autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping AIO’s with Sealant - Basic test

Thanks for testing these Eldo! Only thing I noticed that may have caused an issue with HD Speed was how much product you used? Just curious, how many section passes did you use with each product?

That hologram looking product haze that was left behind with HD Speed in your test is what I've experienced with D166. More recently, I had the same issue with Jescar AIO Polish & wax. I think it's the sealant in some AIO's that is being left behind because I've noticed right when I hit it with wolfgang uber it's easily removed. I used to think D166 was leaving behind a ton of micro marring because of the haze that wouldn't wipe off with a dry microfiber.

That's a big part of why I prefer HD Speed & BF 1-step. For me, even though it's easy to use a quick detailer to inspect the finish, HD Speed has always been the least likely to leave behind any of that cloudy sealant residue.

Is there a name for the haze AIO's can leave behind that doesn't get fully buffed off the paint with a dry microfiber towel? I feel like dlc95 probably knows the technical term for this phenomenon.

2. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shocked by speed, I've left it on for 24hrs in direct sunlight with no issues at all and wipes right off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Thanks for testing these Eldo! Only thing I noticed that may have caused an issue with HD Speed was how much product you used? Just curious, how many section passes did you use with each product?

That hologram looking product haze that was left behind with HD Speed in your test is what I've experienced with D166. More recently, I had the same issue with Jescar AIO Polish & wax. I think it's the sealant in some AIO's that is being left behind because I've noticed right when I hit it with wolfgang uber it's easily removed. I used to think D166 was leaving behind a ton of micro marring because of the haze that wouldn't wipe off with a dry microfiber.

That's a big part of why I prefer HD Speed & BF 1-step. For me, even though it's easy to use a quick detailer to inspect the finish, HD Speed has always been the least likely to leave behind any of that cloudy sealant residue.

Is there a name for the haze AIO's can leave behind that doesn't get fully buffed off the paint with a dry microfiber towel? I feel like dlc95 probably knows the technical term for this phenomenon.
    There’s a possibility I may have over worked it... Ya know how sometimes you can sort of psych yourself out when you’re limited to a narrow test strip.

Btw I immediately noticed the D166 try to begin to sweat on the panel.. But a couple of more passes and it quikly resolved itself.

5. Thanks mwoywod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMak97008 View Post
    You left them on for up to 2 hours...why? I'm being curious as I normally apply the D166 and then nearly immediately remove it...maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    I was hungry, so I jumped in the other car and went for a breakfast burrito.
    Plus the people asked to give the AIO’s every advantage to bond to the max.

7. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, JMak97008, Goonie75, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Just guessing, I understand people often polish the whole car with AIOs and wipe off everything when complete. This would simulate that kind of use, I think.
    Is that because you can move more quickly over the car and get it done faster or is does leaving it on increase it's effectiveness? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Is that because you can move more quickly over the car and get it done faster or is does leaving it on increase it's effectiveness? Thanks!
    Depends, some need to sit for a min or so to cure, 3d says to let it sit for at least 5 mins to properly bond. McKees paint sealant gets glossier if left longer

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

10. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For Speed and One Step, I believe it’s mainly done for speed of application and because they both come off so easy regardless. As Cruz mentions, some pure sealants will benefit from length of time, but I don’t believe that makes a notable difference for these AIOs (unless someone responds that I’m wrong).

12. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Used Britemax AIO topped with UPGP. Mild abrasive polish and super easy sealant. Turned out great.

14. Thanks howardpurchase thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    For Speed and One Step, I believe it’s mainly done for speed of application and because they both come off so easy regardless. As Cruz mentions, some pure sealants will benefit from length of time, but I don’t believe that makes a notable difference for these AIOs (unless someone responds that I’m wrong).
    Actually, if you are looking to correct light defects, Speed is not as "speedy" as say, HD Polish. The perceived (and for some, realized) advantage is the correction AND protection in one application. The arm speed and section passes would be the same.

With Speed, it has been stated from others, and I have found myself, that letting it cure on the surface allows the Montan wax to more fully adhere.

That being said, I always top Speed with a wax regardless.

Let the arguments begin, (yet again) as to why one would not just use a Polish then Wax.......................... To that I say: Save your thoughts. It's beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes mwoywod, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently polished with Menzerna, and then went to Blackfires new paint sealant. I put the sealant on with a black Lake Country foam pad. It wiped off very nicely and looked good. This is on my black Denali work truck that I had applied McKees paint coating on last year. I wasn't real impressed with the paint coating, both from an endurance standpoint and also resistance to spotting. The sealant seems to look better and be more resistant to spotting, both water spotting and from bird crap. It still is beading nice and washing easy. In my opinion, the paint color has a big effect on all this. My Denali is black, my personal truck is white, coated with Carpro. The difference in ease of maintenance isn't even comparable. There is never a water spot on the white truck. I coated my wife's car, which is gray, and it never shows any spots either. For me, the color will help me determine what process and what product I will be using.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast