autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

2. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliams4296 View Post
    Wow. Ok you win.BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike PhillipsLol.

Post Thanks / Like

Well cwillianms4296 is the winner but 2004 is a long time ago. Great search effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's a video that shares product info and application directions...

Great writer up Mike I Love the BF coating & the BF booster I have two bottles of BF sealant on order I can't wait to try it.
    Is the BF sealant layerable and can it be used over top of waxes and sealants?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

In his post he mentioned “final wipe”

In yours you said “layering”

I dunno... But this article seemed to fit the bill?

The Final Wipe
    The Final Wipe

That's a good article but not the one I was thinking of... just the other day ago I was wiping something off some paint and caught myself moving my hand fast - I thought about this article and then s-l-o-w-e-d down my hand movement and saw better results...

Thank you for cyber-digging it up and sharing it. Anyone reading this thread that has not read this article, take a moment to read through it.

Quote Originally Posted by 07rs View Post

That article does actually apply to the context of topics being discussed in this article. Thank you for cyber-digging it up and sharing it. Anyone reading this thread that has not read this article, take a moment to read through it.

Yeperdoo... that's the one I was thinking of... has to do with bonding, (how does a wax or sealant or even coating stick to a surface), and a handful of common sense... hard to believe that post I made in that thread, (another guy's thread), is now 14 year old.

Here's the more updated version of the above thread, "What's the deal with layering", I wrote this in 2010

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

Mike Phillips

Check your PMs

8. Thanks cwilliams4296 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I have what I think is an easy question but I haven't really been able to answer it in my reading. I recently bought a 2018 BMW X3 M40i and wanted to protect the paint as I have with my previous new car purchases. The penultimate step in that process has been the use of Blackfire Crystal Seal, which I have refreshed on a regular basis (I say penultimate because I have on occasion used Pinnacle Souveran wax over the Crystal Seal). I am now to the point in the process where I have given the X3 a single coat of the Crystal Seal.

A few days ago I logged on to Autogeek looking for some supplies and saw the BF SiO2 sealant which, from the description, would seem to be superior to the Crystal Seal in both longevity and shine.

I have ordered both the SiO2 sealant. I also ordered the BF paint prep which I assumed (rightly or wrongly) would be needed to remove the Crystal Seal to prepare the paint on the X3 for the application of the SiO2.

My question right now is do I need to do do any special preparation to apply the SiO2 to a clean car that has already had Crystal Seal applied to it?

In the article that Mike referred to above that relates to miscibility he alludes to the fact that using products from the same manufacturer my confer some degree of compatibility.

Perhaps I can apply the SiO2 over the Crystal Seal without using the Paint Prep? That would be the ideal situation, obviously, and would also mean that I could use the SiO2 sealant on my other cars that have had Crystal Seal used on them.

Advise very much welcome here.

Thanks in advance.

LarryS

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LarryS View Post

Hi all,
    Hi Larry,

Hope you don't mind, I edited your post and broke up the huge chunk of text by adding some breaks to make it easier to read and digest.

A few days ago I logged on to Autogeek looking for some supplies and saw the BF SiO2 sealant which, from the description, would seem to be superior to the Crystal Seal in both longevity and shine.

I have ordered both the SiO2 sealant. I also ordered the BF paint prep which I assumed (rightly or wrongly) would be needed to remove the Crystal Seal to prepare the paint on the X3 for the application of the SiO2.
    While none of us can shrink ourselves down to the atom level to walk around on our car's paint and look to see first hand if a previously applied product was removed by another product, my guess is that either a hand application or machine application, (orbital polisher with soft foam finishing pad), of the BLACKFIRE Paint Cleaner would remove whatever BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal was still on the surface since the last application. Remember, outside of ceramic coatings, conventional waxes and sealants wear-off as they are merely sacrificial barrier coatings.

So yeah... if you apply the BLACKFIRE Paint Cleaner to your car's finish it should remove everything off the surface and get you down to a fresh base of paint.

