autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating Recomendation

Good Sunday to everyone!

I would like to know if anyone has used CG Carbon Flex C9 Coating and has anything to compare it to.
    We are picking up a new lease car tomorrow, a VW Tiguan, white, and I was speaking to one of the salesmen who's into detailing and he told me about the C9.
    Said it was awesome, and really recommended it. I was going to use CarPro Cquartz UK, but he has me thinking. The C9 is kind of expensive, but that doesn't bother me too much. And is 30 ml enough to do the car and wheels?
    Additionally, I know I have to do the new car detail, as this car was sitting on the showroom floor, and has some light swirling. So a light polish is in order after all the regular prep for that as well.

Also, any tips or advice on what to expect when applying, as this is my first go at applying a coating. I know I can go to the detailing how to videos but figured I'd ask also.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Recomendation

I would go with the new CQUK 3.0 and polished with Essence.

30 ml would be enough to do the paint with 2 coats if you choose to go with a second coat. You may have a little left over for the face of the wheels. I had about 15 ml left of CQ TiO2 after doing 2 coats on my brothers 99 Tahoe. I would probably pick up the 50 ml bottle just to be safe. You may also want to consider getting the new topper Gliss as well.

If you are not ready to get into a coating like CQUK then Gyeon CanCoat would be a good product to start with. 6-9 months of protection and really easy to use. It has a coating like performance.

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

30 ml would be enough to do the paint with 2 coats if you choose to go with a second coat. You may have a little left over for the face of the wheels. I had about 15 ml left of CQ TiO2 after doing 2 coats on my brothers 99 Tahoe. I would probably pick up the 50 ml bottle just to be safe. You may also want to consider getting the new topper Gliss as well.

If you are not ready to get into a coating like CQUK then Gyeon CanCoat would be a good product to start with. 6-9 months of protection and really easy to use. It has a coating like performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot On! I agree +1

I use CanCoat for my wheels.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz, Three questions: 1-Is putting a coating on something that takes practice? Looking at the instructions for most coatings, the suede is wrapped around the block and coating applied to the suede, yes? I imagine a forehead light would be helpful in the process. 2-Two coats would double protection time? And 3-Obviously Essence with a light cutting pad, and still Essence with a heavier pad if the light pad won't do? VW paint is hard as hell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h8dirtycars View Post
    Thanks Guz, Three questions: 1-Is putting a coating on something that takes practice? Looking at the instructions for most coatings, the suede is wrapped around the block and coating applied to the suede, yes? I imagine a forehead light would be helpful in the process. 2-Two coats would double protection time? And 3-Obviously Essence with a light cutting pad, and still Essence with a heavier pad if the light pad won't do? VW paint is hard as hell.
    Once you start working with the coating and the suede applicator you will get the hang of it. You definitely want to have good lighting to make sure you remove all the excess once the product has begun to flash. The flash time is going to vary on the temperature and humidity. I would recommend using two towels. One to remove most of the excess and the other to give that final wipe to ensure everything is remove. You may need to use a couple more towels as you make your way around the vehicle.

In terms of wait time, 45-60 minutes between coats of CQUK and 4 hours if you decide to add Gliss. If you choose to just add something Reload, then you can do so 1 hour after the last coat of UK.

With Essence as you mentioned the test spot will tell you what the paint likes. I have used it with a polishing pad and it has worked well. I tend to use it as my finishing step if I have to do a 2 step process. So just keep this in mind if you do have to get a little more aggressive with another product and pad. I would recommend using a light wipedown with some sort of a prep spray to remove any residual polishing oils. I usually let Essence sit overnight after I have wiped it off, of course to let the SiO2 in it cure. I then come back with a light wipedown with Eraser or equivalent to mostly wipe off any light dust as most of the polishing oils will evaporate.

If you choose to go with CanCoat, then 1 hour in between coats is fine. I have this on my moms car and polished it out with Gyeon Primer Polish which is similar to Essence but without the filling ability. I have been maintaining it with Gyeon Cure every 2-3 months and it has been doing quite well.

9. Thanks h8dirtycars thanked for this post
    Likes Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again. I'm guessing that once I really inspect the car, I'm only going to polish the areas with swirls.

Also, what's your opinion of CG's claim that C9 will last up to 36 months? I'm guessing that's probably under optimal circumstances, garage kept, etc. This car is going to be outside, in the northeast winters.

Post Thanks / Like

I never used C9 so I have no idea how it performs. I would not buy into the durability as it is effected by the environment it is exposed too. For example those who live in harsh winter environments compared to someone like me who lives in sunny Southern California. Yes as you have mentioned if the car spends much of the time in the garage.

12. Thanks h8dirtycars thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never actually used C9. However, based solely on the track record of everything CG makes except their soaps and maybe the Nonsense APC, I wouldn't even bother. Nevermind at a kit cost of $149.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

14. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    Nevermind at a kit cost of $149.
    I agree on the cost. The CQUK 3.0 is half the cost and probably just as durable if the car is kept outside. From what I'm learning now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast