autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Any uses in direct sunlight or high heat yet?
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    Any uses in direct sunlight or high heat yet?

Anyone? Hate to buy a 32oz bottle to find out it's no good in direct sun.

And does anyone have any ideas about durability? I've seen 3-4 months in a couple places on the net.
    Joe Catanzaro

Mike Phillips

Anyone? Hate to buy a 32oz bottle to find out it's no good in direct sun.
    Happy to say I have not had to use in direct sun. When it's sunny around here it's freakin hot outside.

Here's the deal, this product wipes off really easy, so as long as you don't tackle to large of an area when working outside in direct sunlight, you'll be okay.

Also, there's a difference between working in direct sunlight in early morning and One O'clock at noon in Arizona. Plan your day accordingly to work when it's cooler out. Somewhere around here I have an article on working in direct sunlight that has some good tips.

And does anyone have any ideas about durability? I've seen 3-4 months in a couple places on the net.
    I have it on our Lexus and it's been 3 months, water is still beading but of course, not like it was the day after I applied it. Generally speaking, most cleaner/waxes last about 3 months.

What I've been doing is topping the horizontal surfaces with SONAX PNS, quick, easy and you get an easy 6 months.

Of course how long any product lasts comes down to how the surface is "touched".

Post Thanks / Like

I used Blackfire One-Step over the weekend and while it worked well I had a fair amount of dusting and the pad got caked more than I thought it would. Wondering if I was doing something wrong? I used a G21 with the yellow pad and used on speed 4-5. I noticed the dusting slowed down as I worked throughout the detail. I may not of noticed as much dusting later as I did the sides but horizontal surfaces it did. Any suggestions are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timmy6262 View Post
    I used Blackfire One-Step over the weekend and while it worked well I had a fair amount of dusting and the pad got caked more than I thought it would. Wondering if I was doing something wrong? I used a G21 with the yellow pad and used on speed 4-5. I noticed the dusting slowed down as I worked throughout the detail. I may not of noticed as much dusting later as I did the sides but horizontal surfaces it did. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Youre looking at most likely a combination of new/dry pad, running the machine too fast, and not enough product.

Especially with a 21mm orbit you don’t need a lot of machine speed to get the job done. I normally run my g15 (which I’m getting ready to swap for a 21) at 3-3.5 ish when working AIOs with an orange boss pad.
    Joe Catanzaro

Post Thanks / Like

Youre looking at most likely a combination of new/dry pad, running the machine too fast, and not enough product.

Especially with a 21mm orbit you don’t need a lot of machine speed to get the job done. I normally run my g15 (which I’m getting ready to swap for a 21) at 3-3.5 ish when working AIOs with an orange boss pad.
    Ok great thanks I will definitely try that next time. I think I ended up slowing down the speed as I went along because it just didn't seem right that it was dusting like that. Ended up finishing with a GG6 anyway because I and Griots thinks the brushes tanked. Glad Griots has great customer service because I was mad as hell second time I used it and it stopped working between panels then ten minutes later worked fine then died again. At that point I just put it on the shelf and did the last two sections with the GG6.

Sent from my PH-1 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timmy6262 View Post
    How was the paint you worked on?

If it was oxidized and in bad shape you can get dusting. It's the old paint you remove that the pad could not keep the amount of it in the. Since it got caked with something. It could be that you used to much of the polish too so it got saturated and dried up in the pad and then dusted. Or that you overworked it and it dried while you worked.

How many passes per sections did you do?
    How often did you switch to a fresh pad?
    And how much product did you use on the pad?
    Was it new pads or pads you have used before? If used before do you think you got them clean enough?
    What prep work did you do before you started to polish?
    Did you work in the shade or in a garage or in the sun?

Many questions but it could be different things that caused the dusting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    How was the paint you worked on?

If it was oxidized and in bad shape you can get dusting. It's the old paint you remove that the pad could not keep the amount of it in the. Since it got caked with something. It could be that you used to much of the polish too so it got saturated and dried up in the pad and then dusted. Or that you overworked it and it dried while you worked.

How many passes per sections did you do?
    How often did you switch to a fresh pad?
    And how much product did you use on the pad?
    Was it new pads or pads you have used before? If used before do you think you got them clean enough?
    What prep work did you do before you started to polish?
    Did you work in the shade or in a garage or in the sun?

Many questions but it could be different things that caused the dusting.
    The paint was in great shape it was a 2013-14 Altima retired driver garage kept.
    I just did a single swirl on the pad per instructions (I think that's what the bottle said).
    3-4 passes and used 6 pads total so hood, roof/trunk lid, and then fender/door
    At least two were brand new and I thought I got them clean enough but possibly not
    Wash with megs hyper wash two bucket and two mitts, dried and used a griots clay mitt with speed shine
    Left overnight in garage then started the next morning when it was around 70 in the garage

Another poster said probably had speed too high for that product while using a g21 and it caused the product to be overworked and dried out on me

The car turned out looking great but after seeing so many people say they had no dusting I figured I did something wrong and it's best to ask people who know more than I (I can admit when I am in over my head lol).

Thanks for the help and any other suggestions I am welcome to hear them

Sent from my PH-1 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

You did a great job and followed instructions well. Can be that is was a little high speed on the 21mm. Next pay attention when you see it starts to dust. If it dries up on you when you polishing it's to the end of the buffing cycle. So look at when the dust starts to fling off the pad. The circle amount of product I do when I start with a fresh pad. The second section I use to only apply 3-4 dots or pea sized drops. It's important to clean the pad between sections or every two sections. A brush or an air compressor to keep them clean when polished a section out.

Post Thanks / Like

I just used this today on a hood and roof. I got a 2oz sample from a previous order. Used with a Flex 3401. I was rather impressed. When I use a one step, I prefer gloss over 100% correction. HD Speed has been my go to and we all know how awesome it is. I did use speed on the rest of the vehicle so I was able to compare the two. I felt the BF has just a hair better cut while still finishing down just as good as speed. On one spot I did 8 section passes just to see how long it can be worked. That was not an issue and would have been able to keep going. Zero dust while working outside in the sun. Wasn’t direct sun but the panel was still warmish from the suns rays. It smells great. While that is not important, anytime a product smells good, I feel it makes the working experience more enjoyable. Wipe off was a breeze. I did not get 100% correction but that wasn’t the goal on this job. The goal was to improve the paint as much as possible with a true one step product.

If I had to compare it to Megs 166 I would say it doesn’t cut as well but definitely finishes much better. I feel 166 leaves some slight micro-marring and lacks in the gloss department a hair. I prefer the better finish when using an AIO.

All said and done I will be ordering a bottle. I ha e been seeing about 2.5 - 3 months durability from Speed. So if the BF last as long or longer, it’s a winner in my books.

I know I’m a bit late to the party in this thread but I wanted to share my experience.
    Jim

11. Thanks Eldorado2k, Frank70, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Frank70, SWETM liked this post
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast