autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Machine Tire Scrubber by Mike Phillips - NO SHOCK HAZARD WHILE WASHING YOUR CAR!

Review: Machine Tire Scrubber by Mike Phillips - NO SHOCK HAZARD WHILE WASHING YOUR CAR!

Recently we brought in a cordless spot repair polisher and I was asked to test it out. I charged the battery and the affixed a couple different types of buffing pads, placed it against a body panel turned it on a just as expected, the little hand held drill looking tool spun the pad against the paint. I sent in my feedback that the tool did in deed work to buff paint but what where I think it really shines, (no pun intended), is as shock-proof machine tire scrubber.

What am I talking about?

I'm talking about machine scrubbing your tires instead of hand scrubbing and I'm talking about using this little handheld cordless polisher as a machine tire scrubber. You see, this tool unlike a drill uses an attatchment design that uses a 5/16" fine thread spindle not a universal adjustable chuck like most drills.

Guess what?

The Cyclo brushes have a 5/16" fine thread spindle. This means they will thread onto this cordless polisher and turn it into a cordless machine scrubber.

Check it out...

Here's an old 2-door Chevy with some period correct tires....

Here's the Mighty Mini Cordless Polisher with a Cyclo Aqua Upholstery Brush

Picture kind of does the talking...

And here's the deal.... machines always outperform the human when it comes to most detailing procedures....

SAFE WAY TO MACHINE SCRUB TIRES
    And besides doing a better job of getting the brown tire blooming off your car's tires as well as just about everything else, because this tool is CORDLESS you cannot get shocked while machine scrubbing your tires.

Shocked you ask?

Yes, shocked. I can remember being shocked while machine scrubbing some tires on a Ferrari in the below article, check out the 2nd and 3rd picture. Note there's no water on the ground in this pictures. The shock came when I learned the importance of washing the downhill tire FIRST, not the uphill tire.

How to wash Ferrari Wheels and Tires

I don't know if I'm the original source for showing people how to turn their Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher into a dual action tire scrubber but I have the oldest article I can find on this topic on the Internet. The time stamp on this article is March 28th, 2013

Best darn tire cleaning brush I've ever used!

Here's the first video I made on this procedure dated October 25th, 2013 --> Screenshot

Rotary vs Orbital

Another benefit to this tool is that it is a rotary action, that is the brush is spun in a single direction and like all drills the power is delivered via gears, that is it is gear-driven, not free spinning. ANYONE that has ever used a Porter Cable or Griot's Garage or any copy of these two tools to machine scrub tires knows two things,

1: Just like polishing paint with a free spinning polisher you have to turn the speed up to the highest setting and pay attention to how you hold the polisher to maintain BRUSH rotation. Not so with this cordless tool, it's gear driven and the brush always spins.

2: When you use an orbital polisher to machine scrub the portion of the tire that's close to the concrete, the reciprocating backing on the brush bangs into the ground and makes a horrible sound plus vibrates the heck out of your hands. Not so with this cordless tool.

Machine scrubbing your tires is the only way to go....

On Autogeek

Mighty Mini Cordless Polisher aka Machine Tire Scrubber

2 Pack Cyclo Polisher Aqua Soft Carpet Brush

TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat 16 ounce

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, dlc95, JKDesign, Thomkirby, FrankS and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Machine Tire Scrubber by Mike Phillips - NO SHOCK HAZARD WHILE WASHING YOUR CAR!

I see this tool in my future. I love machine tire scrubbing. But with a cordless gear-driven tool...BONUS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Machine Tire Scrubber by Mike Phillips - NO SHOCK HAZARD WHILE WASHING YOUR CAR!

Awesome Stingray and cool tool for scrubbing tires. I bet it works just as well on floor mats and carpet.

Post Thanks / Like

When AG announced this tool, it was the kit with the brushes that caught my eye. I was wondering which one would be best for tires. Should be a good carpet tool.

Mike, can we assume that there was plenty of battery power to clean the four tires? Can you give an opinion on the battery time? Should one assume that an extra battery be a requirement?

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's some more info....

It comes with the tool, two batteries and the charger.

This is the threaded chuck, it's 5/16" fine thread

All Cyclo brushes have a 5/16" fine thread spindle or stud for attaching to the Cyclo Polisher.

On the top of the chuck is a gear-lock button to lock up the gears while you tighten on the brush or any backing plates.

On the top of the handle is a speed selector with options for speed #1 or speed #2

There's also a slider switch on the side to lock the power button in the on or off position.

The rechargeable batteries are the normal stile for small tools and install and remove easily.

There are 3 battery life indicator lights on the side of the tool that light up to show current battery charge when you pull the speed trigger.

When installing a Cyclo brush, press the chuck lock-up button and then spin the brush on and tighten until snug.

My new best tire scrubbing friend...

7. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Dano shine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK never mind. So it already comes with 2 batteries.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post

Mike, can we assume that there was plenty of battery power to clean the four tires?

Can you give an opinion on the battery time? Should one assume that an extra battery be a requirement?

I machine scrubbed the 4 tires on the Corvette and the 4 tires on my own car without changing the battery and without noticing any falloff in power from the battery in the tools.

This really makes scrubbing your tires FAST and EASY. Worth every penny if you're a fanatic about clean wheels and tires. Plus I don't have to worry about being shocked. In ALL my articles, video and in all my classes over the past 5+ years, I've always used myself and shown others how to machine scrub tires using a tool MOST people already have, a Porter Cable or Griot's Garage or even the HF polisher and it's because the Cyclo brushes will attach like a backing plate.

The issue has always been to NOT have the water hose around until AFTER you have done the work because there is no such thing as a water-safe corded electric tool. That said, I still preferred to machine scrub tires versus hand scrub so I'm always very careful and I warn others to be careful.

So when I first was shown this tool as saw that it could take the Cyclo brushes my first thought was not polishing paint, I have normal polishers for that, my first thought was,

Wow! A safe way to machine scrub tires!

And with 8 tires under my belt it is now my go-to tool for scrubbing tires anytime I wash a car.

Here's a technique tip....

Put the speed setting on the #1 - that's the slow setting and don't simply pull the trigger full power. Instead, feather the trigger a little to spread your tires cleaner over the sidewall and then only pull the trigger half way. Half a trigger on the #1 speed setting is more than enough power to machine scrub tires effectively.

I also used to machine scrub the plastic cladding on our SUV. Works like a charm.

Works good.

Also - for anyone considering applying a tire COATING to their cars tires or their customer's car's tires should be machine scrubbing the sidewalls to insure they are completely clean and free of anything that could interfere or hinder with the bonding of the coating to the rubber.

I don't think I would ever attempt using a tire coating unless I had machine scrubbed first.

10. Thanks DBAILEY, VitreousHumor, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor, Leon79 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued.....

Works great to machine scrub plastic trim and cladding....

My camera lens was fogged over when I took this shot but this is machine scrubbing the lower plastic trim on the bottom of the passenger side rear fender...

This would be good for removing oxidation off of neglected exterior plastic before applying products like Solution Finish or other plastic trim dressings. The key to using a trim dressing or protectant is to FIRST get the weathered, neglected trim very clean.

12. Thanks VitreousHumor, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor, Leon79 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike! Stop making me want to spend money LOL

This looks very nice. Just added it to my wanted list

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool tool

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast