autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I have been doing part time job plus detailing for 5 years. This year I might go full time detailing.

My typical week is 2 to 3 days at my regular job, and 2 to 3 days detailing. The days I am detailing as very physical, I am mobile and work alone so on most detail that is a 8 to 14 hours day for me with almost no breaks.

This year I decided to hire someone to give me a hand. If it works out, I may go full time.

What you have to remember is that detailing is very taxing on your body. I don't think you could work 40 hours plus 2 days of detailing for very long unless you are an athlete and are in peak physical condition. When I first started detailing it would take me a day of rest to recover from the detailing. Now I am used to it and I merelly feel tired or sore on the next day but still can fonction normally. I do like to have a day off between details if I can. With help that will likelly be much less taxing.

So my advice, if you can, ease into it. See if you can cut 1 or 2 days from your normal job and add 1 or 2 days detailing at first. As demand grows you can cut an other day at your work to do detailing and so on. Not all jobs allows for this but if you can make it work with yuor employer, that is the best way to do it IMO. Not only do you have more financial security this way, but you don't have the stress of accepting any detailing job that comes your way. It gives you the option of choosing what detailing jobs you want to do.
    Unfortunetely I can't really do that for now at all. Just got hired at Canadian Gov and in probation\ for a year.

But I do go the gym and I'm loosing some good weight and getting fit so I'm sure working on a Saturday maybe 2 clients, and Sunday rest day seems really nice.

And nice you're in Montreal I'm in Ottawa/Gatineau.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

I was born in Ottawa and lived in Gatineau (Hull area) half of my life. Moved to Montreal 27 years ago

Working 7 days a week is not something I would want to do. But if you feel up to it, go for it. When you start out, make sure to give yourself more time than you expect to do the details. There are always unknowns when it's not your own vehicles and people always downplay the condition in hopes of getting a better price.

Post Thanks / Like

I just went full time with my detailing business after retiring as a LEO after 30 years. I did it part time but now I am committed to more advertising etc. The good thing is that this won’t have to pay the bills and I can enjoy it. I don’t plan on doing every single day but a couple of times a week and I will be happy. I am 53 and you soon learn that it can be physically demanding when trying to juggle this and life.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

4. Likes TTQ B4U, PaulMys, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I just went full time with my detailing business after retiring as a LEO after 30 years. I did it part time but now I am committed to more advertising etc. The good thing is that this won’t have to pay the bills and I can enjoy it. I don’t plan on doing every single day but a couple of times a week and I will be happy. I am 53 and you soon learn that it can be physically demanding when trying to juggle this and life.
    Congratulations on your retirement! Sounds like you have the perfect “retirement” job.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I work 50+ hours a week and detail on the weekends. As it's been said, you are you're own boss and can always decline a job if you want a weekend or two to yourself. I enjoy the luxury of taking on jobs I want (coatings/paint correction). It can be done, just be smart about the number of hours your working and after a while you will find the right balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the inpuit guys.

I will definitely do some detialing on the week end.

Just to get some clients, it's proving to be more difficult than I would have thought! Even just one.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

Just to get some clients, it's proving to be more difficult than I would have thought! Even just one.
    You have to continually sell yourself, for example anytime I saw someone with a nice car even at a gas station filling up Or something I would compliment how nice/clean/cool their car is and get an idea of how receptive they are. Then start asking if they maintain it themselves or if they have a detailed.....you can see where I am going with that. From there you can start selling yourself and letting them know what you can do for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
    You have to continually sell yourself, for example anytime I saw someone with a nice car even at a gas station filling up Or something I would compliment how nice/clean/cool their car is and get an idea of how receptive they are. Then start asking if they maintain it themselves or if they have a detailed.....you can see where I am going with that. From there you can start selling yourself and letting them know what you can do for them

Thanks for the idea. I really haven't seen myself selling in person due to the internet. And everyone in my entourage, since I'm young 20 years old, own niceish cars but can't afford to have them pro detailed so there isn't any point. Even at 30$ they won't pay.

I'll definitely start talking with people then.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

Thanks for the idea. I really haven't seen myself selling in person due to the internet. And everyone in my entourage, since I'm young 20 years old, own niceish cars but can't afford to have them pro detailed so there isn't any point. Even at 30$ they won't pay.

I'll definitely start talking with people then.
    Practice with your friends (face to face) or family. The more you do it and start learning how to talk to people the easier it gets. Even though they might not have intentions of getting the car detailed or can’t afford it at least you can play around and practice with them and get their input on whether you’re being too pushy or if you seem like you’re not confident enough.

The Internet is so impersonal it is hard to sell your abilities because it’s all data. For example if you see a guy with a nice Mercedes Benz and you tell the guy “hey that’s a beautiful Benz” and the guy says thanks I love this car! You just might have a new customer!

The internet is extremely useful obviously but it will never compare to word of mouth recommendations and face to face sales IMO. But I am biased because I have always enjoyed talking to people. Anytime I had a customer that received a strong recommendation from someone they trusted I almost always got the job whereas online produces a lot of tire kickers

David

11. Likes TheMidnightNarwhal, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting client is very hard when you first start out.

Here are a few tips:

1. Contact everyone you know who has a car. Tell them you need practice and you can offer your service to them at half price. You could go as low as just covering the cost of your products if they are not
    willing to pay half price. When you detail their cars, take a lot of before and after pictures. Use these on your website to build a portfolio. A trick here, the dirtier the car before, the better the pictures will look after, so try to do that after it rains or something

2. Get yourself a website and facebook page if you have not done so already. These are almost free advertizing, and if you make it well, it will give people who are visual and idea of what you can do for them.

3. Get yourself business cards from a place that make large orders at low prices. For example, I got 10,000 cards for about 150$. It is probably a lot cheaper in the US. Leave a bunch of cards everywhere you can.
    Many grocery stores and other places have billboard or even card holders for their clients to advertise for free. Use it.

4. Post your work on social media and ask your friends to like and share your posts.

Slowly your business will grow, but it's not an instant thing.

13. Thanks TheMidnightNarwhal thanked for this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast