autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I never liked gear driven polishers.

Great review, Joe. Thanks posting the great pics too.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I concur. I had been a user of the Makita BO6040 and FLEX at one time. I kept the Makita, but hardly used it. Usually only when trying to get the most out of an AIO job. It was just too much effort. I'd rather correct with a rotary. I got to try the Mille at a detail supply store here in Raleigh 2 weeks ago. They have a counter top that is painted a dark metallic blueish-black color and then has like 100 microns of clear coat on top to test polishers on.

The Mille did not fight me at all and it really glided across the panel with next to no wobble. I did not feel the need for a death grip at all and was able to hold it quite lightly. It did not take much effort to control any walking action. I tried it with the Mille pads and also the long-throw pads. It still works really good with the long throw pads. So that could be an option when working on contoured panels to use the thicker long throw pads.

Definitely got me thinking about buying one. I've been saving my pennies for a Nano Ibrid kit, but that $600 price tag still turns me off considering the amount of use it would get. I may just use that money on the Mille and some pads instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I concur. I had been a user of the Makita BO6040 and FLEX at one time. I kept the Makita, but hardly used it. Usually only when trying to get the most out of an AIO job. It was just too much effort. I'd rather correct with a rotary. I got to try the Mille at a detail supply store here in Raleigh 2 weeks ago. They have a counter top that is painted a dark metallic blueish-black color and then has like 100 microns of clear coat on top to test polishers on.

The Mille did not fight me at all and it really glided across the panel with next to no wobble. I did not feel the need for a death grip at all and was able to hold it quite lightly. It did not take much effort to control any walking action. I tried it with the Mille pads and also the long-throw pads. It still works really good with the long throw pads. So that could be an option when working on contoured panels to use the thicker long throw pads.

Definitely got me thinking about buying one. I've been saving my pennies for a Nano Ibrid kit, but that $600 price tag still turns me off considering the amount of use it would get. I may just use that money on the Mille and some pads instead.
    Don't waste your money on the ibrid, get the mille. Dumbest idea in the world to have a 12mm throw with such small pads. Defeats the purpose.
    '03 Corvette Z06

4. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Don't waste your money on the ibrid, get the mille. Dumbest idea in the world to have a 12mm throw with such small pads. Defeats the purpose.
    I have mixed views on mine. I rarely use it as a DA but rather mainly as a small rotary. I have on occasion brought it out to correct random marks like where my kids my rub the car with a back pack, etc but even the, it’s just as easy to wipe out the bigger buffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, looks like I'll be buying a Mille too. Thanks AGO!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Thanks for an honest opinion.

I have a co-worker that owns a motorcycle repair shop with a group of buddies. They are quite busy and get asked about detailing the bikes all the time. The guy I know is always passing on the detail work since he doesn't have the time. He is familiar with the work I do on cars so he is always asking if I would be willing to work on the bikes as sub-contract work for a small finder's fee like $25. He said he can bring me at least 1 bike a week. I just thought the Nano Ibrid would be an essential tool to use on bikes. I have a heavy duty Dremel Flex shaft tool that has like 1.5 hp and a regular Dremel tool with the right angle accessory with 1" and 2" backing plates with shaft, which I use in tight areas, so maybe I can get away with that. I see the Nano Ibrid being useful for side mirrors, louvres, and recesses in the bumpers on cars, but not much more than that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a co-worker that owns a motorcycle repair shop with a group of buddies. They are quite busy and get asked about detailing the bikes all the time. The guy I know is always passing on the detail work since he doesn't have the time. He is familiar with the work I do on cars so he is always asking if I would be willing to work on the bikes as sub-contract work for a small finder's fee like $25. He said he can bring me at least 1 bike a week. I just thought the Nano Ibrid would be an essential tool to use on bikes. I have a heavy duty Dremel Flex shaft tool that has like 1.5 hp and a regular Dremel tool with the right angle accessory with 1" and 2" backing plates with shaft, which I use in tight areas, so maybe I can get away with that. I see the Nano Ibrid being useful for side mirrors, louvres, and recesses in the bumpers on cars, but not much more than that.
    I got the ibrid back when it came out using some discounted gift certs and the now defunct Connect program over at Autopia and it wound up being like... $375? I have enjoyed it for polishing smaller areas, I like the brushes it came with for trim/interiors and it's kind of just fun to use, but evaluating it at full price... meh. Ever since Griot's released the specific 3'' bp for the GG6 I reach for that most of the time. There has to be a TINY area to make me use the ibrid.

10. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It does come in handy. Used mine on areas of my brothers Harley recently. I got my money's worth on the ibrid. It has it's place like everything else. Is it a must have? Depends on who you speak with.

12. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my Makita PO5000C and still perfer it over mille..to be honest , I simply don't have the hands on hours with the Mille like o have with 3401 and PO5000C.. just didn't demo and a scratch removal test.

As for Nano..allot of us purchased it for 2 reasons... eccentric swap-ability..and cordless feature
    I came in and shortly liked theb1in BP in 12mm mode
    ..any more it just stays in 1in BP rotary mode..

If i were to do it again, I'd go Proxxom nano polisher instead and deal with cord.

Other than that
    Awesome review Joe..always an entertaining/funny guy while spitting out experiences and knowledge.

14. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    I love my Makita PO5000C and still perfer it over mille..to be honest , I simply don't have the hands on hours with the Mille like o have with 3401 and PO5000C.. just didn't demo and a scratch removal test.

As for Nano..allot of us purchased it for 2 reasons... eccentric swap-ability..and cordless feature
    I came in and shortly liked theb1in BP in 12mm mode
    ..any more it just stays in 1in BP rotary mode..

If i were to do it again, I'd go Proxxom nano polisher instead and deal with cord.

Other than that
    Awesome review Joe..always an entertaining/funny guy while spitting out experiences and knowledge.
    What’s the orbit mm of the proxxom?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast