autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bug and Tar removal

I looked up the msds of my tar degreaser. The chemical name it is based on with 85% is ISOPARAFFIN L, SYNTHESIS GRADE and has the cas number 64742-48-9. It's a Hydrotreated heavy naphtha that make the odor less noticeble than straight naptha. Then it has something in it that makes it as a gel when it sprays on the paint. And can also be sprayed on a wet panel which is a benefit if you have a very dirty car to begin with. This I use almost at every wash during the winter months when the road salt is on the roads. I start to apply a TFR prewash foam on a dry car and let it dwell for about 5min. Then clean rinse from the bottom and work my way up with the PW. This technique is recommended by Griots Garage BOSS foaming system they just released. Then apply the tar degreaser with the Kwazar Pump Sprayer on the side panels from the bottom and up just to the side windows and on the back of the car. Since it's getting gel like the dwelling time is very long and you just have to see so it's not drying on the paint. Then when I use the PW it has desolve the tar and rubber and other contaminants that it can desolve. So it's rinsed off the car with ease. Then I start my 2bm wash with carpro reset and the rinse bucket hardly gets dirty after this prewash steps. If the tar has been on the car for a long time. I blow dry it with a leafblower before applying the tar degreaser and it's becomes more effective on those tar spots since it not gets diluted with the water on the paint. And if that wont desolve them I have a tar remover that is on par with 3M tar and adhisive remover. Soak a part on a mf towel and hold it against the spot. Then lightly wipe it off till it's gone then rinse and wash to neutralise the degreaser.

The bugs gets easy PW off after the prewash foams I use. In the winter months I use a TFR prewash foam which is alkaline based degreaser. And in the summer months a ph neutral prewash foam. If the bug squash seems to be stubborn I spray some of the alkaline based degreaser diluted in a pump sprayer or spray bottle and let dwell for some minutes and then foam over it with the prewash foam. Don't have any problems doing it this way and you can see the bug squash runs off most of the time during the dwelling time.
    I would look into a citrus based degreaser and an orange peel oil based one is most effective. To either foam on or use in a pump sprayer or spray bottle. I think if you have a foamcannon and PW the gtechnic w4 citrus foam or gyeon foam would desolve the bugs easy with not need to be touching your paint to get them off. That's why I use chemicals is the need to not touching the paint. But in some rare cases a little aggitation is needed.

If you use chemicals and don't get all of tar off. Don't use your finest wash mitts and or mf wash towels. As the tar spots can be softened up so the wash media pick them up. It can be hard to get them clean afterwards. And you don't want to have old tar spots in your wash mitts or mf wash towels when you are going to wash the next time.

And always work with chemicals out of the sun and on cool panels. So they don't dries up on you on the paint.

2. Likes Maxreed241, Coleroad, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple cars coming in with really bad tar down the whole side of both cars. I experimented with some of my best tar removers on one of them today, and NOTHING took the road tar off. I went through Tarminator, mineral spirits and even straight gasoline, which ALWAYS works on even the worst tars and road sealers. The only thing that would touch it was Goof Off, which is mostly acetone. I've never seen tar this bad.

I'm wondering what you guys are using for VERY LARGE concentrations of tar... not just a few small spots.
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

For the real nasty, Kerosene is the answer.
    Jim

5. Thanks PurpleTowel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I think I’m leaning towards a citrus based cleaner to remove tar. Then use diluted Meg’s D101 for bugs. Does this sound like a good plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just used the Wolfgang bug spritz today. Sprayed it on, let it dwell 10 minutes, and the bugs sprayed right off with a garden hose. I'm sold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post
    So I think I’m leaning towards a citrus based cleaner to remove tar. Then use diluted Meg’s D101 for bugs. Does this sound like a good plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Just make sure the citrus cleaner/degreaser is made to desolve tar. Some of them has lower dilution and is not so effective to desolve tar.

10. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    For the real nasty, Kerosene is the answer.
    Agree!

Like removes like.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

12. Likes PurpleTowel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    For the real nasty,
    Kerosene is the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Agree!

Like removes like.

Bill
    ^^^

(Additionally) Mothers Speed
    Foaming Bug and Tar Remover:

-Talk about a product that’ll eviscerate bug
    guts; tar; bird droppings; sap; as well as:
    many other problem contaminants...

—><—(~$6-7)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Stoner Tarminator all day. Great stuff

15. Likes Avgguy, PurpleTowel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone interested, there is a separate follow-up to my previous post of the tar-covered Subaru BRZ that came in this past weekend...

Tar Covered Subaru BRZ
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

17. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast