autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advise for flex noob

For 3401, Lake Country Force Hybrids seem to work best. B&S Uro-Fiber nice too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    For 3401, Lake Country Force Hybrids seem to work best. B&S Uro-Fiber nice too.
    okidoki. well make a note. tnx

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

so i am looking at this: flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher. pricey..... but worth it??? so that's not a 'long throw', correct?

Griots...seem less expensive but same quality? where is that made in? (looking at the Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher)
    dont know if I should go full mental with the flex or take it easy with Griots or Rupes (??) or how about that Meguiars MT300 Dual Action Polisher? Dont like that large handle/lever...
    So far I am leaning towards the flex 3401....

Before I spent like 400-500 buckerionos I need to know if this is worth it...and I am not screwing up my paint with it.......

thanks alot people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Griot's Garage 6". A great tool to learn and grow with. I have 2 of them and still find myself reaching for them once in a while. Griot's also has excellent customer service and warranty.

I think for now I will go with your advice. The flex is prob great tool - but like $500 for a beginner... IDK... The Griot 6" is reasonable priced and to get a feeling for a DA it's prob good for a start.
    Which pads are you using with it? I might go with some 'lake country' like some other usw recommended... Do I need special wax/sealent/polish for the DA, does it have to be the liquid kind or can I go with whatever I got?

thanks guys for your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the PC 7424xp.

For most jobs it's the first tool I grab.

I tend to use my Rupes set up for more high end, and specialty work. I'll use the 3401 for huge vehicles like campers, and industrial vehicles. The PC will do everything else. While I have a 7424xp, I'm usually using the original version which has the least amount of power, but still works great, is small, durable, reliable, and dependable. If I could only have one tool this would be it.

My most used pads are 5.5" (6.5 for the 3401) Buff and Shine.
    I recommend:
    4 - Orange/Black Microfiber - Heavy cutting
    4 - Green - General cutting / One step polishing
    4 - Blue - General polishing / Fine finishing
    4 - Black - Cleaner Wax
    2 - Red - Sealant / Wax

The "juice":
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
    Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (A12, M06, or D166)
    Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Sort of an "outdated" set up, but it really works. Especially in the pad world. Those pads are just some no frills, workhorse, get the job done items. Nothing sexy there.

I prefer these foams to the standard orange and white because I just don't like the way they work. I find they don't do a lot of cutting on their own, need a ton of pressure to do anything, and resist contouring to surface irregularities. They are also the most resistant to spinning, which can severwly hamper defect removal. Conversely, if you use a lot of pressure on the green, blue, and black pads you'll kill the benefits of their characteristics. The bigger drawback is that green, blue, and black can absorb product more if you're not paying attention to reload quantity, or if you're doing the whole face priming thing. You just need a circle of product, or a few dots arpund the perimeter to get started.

The Super Micro Abrasive Technology used in the Meguiar's Ultimate line is related to their professional formulas, and work great with random orbital tools. Because there is no need to "work them down" as you would a diminishing abrasive product. This allows you to "short cycle". If your defects are gone in three passes instead of five... you can save a ton of time. In fact, Ultimate Polish almost works better short cycled. I also really like their old school cleaner wax. I don't sell the service where I'd use a product like that, and promise to deliver a lot if any correction with it.

You have a lot of good options here though. I just thought I'd share mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I like the PC 7424xp.

For most jobs it's the first tool I grab.

I tend to use my Rupes set up for more high end, and specialty work. I'll use the 3401 for huge vehicles like campers, and industrial vehicles. The PC will do everything else. While I have a 7424xp, I'm usually using the original version which has the least amount of power, but still works great, is small, durable, reliable, and dependable. If I could only have one tool this would be it.

My most used pads are 5.5" (6.5 for the 3401) Buff and Shine.
    I recommend:
    4 - Orange/Black Microfiber - Heavy cutting
    4 - Green - General cutting / One step polishing
    4 - Blue - General polishing / Fine finishing
    4 - Black - Cleaner Wax
    2 - Red - Sealant / Wax

The "juice":
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
    Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (A12, M06, or D166)
    Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Sort of an "outdated" set up, but it really works. Especially in the pad world. Those pads are just some no frills, workhorse, get the job done items. Nothing sexy there.

I prefer these foams to the standard orange and white because I just don't like the way they work. I find they don't do a lot of cutting on their own, need a ton of pressure to do anything, and resist contouring to surface irregularities. They are also the most resistant to spinning, which can severwly hamper defect removal. Conversely, if you use a lot of pressure on the green, blue, and black pads you'll kill the benefits of their characteristics. The bigger drawback is that green, blue, and black can absorb product more if you're not paying attention to reload quantity, or if you're doing the whole face priming thing. You just need a circle of product, or a few dots arpund the perimeter to get started.

The Super Micro Abrasive Technology used in the Meguiar's Ultimate line is related to their professional formulas, and work great with random orbital tools. Because there is no need to "work them down" as you would a diminishing abrasive product. This allows you to "short cycle". If your defects are gone in three passes instead of five... you can save a ton of time. In fact, Ultimate Polish almost works better short cycled. I also really like their old school cleaner wax. I don't sell the service where I'd use a product like that, and promise to deliver a lot if any correction with it.

You have a lot of good options here though. I just thought I'd share mine.
    thanks for your thoughts. I doesnt come with a backing plate though..
    Also keep in mind I don't need lots of 'cutting' power as it would be used to maintain a new paint.

~~SD~~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowworldz View Post
    thanks for your thoughts. I doesnt come with a backing plate though..
    Also keep in mind I don't need lots of 'cutting' power as it would be used to maintain a new paint.

~~SD~~
    Oh right!

I'd pick up the 5" Buff and Shine plate..

That green pad and a polish might be all that you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Oh right!

I'd pick up the 5" Buff and Shine plate..

That green pad and a polish might be all that you need.
    Yeah, seems like the Porter is the one I will go with 'cause for the price it seems like the best deal. Still confused about the backing plate/pads. Do I need to get a 5" or 6" backing plate? The pads need to be one size up? Like 6" pads for 5" backing plate?? Can I run the Porter with an extension cable?
    thanks my friends.

~~SD~~

Post Thanks / Like

If you are choosing the PC 7424xp or the GG 6 I highly suggest this backing plate.

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

This is the best backing on the market right now In my opinion.

It is a 5 inch backing plate. So it will be used for 5.5 inch pads.

If you want to keep you pad selections simple I also suggest 5.5 inch x 7/8 Lake country hydro techs. Only three colors so it’s easy picking for the task u need it for. They are awesome pads.

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads

These are just my suggestions as others will have others I am sure. But they have worked great for me over the years.
    Jim

11. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    If you are choosing the PC 7424xp or the GG 6 I highly suggest this backing plate.

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

This is the best backing on the market right now In my opinion.

It is a 5 inch backing plate. So it will be used for 5.5 inch pads.

If you want to keep you pad selections simple I also suggest 5.5 inch x 7/8 Lake country hydro techs. Only three colors so it’s easy picking for the task u need it for. They are awesome pads.

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads

These are just my suggestions as others will have others I am sure. But they have worked great for me over the years.
    Still don't understand why I should use a 5" plate with a 6" DA??

ok, sounds good. tnx I was looking at a 3M backing plate... suppose to be good?
    So the size of the pads correlates with the size of the backplate?

also cleaning those pads...guess I can't throw 'em in the laundry right.. all just use new ones for every job?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast