autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Jeweling Wax

If I'm gonna jewel I'm gonna use a polish
    Only two available is P&S envy(expensive) and Americana.

As for AIO have yet to find anything better then Shine Supply Burnout.

Post Thanks / Like

•HD Speed:

-How could a Cleaner-Sealant
    also be a Jeweling Wax?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post

To me it actually makes more sense that a "cleaner wax" would be non-abrasive and an "AIO" which cleans, polishes, and protects WOULD contain abrasives.
    Except for one thing.... since the car was invented, followed by car paint, followed by car polishes and waxes - there's never been any "Wax Police" or better yet, "Word Police" to govern and dictate what means what... it's too late in the game to change now... this is why you see company's call their sealants polishes and their polishes glazes.

That said, I think that making these terms interchangeable is a good thing and reduces confusion.
    That's how I use them in the real-world and in the cyber-world and in anything I write or any video. I try to remove the confusion but there's always enough other opinions out there to continue the confusion. I think after it's in a published book though there's a tick of credibility for one or the other directions. Anyone that disagrees of course can and should write a book.

Based on your definition of Jeweling Wax, I would think HD Speed could also be characterized as a jeweling wax?
    Yes. 3D HD Speed in my mind is more than a cleaner/wax due to the abrasive technology, it is a true jeweling wax.

4. Thanks mwoywod thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor, mwoywod liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

•HD Speed:

also be a Jeweling Wax?

Bob

Because I use the term "wax" as a generic term for anyting that can and is used to seal the paint.

I completely understand that a lot of people get all anal retentive about the words wax and sealant but I'm not going to do a TON of extra typing for the anal retentive.

I did cover this 8 years ago, in 2010 with the VERY EXHAUSTIVE article where I did my best to explain the difference between a wax or sealant that CLEANED and a wax or sealant that does NOT clean.

Posted to this forum on 02-03-2010, 02:26 PM

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax

And here's just an excerpt where I did go full anal retentive for the anal retentive....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

2- basic groups of car wax

Let me see if I can remove just a little bit of the confusion… There are two basic groups most car waxes and paint sealants fall into, these would be,

• Cleaner/waxes or Cleaner/Sealants
    • Finishing waxes or Finishing Sealants

A cleaner/wax or cleaning/sealant would offer some level of cleaning ability using either chemical cleaning agents, solvents and/or some type of abrasives and often times a combination of all three. Cleaner/Waxes are also referred to as One-Step products or All-In-One products. Cleaner/waxes can be used to restore neglected paint to good to excellent condition depending upon how bad of condition the paint is in and the cleaning ability or strength of the cleaning agents in the cleaner/wax.

A finishing wax or finishing sealant would not contain any ingredients with the intended ability to clean or abrade the paint. Products in this category should only be used on paint in excellent or brand new condition or neglected paints that have been previously cleaned and polished and thus restored to new or excellent condition.

Besides dividing products into two groups by whether they have the ability to clean the paint or not, paint protection products are also divided into two other groups or categories and that's car waxes or paint sealants.

Car Wax
    Contains some kind of naturally occurring waxy type substance, for example Carnauba wax.

Paint Sealant
    Made from synthetic or all man-made ingredients.

So from the above, we can have,

[INDENT]Cleaner/Waxes
    A product that cleans, polishes and protects and contains natural protection ingredients like Carnauba

Cleaner/Sealants
    A product that cleans, polishes and protects and uses all synthetic protection ingredients

Finishing Waxes
    A product that offers no cleaning ability with the focus on maximizing beauty with the protection based upon naturally occurring ingredients.

Finishing Sealants
    A product that offers no cleaning ability with the focus on maximizing beauty with the protection based upon synthetic ingredients.

Hybrids
    There's one more group into which waxes and sealant fall into and that would be the hybrid category. Hybrids contain a combination of both natural and synthetic ingredients.

If we use the loose definition above for car waxes and paint sealants, (For the wax group the primary protection ingredients are naturally occurring waxy substances and for the sealant group the primary protection ingredients are man-made or synthetic substances), then since hybrid products use a combination of both it would seem natural to group them and place them into their own category with both words, wax and sealant used to describe the category.

So yeah.... for everyone reading this into the future, while I try to be VERY specific in everything I say or write, sometimes the amount of extra typing it requires just to appease and please the 1% of us that wants clear and distinct separation between a product that uses a waxy substance to protect the paint and a product that uses some form of man-made substance to protect the paint can suffer or - type up their own articles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Because I use the term "wax" as a generic term for anyting that can and is used to seal the paint.
    I love the word wax too. If I had it my way I’d always say wax without stopping to think about it... However I do find myself thinking about what to call things when explaining to certain customers what exactly I’m going to do to their vehicles. My reason for it is what if they get to talking to someone they know or even another detailer and describe to them that I applied a “wax” to protect their daily driver. That other detailer could begin snickering about how I should have done better than protecting his vehicle with a measly “wax”

There’s alot people can find out on their own these days ya know. Average Joes can become quite informed on just about any subject if they research it enough. Or maybe I’m overthinking it. Either ways, I like “wax”Pinnacle Jeweling Wax

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •HD Speed:

also be a Jeweling Wax?

Bob
    Weren’t you the guy who called Imperial Hand Glaze your “favorite polish” the other day?Pinnacle Jeweling Wax How can a glaze be a polish? Lol.Pinnacle Jeweling Wax

7. Likes WaxMaster1, VitreousHumor, Maxreed241 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Weren’t you the guy who called Imperial Hand Glaze your “favorite polish” the other day?Pinnacle Jeweling Wax How can a glaze be a polish? Lol.Pinnacle Jeweling Wax

Let's stop with this agitating others. Recently a number of your posts have been reported.

Remember the forum rules and actually a pretty good rule to live your life by...

Forum Rules

The second sentence in rule #4

If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all, this also includes talking to others in a demeaning manner.

Post Thanks / Like

Understood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    My reason for it is what if they get to talking to someone they know or even another detailer and describe to them that I applied a “wax” to protect their daily driver. That other detailer could begin snickering about how I should have done better than protecting his vehicle with a measly “wax” Pinnacle Jeweling Wax

eh, I think it would say more about the other 'detailer' if they derided you for using a 'wax' on a customer's car. On this site alone, there are a number of 'waxes' selling for over $100 a piece, several of those at $200 or more. You certainly don't see 'high end' sealants commanding that kind of price tag (maybe with 'hybrid' waxes). Now, you may not offer those types of high end waxes to your customers but I think it would be easy to have a discussion/education around 'waxes' and how they aren't all created equal.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post

eh, I think it would say more about the other 'detailer' if they derided you for using a 'wax' on a customer's car.

One of the criteria I use to determine what to seal a customer's car with is what do they want, not what does the world want.

Right now ceramic coatings are the rage, understandably. But for some people and for some cars, a wax and even a cleaner/wax is the right choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    eh, I think it would say more about the other 'detailer' if they derided you for using a 'wax' on a customer's car. On this site alone, there are a number of 'waxes' selling for over $100 a piece, several of those at $200 or more. You certainly don't see 'high end' sealants commanding that kind of price tag (maybe with 'hybrid' waxes). Now, you may not offer those types of high end waxes to your customers but I think it would be easy to have a discussion/education around 'waxes' and how they aren't all created equal.
    I was thinking more along the lines of the growing number of coating snobs. [not anyone here] but you get people out there who get real excited about things...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast