autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying towels: is the PFM by Griot's still the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hum...

I have tried about 5 different drying towels over the years. Only one I did not like was the Cobra ones I purchased from Autogeek. I cannot remember the exact name but they are not actually towels. They are like thick foamlike pads. I purchased 5 of them one only used them once. Despised how they feel.

Other than that, I have seen no difference better using a normal microfiber towel or a drying microfiber towel besides the fact drying ones are bigger and hold much more water. I have purchased some at walmart and they worked just as well as specialty ones.

I am very curious to know what difference you see using the GG ones? Is it in the way they release water when you wring them? Do they absorb better? Are they softer?

You want to know what the difference is between the PFM and a “regular” MF? The difference is they hold more water than any towel I have ever used. They are extremely well made and are very durable. Ya you can use a regular MF to dry a vehicle, but how long will it take? Will the surface be 100% dry in one pass like the PFM? Nope! I probably have more MF’s than most and I can use damn near any towel that’s out there to dry a vehicle and I always reach for a PFM first. For the record, as far as drying towels go, I own Guzzlers, TRC dry me a river, CarPro DMC, Gyeon silks, Twistress, TRC Pluffles, AG Big Blue, GG Wooly Mammoth, Water Sprite, many UK chamois, Absorber, and some other ones that I’m forgetting at the moment.
    To sum it up, I believe the PFM is the best performing drying towel on the market currently.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few small Griots PFM drying towels and they are ok.

If there is a lot of water on the car it will be over saturated before if finish.

The same as with my big waffle weave towels, the only difference is that with the big waffles is that I have many more clean sides to go to. With the PFM I have two sides, for the whole car.

Condensing the surface area and only have two sides to dry with makes me feel that these towels are not as safe as using something larger with more clean sides to go to. Yes the PFMs have a deeper nap, but does the dirt actually move down into the nap and not just hang out on the surface.

Does this not scare anyone else?

Yeh, I know...a clean vehicle has no dirt, but in reality my towels always find some.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so those can get the surface perfectly dry. That is nice. I usually have a little water remaining after the wipedown. Not a lot, just a very thin film that evaporates quickly after I am done wiping. This might be due to the drying aid I use, or maybe not.

Will keep those towels in mind when I place my next order. In fact I just added one to my buy list

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    Anyone know of Autopias 25% off coupon? Did I miss it
    July kickoff sale is still going on...25% off + 6.95 flat rate shipping

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Ok so those can get the surface perfectly dry. That is nice. I usually have a little water remaining after the wipedown. Not a lot, just a very thin film that evaporates quickly after I am done wiping. This might be due to the drying aid I use, or maybe not.

Will keep those towels in mind when I place my next order. In fact I just added one to my buy list
    Right on. If the PFM doesn’t wow you, I’ll buy it off you and pay the shipping from Canada to California.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    You need to sign up for their email list to receive notifications of sales and to obtain some of the coupon codes.

Not every sale is listed on the Autopia home page. They were running a free shipping promo (which was listed on the home page), but had also sent out an email with the 25% off + free shipping to their email subscribers.

To play the game correctly, you should sign up for the email lists of AG, ACC, DI, BLACKFIRE, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and M37. Take advantage of the price matching policies and you will never have to overpay.
    I do have their emails, well get their emails. The only ones I got were 15% off and the one today with 25% off but shipping kills the deal. I dont need anything else, unless it would balance out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I have a few small Griots PFM drying towels and they are ok.

If there is a lot of water on the car it will be over saturated before if finish.

The same as with my big waffle weave towels, the only difference is that with the big waffles is that I have many more clean sides to go to. With the PFM I have two sides, for the whole car.

Condensing the surface area and only have two sides to dry with makes me feel that these towels are not as safe as using something larger with more clean sides to go to. Yes the PFMs have a deeper nap, but does the dirt actually move down into the nap and not just hang out on the surface.

Does this not scare anyone else?

Yeh, I know...a clean vehicle has no dirt, but in reality my towels always find some.
    So you find your PFM's to be over-saturated after use?

One large one can dry my entire full-sized truck, and just feel damp afterward.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes derass liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think im going to try the Griots PFM/Sonax towels or the Gyeon Silk towels. Not sure which yet.

Kind of a stupid question, do you dry certain areas first or just go top down? Do you use a dryer or leaf blower first then finish with a towel? Drying is my least favorite out of about everything. I am usually running around trying to dry before the sun dries it. I don't have a lot of shade, but I try to wash in the mornings or late evenings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are jerks. Just spent another $60 at AG thanks to your rave reviews and empiricism.

Seriously, this forum is awesome. Long-time reader, occasional poster, I've learned about the following products here:
    -Flex polishers
    -Menzerna polishes, supplanted now by 3D HD Speed, 505, etc.
    -Collinite waxes, supplaned by Sonax PNS
    -Sonax wheel cleaner (still King)
    -303 Aerospace Protectant (still King)
    -Meg's #62 car shampoo (still King)
    -too much else to name

Keep it up, jerks!

Cheers,
    John

12. Likes PaulMys, JustJesus, Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Drying towels: is the PFM by Griot's still the best?

Quote Originally Posted by DEwalt View Post

Kind of a stupid question, do you dry certain areas first or just go top down? Do you use a dryer or leaf blower first then finish with a towel?
    Yes, personally if we’re talking Large PFM [which is what I use] I 1st fold the dry towel in half and go along each side of the vehicle “matador style” meaning holding the corners of the folded towel and gently dragging it along the vertical panel and following it up with a broad wipe across any areas that were missed with the initial wipe. [usually the lower half of the doors and the pillar above the windows]

Once the sides have been dried, I either lay and drag the now damp towel across the hood, or sometimes I’ll just to broad wipes and dry it that way. [IMO either way is effective and safe]

Next is the trucklid. Lay and drag, same for the the rear of the vehicle, but I don’t let my best drying towel dry the bumpers or rocker panels, I have dedicated lesser quality drying towels for those duties.

Roof is last, followed by blower duty with a different drying towel i.e. waffle weave or small PFM. I don’t ever dry the glass with my drying towels because glass/rubber window trim tends to hold alot of dirt and I don’t want my drying towels getting that dirty, especially after just 1 use.

I forgot to mention the use of a good squeegee as sort of a rough draft drying of the windows before starting any the drying process. This also prevents any possible water spots, which seems to easily plague glass more than anything if you allow it.

Sometimes on my own vehicles I’ll use the blower before towel drying, that way you only have to towel dry once. Using the blower 1st is fine, as long as your lsp is solid and your paint is water fearing... Otherwise it’s best to towel dry 1st, and blower 2nd.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast