirby, UncleDavy liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12