Are you working by hand or machine and if by machine, which machine?

My question right now is do I need to do do any special preparation to apply the SiO2 to a clean car that has already had Crystal Seal applied to it?
    Wash the car carefully, (as you should and probably already do), then dry it and then apply the SiO2 Coating.

In the article that Mike referred to above that relates to miscibility he alludes to the fact that using products from the same manufacturer my confer some degree of compatibility.
    That's a fairly meaty article considering I wrote it 14 years ago. That's also I "think" when I coined the term,

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

I see others use the above term but that's where it came from.

Perhaps I can apply the SiO2 over the Crystal Seal without using the Paint Prep? That would be the ideal situation, obviously, and would also mean that I could use the SiO2 sealant on my other cars that have had Crystal Seal used on them.

Advise very much welcome here.

Thanks in advance.

LarryS
    As long as you carefully wash the car first I think it would be perfectly fine to apply the SiO2 Spray Sealant onto the washed, dried clean paint surface.

I'd say try it to the hood or trunk lid of one car and make sure you're getting the results you want then go from there...

11. Thanks LarryS, RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes axel06, LarryS, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thanks very much for your response. The X3 is very clean. It's only about a week old and was carefully cleaned the day I brought it home. I plan on using a waterless wash (BF most likely) on it today and it will be garaged until I can put on the SiO2 (which is supposed to arrive tomorrow). Believe it or not, my goal is to make the new X3 look as good as my 3 year old World Rally Blue WRX. They sit side-by-side in the garage and the paint on the WRX, despite it being my primary winter vehicle, shines better than the one week old Phytonic Blue BMW. So I have to say I am mightily impressed by the result I've gotten with Crystal Seal. I will try the SiO2 on the BMW and see how it comes out. If it works as well as the Crystal Seal I'll be more than happy.

One final question. I have sometimes put a coat of Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Souverän wax on a day or so after the Crystal Seal. Am I adding to the protection/shine by doing so? Thanks again.

LarryS

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thanks very much for your response. The X3 is very clean. It's only about a week old and was carefully cleaned the day I brought it home. I plan on using a waterless wash (BF most likely) on it today and it will be garaged until I can put on the SiO2 (which is supposed to arrive tomorrow). Believe it or not, my goal is to make the new X3 look as good as my 3 year old World Rally Blue WRX. They sit side-by-side in the garage and the paint on the WRX, despite it being my primary winter vehicle, shines better than the one week old Phytonic Blue BMW. So I have to say I am mightily impressed by the result I've gotten with Crystal Seal. I will try the SiO2 on the BMW and see how it comes out. If it works as well as the Crystal Seal I'll be more than happy.

One final question. I have sometimes put a coat of Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Souverän wax on a day or so after the Crystal Seal. Am I adding to the protection/shine by doing so? Thanks again.

LarryS

OK. The SiO2 has arrived and has been used on the X3. Not sure if it gave me better results than the Crystal Seal in terms of shine, but it does look good. Durability - time will tell I guess. One small niggle is that, despite buffing twice with good microfiber towels, it is a bit streaky. Maybe I didn't wait long enough before removing, or waited too long? Can I buff this with my orbital polisher? If so, what would be the recommended pad and speed?

To further protect, I'd like to add another coat of something. One option, of course, is another coat of the SiO2. But this is my first time using this and I'm not sure what the recommendations are about multiple coats. I also have 2 standby products which I like very much - the BF Crystal Seal and Pinnacle Souverän wax. I've been very impressed with the results I've gotten over the last 5 years or so with the Crystal Seal and am leaning toward putting a finishing coat of that on the X3. It also has an advantage of being extremely easy to use and refresh. But I also very much like the Pinnacle. I find it very easy to apply and remove and it seems to give my WRX a really brilliant luster. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to proceed from here?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. The X3 is starting to get there!

LarryS

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast