autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Broken Backing Plate on FLEX 3401? Need for repair?

Broken Backing Plate on FLEX 3401? Need for repair?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

The reality is, most people that contact me found me via an article I've written or a reply I've written on this forum. The thing is, instead of figuring out that the whole reason they are contacting me is because they found me via an article or answer I wrote on the forum that they to should bring their question to the forum because not only will that help them.... but it will help a future "them". If I answer everything in a private e-mail or other touch point, no one would find and contact me. It's a cycle or pattern that repeats as long as everything is shared in the public domain.

The above is kind of wordy but re-read it slowly and it will make sense.

So I get an e-mail asking,

Hi Mike ,

Today I am use Flex VRG 3401 Speed 5 , downward pressure 20 kg . For goal to Level Flat surface on black panel soft paint.

But unfortunately black seal on backing plate is broken. What is seriously damage ?

What need to repair ?

Hope you bring me advice and thank you for respond.

-Hanafi

Great questions Hanafi

First - The backing plate is fine and there's no repair needed. In fact now that you've chewed off the little lip of plastic it can never happen again. So re-assemble the backing plate but before you do APPLY SOME OIL TO THE FELT RING.

Then, moving forward, once in a while remove the backing plate and re-lubricate the felt ring. You can even pull the felt ring out of the aluminum housing and flip it over. Then lubricate that side. Down the road repeat. Keep the felt ring lubricated, ESPECIALLY if you use this tool a lot and press down hard a LOT.

I'm not sure why FLEX does not recommend applying some form of lubricating oil or grease to the felt ring before using the tool or why they don't oil her up before she leaves the factory.

But what I've seen in my life is when you don't lubricate the felt ring you get what you just experienced. Here's the picture you e-mailed to me.

Hang tight, let me get to resources for you that show you what to do.

2. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Broken Backing Plate on FLEX 3401? Need for repair?

First resource is free, it's my article I wrote in 2011 - if you do or did a little Googling you may have found it.

Lubricating the Felt Ring on the Flex 3401

First there is no official recommendation from Flex on this procedure but most owners of the Flex 3401 like to lubricate the Felt Ring to ensure there are no issues between it and the hard plastic backing material that it comes into contact with during operation.

For preventative maintenance reasons, it's okay to lubricate the felt ring after purchase and periodically depending upon how much use your Flex 3401 sees.

What to use?I went to NAPA and purchased some Air Tool Lubricant, (see picture), but any light machine oil should work including the traditional 3-in-1 Oil.

Here's the felt ring on the Flex 3401

Here I've placed some oil on my finger ...

and then spread it onto the felt ring...

You can see the oil penetrate into the felt to lubricate it and from here it will migrate through the felt...

You could also place some drops around the felt ring and then spread it and work it in using your finger...

This brand new Flex 3401 is ready to go to work for a new project next week...

END OF ARTICLE

My comments....

Note the pictures have not disappeared like SO MANY pictures have disappeared in other people's posts, threads, articles.

Notice how the above information is "formatted", that is headlines, text, pictures, headlines, text pictures, headlines, text then pictures. This is called formatting. It makes it easier for you to read it makes it a lot easier for you to "understand" what to do and how to do it.

You cannot do this on Facebook.

4. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And here's two resources where you will find the above article,

How to use the Flex 3401 for Show Car Detailing

On Autogeek.net

How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher
    For both Production Detailing & Show Car Detailing

6. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And here's an electronic version...

ebook - How to use the FLEX XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher for both Show Car Detailing and Production Detailing

The paperback book on the FLEX 3401 is now available as an e-book for fast easy download.

Only $14.95

Click this link to get your copy...

How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher

8. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Hi Hanafi,

I have replied to your e-mail to me with the link to this thread where I answered you on the forum. So now I've answered your questions and all of the hundreds and potentially thousands of people that will read this into the future.

Most people find me via this forum and the in-depth, detailed answers and articles I post that also include pictures and videos as well as links to even MORE information. It's a pattern that repeats. People find me via the forum but instead of joining the forum, (which is free), and asking me their questions on the forum they send them to me via e-mail. That's fine but I'm not going to type out detailed answers for one set of eye balls.

This forum is the most powerful tool in any detailers tool chest. Joining is free.

Click here to join the Autogeek Car Detailing Discussion Forum

If you no longer use a computer like half of the world, then access and post to this forum using the TapaTalk App.

Click here to get TapaTalk

Hope that helps and "yes" lube up that felt ring and slap that backing plate back onto the tool, tighten down the bolt and get back to buffing.

10. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And here's the reply via e-mail

Hello Mr. Mike ,

Great Guru are present when needed.

Thank you.

Me?

I'd join this forum and simply interact with me here.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree about formatting. I try and do that.

Thanks for reminding me I need to lubricate my felt ring. I try and do it before any job, but it's been a year since I've done any "job" - So time to lubricate!

And that's a great book to have on the Flex. Just like your other books.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Absolutely agree about formatting. I try and do that.
    If the goal is to get people to read your writing, formatting helps them.

Thanks for reminding me I need to lubricate my felt ring. I try and do it before any job, but it's been a year since I've done any "job" -

So time to lubricate!
    Same here.

I'm starting to pack for the Indianapolis, Indiana and Windsor, New Jersey Roadshow Classes and one of the things I'll do before packing the FLEX 3401 tools is remove the backing plates and turn all the felt rings over and then lube them.

Will probably take me 2-3 hours easy but it's important.

And that's a great book to have on the Flex. Just like your other books.
    Why thank you very much, I really appreciate the compliment. It's a LOT Of work to write a book and make sure it's accurate with all the experts in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Will probably take me 2-3 hours easy but it's important.
    Can't believe you do so much of that grunt work yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Why thank you very much, I really appreciate the compliment. It's a LOT Of work to write a book and make sure it's accurate with all the experts in the world.

I believe you. Writing term papers in college, forum threads, and love letters, I have an idea as to the amount of work that can go into a book.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, do you want us to refer to you as the "Great Guru" now? I was going to go with "Omniscient Guru"

16. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast