autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Mille vs 3401 - UPDATED Thoughts

So after my Initial Thoughts were less than impressive based on using the Mille vs my Flex 3401 I sat back and looked at what the options were. After sinking $400 into it I had no choice but to try the Rupes Pads in order to see if it would be less grabby and more to my liking. I ordered 6 of the Rupes Mille Ultra Fine White Foam Pad - 5.5" and 6 Rupes Mille Fine Yellow Foam Pad - 5.5" Today I had an opportunity to corrected a badly sun damaged and swirled out BMW M5 that had 15 years of Sunshine life in Florida and decided to incorporate both the Flex 3401 with LC Purple and Blue wool pads and the Rupes Mille with white polishing pads.

What I found is the Rupes did indeed RUN SMOOTHER and not at all grabby with their polishing pads. Contrast this to running it last week with the LC Hybrid Force Pads where it wasn't much different than my Flex 3401. It works just fine with them mind you, but it was not as smooth nor easy at I had hoped.

So now in the end, hindsight 20/20, as a Flex User, I should have just stayed with that system and not had to re-invest in the Rupes Pad System. However, thinking it through I'm glad I stayed with the Flex for a couple reasons.

• Trying something new never hurts.
    • I have my Mille set up to run 5.5" pads where on the Flex I run 6" Pads
    • The Mille has a smaller orbit and while it's only 3mm smaller it's VERY Noticable and allows me to get just about right up against any trim or moldings whereas the Flex with Hybrid Force Pads is no where near as easy to finesse into these areas
    • The Mille runs in the opposite direct which I found helped give my arms a rest. Compounding in one direction and controlling the force one way, then switching to the opposite hand grip and rotation kept me feeling fresh through the polishing phase.

Other points worth noting about the Mille are that it is quieter than the Flex. I've not measured decibels between the two but it is less harsh sounding at least. My point about it being "taller" still stands as does my opinion on the other ergonomics of the unit pointed out in the previous thread. All in all it's not a perfect unit and again, I still give a big edge to the Flex 3401 overall, I still find the Mille Enjoyable now and a tool that I will keep in my cabinet.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes jdgamble, SWETM, dlc95, Aaryn NZ, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mille vs 3401 - UPDATED Thoughts

As a further follow up, I jumped in a bit deeper and ordered up a couple of the 5.5" Rupes Coarse Wool Pads to pair up with CarPro Clear Cut. Normally I do all my cutting with LC Purple Wool and Clear cut the Flex 3401 so I'm interested to see if with their wool pad on the Mille if I can get a bit more efficiency out of things. It does spin faster and has more orbits and thus if I can save even one pass or get better corrections on the passes I do make, combined that could translate into measurable savings which equals time which equals money!

I also added in some of their UltraFine Polish to pair up with the White Polish pads. After using clear cut and purple wool there's hardly any hazing but it's still there and just a few passes with a polish brings everything to perfection. Curious to see how their polish performs against the likes of Gyeon's Primer and CarPro's Essence. The latter has some fillers which I love having as on dark colors it really creates some depth. That said, I'm always looking at refining things through better products.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your update on the comparison. I am a Flex 3401 user and love it. I put ear plugs in when I am using that DA. But I used it last night on a very scratched up MB 300 and IMO no other DA could have repaired it as quick as the Flex. But that being said, IMO the Flex is loud henceforth,, ear plugs. When I use my mini/LSP DA the PC7424XP I use no ear plugs.

The Flex 3401 is sledge hammer and just corrects like crazy.

Again, thank you for your opinon.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

6. Likes dlc95, Aaryn NZ, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you did not have any of them before. Which one do you hold on to between the 3401vrg and Mille if you where to chose? Or it's maybe to soon to tell till you have tested compounding with the mille too.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the Rupes pads on the Flex, to see if there any improvements?

Post Thanks / Like

I always use earplugs with my 3401 too. It's very noisy and my ears ring if I don't use hearing protection. I am still in the learning phase with the Mark II. I think I prefer the forced rotation. If I don't hold the Rupes just right, it stalls. You've gotta be on your toes, for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    If you did not have any of them before. Which one do you hold on to between the 3401vrg and Mille if you where to chose? Or it's maybe to soon to tell till you have tested compounding with the mille too.
    No need for me to wait. I would choose the flex. Ergonomics are better. That said some users might not like the reverse rotation. My plan is to use them both.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

11. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Today I dove a bit deeper into the Rupes System as I've committed to giving the Mille a good workout. Ordered up the Rupes UHS Easy Gloss system including 6 of the 6" pads. So far for my one-step polish jobs that require the removal of say medium level swirls I'm using Meg's Ultimate Polish and either a green or orange LC Hybrid Pad on my Flex. I used to do a lot of AIO jobs but with Gyeon CanCoat I've all but eliminated them so now I'm interested in seeing if the UHS Polish and Pads can make my life a bit easier and yield as good if not better results.

13. Likes SWETM, Powerman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The UHS is pretty good. I started with a pad or two and a smaller bottle. Shortly after trying it a couple of times, I bought the 1L bottle and more pads.

15. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What size wool pads fit and what size do I want to use with the Mille for 20" ski boat? I am about to place an order. Thanks.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast